Going Public with Pregnancy

newborn baby feetI’ve got news I’ve been wanting to share with you for a while: I’m knocked up! Expecting. In a family way. Call it what you will, I’ve been busy gestating for over 14 weeks now. The due date is January 29th, just three days after Roy’s second birthday. I probably don’t even need to add that Clint and I are both absolutely thrilled.

We’ve been telling friends and family over the past week, so I will now anticipate and answer your first question: I’ve been feeling monumentally crappy, thanks for asking. More on that later. I’ll keep this focused on the positive, good news. Baby!

I’ve been scared to embrace this pregnancy, not allowing myself to plan or get excited or really even think about it that much. Even when we went in to the doctor’s office at 9 weeks and he picked up the heartbeat with the doppler. Even when he told me what a great sign it was to hear that little thump-thump so early, making my chances of miscarriage very, very low. I was hesitant.

When we went in for an ultrasound at 12 weeks, I prayed that little heart would still be beating. And it was. We told our amazing tech, Koua, whom we also had for my first pregnancy, that if he could tell the sex, we’d like to know. Early, I know, but Koua is an ultrasound guru of sorts; a superstar who also teaches the art/skill. Mere moments later, he paused the wand, locking in a steady, real-time full-body side shot. Wee arms and legs wriggled about. It was surreal. That was happening inside me right at that moment. I was breathless. Transfixed. Then Koua said: “There’s your little baby girl.”

Those five words released three months’ worth of bottled-up reality. I started bawling, and I couldn’t stop. The sobbing continued through the drive home, during which Clint finally asked, “You’re happy, right?” Through tears, I nodded vigorously. Only now, nearly two weeks later, am I able to relay the news without losing it again. Well, sometimes.

Honestly? I’m still worried. That probably won’t end until the baby—she!—is here. Ah, who am I kidding? I already have one kid, so I’m beginning to realize it’s never going to end.

And I couldn’t be happier.

Image © Nevit Dilmen

Back To Love & Diapers
  1. by Aby Garvey

On August 4, 2011 at 12:12 pm

So happy for you Berit! Your post gave me happy little goosebumps…it was a long, long time ago when we learned about our baby girl. She’s ten now…and you’re right…that worry never really goes away. Congrats to all of you!

Aby

2. by Eve

On August 4, 2011 at 1:55 pm

Congratulations! So exciting. I can’t wait to hear about cooking baby number 2 and all that comes with it!

3. by Brittany

On August 4, 2011 at 2:07 pm

Congratulations berit!
    I had an abortion at 15 because of medical problems. I regret it more than anything & it was very traumatic. 4 years later I got pregnant and had the little girl I wanted so bad. She is now 3.5. Last year I had a miscarriage. It was like a big nightmare that I couldn’t wake up from. I just found out that I am 5 weeks pregnant. My mind & body hasn’t came to believe it & I dont think it will till I hear that heartbeat and have my first ultrasound.

4. by melissa

On August 4, 2011 at 2:08 pm

Congratulations,I have a just turned two year old and and three week old right now and going from one to two is more difficult than going from none to one or, just as difficult.It may be the “terrible twos” and the new adjustment of a baby being around. Goodluck, let me know what your thoughts are when the baby arrives!

5. by Heather

On August 4, 2011 at 2:21 pm

Congrats, Berit! What a blessing and such exciting news:)

6. by Smiling

On August 4, 2011 at 2:39 pm

Congrats to you! I totally relate to this post.
    I am now 13 weeks pregnant and a bit hesitant to share with the world quite yet, perhaps I’ll let our family and friends know after my next appointment next week. I’m so afraid something might happen,or that perhaps the dr won’t hear the heartbeat although at my u/s last week there a real, live baby there sucking its thumb. I’m still in awe. *sigh* I had a miscarriage 3 years ago and an active, happy 2 year old, so I do know blessings happen!

7. by Betsy

On August 4, 2011 at 2:43 pm

Congratulations, Berit!! How thrilling to know already that you’re having a girl, too. Blessings abound through those little miracles we get to carry with us!

8. by Jamie

On August 4, 2011 at 2:59 pm

Congrats on your baby girl! We just found out were having a girl. My emotions ran wild when they told us because we already have two boys. The tech told us well I guess your going to have to have a garage sale and I thought what is she talking about. But then she said you will have to sell all your baby boy things because your having a girl. The way she said it was a teary moment for us (Happy). Were due Dec 9th and can’t wait:)

9. by Berit Thorkelson

On August 4, 2011 at 3:30 pm

Good to hear from everyone… your stories and well wishes are not helping the tears! :)

10. by Elizabeth

On August 4, 2011 at 3:30 pm

I am due January 31st and we haven’t told anyone in our family yet, not even our two oldest children. This will be our 4th child and just dont feel like we need to rush and tell everyone, gonna wait it out as long as we can, well till im showing so much that theres no hiding it anymore lol :)
    Congratualtions on your pregnancy!

11. by Anti Jen

On August 4, 2011 at 3:45 pm

Big tears when I read this. Love to you and yours, as always!

12. by Stefanie

On August 4, 2011 at 3:53 pm

Congrats! My fear of losing the baby didn’t leave until 35 weeks…and then I just wanted him out! It’s kind of a blessed worry….can’t wait till its time for our second.:) I can’t wait to see her! And so sorry you feel icky! It will end!

13. by Kelly

On August 4, 2011 at 4:44 pm

Congrats. I myself am due Feb 7th so I’m right behind you. This is our 2 baby also. Our tech said that ours also looks like shes going to be a girl but she didn’t want to get my hopes up. I already have a 17 month old little girl and if this one is a girl ill be trilled although hubby wants a boy. But best of luck to your growing family. And Happy and Healthy pregnancies to all you ladies.

14. by katie d.

On August 4, 2011 at 5:10 pm

Wah!!! So happy!!!! One of my biggest questions: how do all you ladies keep a lid on it for THREE MONTHS?

15. by Julia

On August 4, 2011 at 7:39 pm

Congratulations!!!! I’m so thrilled for you!! :)

16. by Berit Thorkelson

On August 5, 2011 at 2:22 pm

Katie: it’s especially hard for the first one, I think, to keep it a secret. Also, a lot of people don’t wait. We’ll talk about it more after I get my personal tour of your new house :)

17. by Lori

On August 8, 2011 at 10:45 am

Congratulations!! My due date is Feb 1st, right behind you and…two days after my son’s 2nd birthday! Funny little coincidence, huh?

18. by Berit Thorkelson

On August 8, 2011 at 10:49 am

Lori – awesome! congrats to you, too!

19. by Jill Cordes

On August 11, 2011 at 6:51 pm

Berit–I’m your fellow pregnant blogger. Ya ready for this? We have the same due date!!!!! crazy. Congrats. You will love having a girl. We’re having a boy this time, but I already got my girl. (and you already got your boy).) Cheers!

20. by Berit

On August 11, 2011 at 8:13 pm

Jill: no way! That is insane. You will love, love, love having a boy. I look forward to following your (simultaneous) journey.

21. by Molly