Damn These Pregnancy Hormones (Sob! Grrr!)

If becoming a mother turned me into a bit of a softie, becoming a pregnant mother has turned me into an absolute puddle.

Take this morning at the gym, for example. Like usual, I head over to the line of treadmills, facing a wall of mirrors, and find my place among the walkers and joggers. Also as usual, I tune into The Today Show. A story comes on about the San Diego police officer shot and killed at a fast-food restaurant. That alone is terribly, terribly sad, but then they go on to describe a sweet interaction he had with a little kid begging 10 cents off him for a cookie, just moments before he was shot. They even interview the actual kid. Normally, I can weather the mix of emotions a story like this stirs up; allow the sympathy and grief and such to mingle, unnoticeably, then fade. Not now. Not at Week 16. So there I am, navigating a suppressed public cry—tear-clouded vision, knit brow, pursed lips, massive knot in throat. Thanks to that damn line of mirrors, I can tell you with certainty that I did not pull this off well.

A few deep breaths, and I have my Anonymous Unaffected Gym Member face back. But then they move on to the story about the kid here in Minnesota; the one who nailed the long-shot mid-rink hockey goal for $50,000 under his twin brother’s name. It wasn’t the fact that he might not get the money that got me. It was the replay of the kid making the shot—footage I’d seen probably five times before. Again: Face like I am sucking on a lemon wedge while chopping an onion. Awesome.

Then it hit me. Even if the next story is about Matt Lauer’s colonoscopy, it will make me cry. Which leads me to believe that I’ve reached that time in my pregnancy when I should seriously consider relegating my TV-watching to the privacy of my own home.

Actually, it’s probably not that simple. The other day, I saw a woman at the grocery store who looked about ten years older than me. Which made me think about how ten years from now, I’ll have kids past the halfway point to adulthood. Instant tears. Why yes, I AM silently sobbing in the refrigerated section because one day my unborn child will be ten. And?

As much as I wish they didn’t, my hormones do, at times, swing the other way. The other day, Clint was doing god-knows-what completely innocuous act—probably breathing—and it got under my skin. Drove me nuts with annoyance. “I really hope I don’t divorce you before this baby comes,” I told him, which I swear gave us a little laugh. We both know I was not implying that he’s done anything but more than his fair share around the house, including catering to my every crazy-pregnant-lady mood and whim. It’s just that thanks to these hormones, I can, without warning, be just that insane.

Waaah. I’m in the mood for commiseration. Tell me your pregnancy-hormone stories and make me feel better?

Back To Love & Diapers
  1. by Amy

On August 17, 2011 at 1:50 pm

I am waiting to see if I am pregnant this month, hormones may be a little crazy already because your post nearly made me cry! If for anything but a little one, the toll hormones take would never be worth it, but alas, the result is 1000 times worth it.

2. by Berit Thorkelson

On August 17, 2011 at 1:52 pm

You’re right. Totally 100% worth it. Fingers crossed for you, Amy!

3. by anti jen

On August 17, 2011 at 2:30 pm

I used to yell at the neighbors when it sounded like they were having too much fun on their porch at night.

4. by Tammy

On August 17, 2011 at 8:21 pm

When I was about 7 months pregnant I rented and watched the movie “Marley and Me”. I thought it was going to be a comedy. MAN was I wrong. I cried for hours after it ended. I was depressed and livid for a couple of weeks. I even wanted to write a letter to the movie makers about how wrong it was to fasely advertise that movie as a comedy. I never got around to it though. Shortly after is when I went into full blown nesting mode and was far too busy washing and re-washing all the babies clothes, blankets, bibs, etc.

5. by Berit Thorkelson

On August 18, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Jen, don’t you still do that?

Tammy :) you do have to be super-careful about your movie choices, don’t you? Well, viewing choices in general.

6. by Mrs. Mckernan

On August 18, 2011 at 9:30 pm

I made the mistake of watching the pixar movie UP, I could not stop the tears from running down my puffy face! But the worst happened while at work, i cried because an employee did not want to complete a task i had assigned! That was the worst of it! But for me it didnt get better unfortunately until by baby actually turned 6months, post partum is a pretty emotional time but we all know that everything we go through is worth it and i wouldnt trade this experience for anything in the world. I love my bubzzy wubbzy!

7. by Margie Sims

On August 18, 2011 at 9:33 pm

I am 19 weeks with #10 and find that I am quick to tear up more easily than usual. It will pass, I tell myself. Nine out of nine times, it always has.

Margie Sims

8. by Sarah@theAutoMomma

On August 19, 2011 at 9:03 am

The worst that happened when I was pregnant with my first son was that hubby and I went to see Transformers 2 and I spent much of it crying over a variety of not that emotional scenes. Like when Bumblebee is sad because Shia LeBouf is going off to college. Seriously.

With my current pregnancy, my emotional state is an absolute wreck! Everything hubby does makes me crazy one minute, then I love him madly the next. I cry over pretty much anything that is touching. Or not touching. I feel like I’m going crazy and it sucks because with my first pregnancy I was so proud of how mellow, chill, and happy I was. Well, except for when I watched Transformers. Ha!

9. by tricia

On August 19, 2011 at 9:37 am

I am 16 weeks pregnant and I have a 6 month old daughter. My maternity leave is officially over and I have to take my little one to daycare Monday and head off to work. I am an emotional wreck and have been all month gearing up for this transition. Being preggo is NOT helping!

10. by Jill Cordes

On August 22, 2011 at 7:38 pm

Berit-my husband is in LA right now, and since we’re going through dual pregnancies (you and me) and potty training toddlers (with the same brand toilet) I thought I’d tell you that I LOVE HAVING HIM GONE. At least for these past couple days. Is that the pregnancy horomones talking? I can only imagine. I moped around before he left thinking I was just depressed. Then, as soon as he vacated, I was on a high. Vacuuming, running, taking Fia to the zoo all day. Definitely bizarre.

As for the tv–don’t watch. At least those stories. They will continue to wreck you. It’s too emotional a time. Focus on potty training. That will make you frustrated, not sad. (ha. I am in no hurry, as I said on my blog. But it’s cute to watch her “try”).