Gearing Up for Pottytraining

Look who’s wearing big boy undies.

Not often, and not for long, but we’re practicing. Gearing up for our three-day-weekend potty training extravaganza, scheduled to begin next Friday.

Changing a newborn’s diaper pushed me over the edge. Once I had something to compare it to, I realized Roy’s bum had grown huge over the last couple of years. And his poops. They’re practically man-sized.

Plus, on a daily basis, he disappears into a corner and turns quiet with concentration, and when we ask what he’s doing he says, “I’m pooping.” And when we ask if he’d like to do so on the toilet, he simply refuses. It’s just so purposeful. Quite the opposite of the helpless baby on the other side of the room, grunting and wriggling and unselfconsciously expelling large quantities of bright yellow liquid into her teensy diaper.

Enough is enough.

Clearly I’m ready. Outside of often refusing to #2 on the toilet, he seems ready. Pees on the toilet several times a day and exhibits extreme pride over his Thomas and friends undies, as well as a desire to keep them nice and dry. When we were out scouting big boy beds at Ikea last weekend, he kept asking Clint to take him into the bathroom—not to potty, mind you. Just to suss the situation out. See what he was signing up for.

So next Friday, we’re starting our pants-free potty training weekend. Just me and my mom, two potty chairs, lots of water and one toddler, naked from the waist down. It’s a version of Julie Fellom’s Diaper Free Toddlers Program. We call it The Potty Train. All aboard!

Back To Love & Diapers
  1. by Kerry

On March 22, 2012 at 1:23 pm

We just did the potty training thing with my 2-1/2 year old and she was pee trained for a good 2 months before she decided she would #2 in the potty as well. And you know all it took? Filling a shoe box with dollar store toys and crafts and calling it “poopy prizes”. 15 minutes after she discovered this box, she was going #2 on the potty and never looked back! Best of luck to you!

2. by Berit Thorkelson

On March 22, 2012 at 1:58 pm

For a while, he was motivated by a matchbox car for a toilet-poop. Not so any longer. Maybe a boxful-o-treats like that would be different, for reasons of variety and sheer volume. Hmmm….

3. by Eileen

On March 22, 2012 at 3:40 pm

So I know this isn’t going to be a popular response; but I don’t think pushing is the answer, esp. with boys. Encouragement, yes…but not pushing. All three of mine did it in their own time. They aren’t little machines to be managed. Roy just turned 2 right? I know neither of my boys got the poop thing right till almost three (and Sam was beyond that because we moved to Iowa in the middle of it). And I will say even though I did get frustrated at times, we didn’t have to clean up messes off the floor.
    Just wanted to give another point of view.

4. by Berit Thorkelson

On March 22, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Eileen, of course I welcome your point of view. Yep, he just turned two. He’s been kind of “into” the potty for a while, to the point where he was almost day-trained (#1 and #2) about 6 months ago, and he took the lead on all of that. Then he changed his mind, and we’ve just rolled with it. So I’m hoping some concentrated, enthusiastic cheerleading over getting back into it is all he needs. I promise I’ll back off if he’s resistant :)

5. by Jessica

On March 22, 2012 at 8:11 pm

Just poop in your pants and make him change it. That’ll teach him.

6. by anti Jen

On March 26, 2012 at 1:41 pm

^^^ I LOVE JULIE.

7. by Liz

On March 27, 2012 at 9:51 am

I also love Julie’s response! Hope the weekend went well.

8. by Liz

On March 27, 2012 at 9:52 am

Um, I meant Jessica:)

9. by gordon

On March 29, 2012 at 4:29 pm

My boy is 4. He was potty trained for over a year. He always peed and pooped on the potty. My ex and I split up last October and ever since then he has been pooping in his pants and refusing. He hides. he says “it went away” or “it won’t come out”. I have tried putting diapers back on him and tried to give him mirilax but won’t take it because everything I put it in he won’t drink or spits it out. I try to make him take the medicine the old fashion way and kicks and puts up a fuss so hard that one time he got it in his eye.

I guess it needs to be at their own pace but I am extremely frustrated at this point in time. Can someone email me at deftond@msn.com if you have any suggestions.

10. by Berit Thorkelson

On March 29, 2012 at 8:50 pm

Ah, Gordon, your poor kid. Wish I could help, but I’m no psych expert and obviously new to the potty train myself. Clearly a difficult time for both of you.

11. by Chantel Hawkins

On April 22, 2012 at 1:29 am

by Chantel Hawkins

Good Afternnon, to all, or at least it is here in Guam (Sunday April 22, 2012). I just started potty training my 2 1/2 daughter Madison. She is more thrilled to play with the potty than to sit on it. Any suggestions?