Tummywatch Tuesday: 20 Weeks

20 weeks belly shotAaaand here we are. The halfway point. It’s crazy to think that I now, most likely, have less time left than I’ve put in. I’m feeling pretty big, but I know I’m going to get a whole lot bigger. Waddle-when-I-walk bigger. Tummy-bumping-into-furniture bigger. What-do-my-feet-look-like-again? bigger. Fun times.

That must happen pretty quickly, because when you think about it, Halloween’s just around the corner. Thanksgiving comes in a flash after that. Everything between Thanksgiving and New Year’s is generally a complete blur, and all of a sudden, it’s January. The month during which I shall give birth. Oh my god, I’m so incredibly close to being a mom of two. I better start hunting for minivans.

I’m not completely kidding. We are on the lookout for something bigger than our little VW Jetta, partly because I’m just no good at driving it. I drove a little red Chevy S10, a manual, for most of my adult life, and I miss it terribly. This thing is so low to the ground that I keep running into curbs and things, so even though we’re just a few years in, the silver bullet’s looking pretty sad. I want something that sits higher up, is big enough for both kids and a weekend’s worth of camping gear (including a Burley), and gets decent gas mileage. (Recommendations welcome.) Whenever I say this, inevitably someone says, “Don’t get a minivan! It’s what moms drive!” Um, news flash. I’M A MOM. It’s not a coincidence we drive large vehicles that can hold multiple kids. I in no way feel as if that’s a bad thing. It’s reality. My reality. Which I happen to love. I could rock a minivan without any self-consciousness whatsoever. I probably will.

20 weeks coconut

Parents.com’s week-by-week babytracker says my girl is currently coconut-sized. That seems about right. I’m still calling her a girl, though I am waiting to actively clear out the boy stuff until my 20-week ultrasound next week. If she turns out to be a boy, I’ll still be thrilled, but we’ll have some re-positioning to do. One of Roy’s favorite words right now is sister, and he seems to know that it applies to my growing belly. Which he loves to kiss, hug and say goodnight to. It melts my heart.

Actually, Roy has always seemed to know something was up. Back when I first conceived, before Clint and I barely even spoke of the pregnancy for fear of jinxing ourselves, out of the blue, Roy took to resting his index finger solidly in my belly button during our before-bed time together. The first time I thought it was a fluke. But he did it night after night. He nicknamed her Juni, which is how we refer to the baby now. We’ll say, “When Juni’s here,” or “Look at what so-and-so got Juni.” Things like that. She’s got a nickname at least. That, plus a mom, dad and baby brother who’ve all been dying to meet her (or him) since day one. And, with any luck, a primo rear-facing spot in a gently used minivan littered with matchbox cars and goldfish crackers, because that’s how we roll.

Coconut photo credit: Marty Baldwin

Back To Love & Diapers
  1. by Eileen

On September 13, 2011 at 9:51 pm

I can’t make a recommendation on which vans are best these days, being from the dark ages : ) But I’m glad you are looking forward to those days, they are a blast…room for friends, carpooling for school, groceries, seperate seats for when the little darlings aren’t getting along…the list goes on and on. Let the good times roll…in a minivan : ) Do you remember our red Toyota van?
    You look adorable and pregnant Berit.

2. by Jamie M.

On September 14, 2011 at 10:29 am

A year and a half ago when we did our searching the Kia Sedona had the top safty rating. (Which is what we got) I love our van! We have three kids 5 and under so the van comes in handy!

3. by Susan

On September 14, 2011 at 10:50 am

The Toyota Sienna has some pretty hilarious mom advertisements on youtube and seems to be rated pretty well…(search swagger wagon on youtube!)

4. by Amanda

On September 14, 2011 at 10:54 am

Congrats on #2 on the way!
    I am a mother of a 2yr old daughter & a 3mon old daughter.
    My current vehicle is a Ford Focus!! We have NO room but manage!
    My husband & I defiantly plan on getting something w/ more room as soon as he finishes school!
    My dream car is a Honda Oddesy! Yes, I too could rock a mini van w/ no shame!! Just thinking of all of the room I would have makes me smile! ;o)
    Good luck w/ everything!

5. by Berit Thorkelson

On September 14, 2011 at 11:02 am

E: vaguely… kind of darker red?

OK, one vote each Kia Sedona, Toyota Sienna and Honda Odyssey. I’m keeping track.

P.S. I can’t believe I posted that photo. I look insane.

6. by Melissa

On September 14, 2011 at 2:14 pm

I got a Ford Windstar which was gentally used with one door on the backseat that opens automactially with a push of a button. Love it and Love having a mini van even tho I’m 24 with only 1 kid!! Much more room to trash with toys and cheerios!! haha at least she never gets bored in it!!

7. by Stefanie

On September 15, 2011 at 9:47 am

You look so cute – you are so full of life and energy and your pictures should show that!
    Vans make me sad. Which is why we have an explorer/gas hog. (Also because we go hunting and do that kind of stuff that it’s nice to have an suv for) One plus, it does take E85 which is cheaper and helps save a bit on the fill-ups. Still tons of room when we are hauling Mom Dad aunt Tracie, Royce and dogs!
    When we test drove mini-vans, I was amazed at the Chrysler Town and Country – such a smooth ride, so much room, turned easily – but something to remember, they are also super low to the ground even though YOU are higher up! This is what makes for the smooth ride, of course:)
    Toyota’s usually have the best track-record for lasting a very long time – and since more kids = more budgeting, that would be what I have to recommend:)
    Cars are like houses – you’ll know what’s right for you when you test drive it. Next time you drive a house, let me know, I wanna see it. Happy car shopping!!

8. by Kara

On September 16, 2011 at 9:44 am

Hey look at you! Can’t wait to “bump” into you soon! As for the car, I can’t make any good reco’s since I’m still a non-minivan owner despite driving 4 around. What I have is too big and guzzles way too much gas. But it fits all of us, the dog, plus all our bikes too:-)