Morning ritual

boy and dog under the fusciaI like to move as slowly as possible in the mornings. This is a new thing. As far back as I can remember, mornings have started by pressing the snooze button over and over, then jumping into a chaotic blur of showering, dressing, coffee and maybe food—those last two often happening during a hurried commute. Arriving late has always been the norm, whether it be to school, job or my laptop. Blowing a self-imposed start-time counts! I’ve never much been a fan of mornings.

That ritual of sorts was among the many things upended once Roy came along. Now, I’m committed to slowly savoring the small slice of time we have together before he heads to daycare and I to work. The time is there to savor, since Roy’s inner alarm clock rouses us both at around 6:30, earlier than I ever would have woken on my own. He has no snooze option. I married a morning person—opposites attract—so Clint’s gone by the time we rise. It’s just the boy and I, in a morning-quiet house, setting the tone to our respective days.

My favorite part, since the warm weather hit, happens once we’ve made it downstairs and put our shoes on. The dog’s still upstairs, reluctant to leave her warm patch on the bed until she knows we mean business. Roy gives her the signal, standing at the bottom of the stairs yelling, “Mon! Didi! Side!” (Translation from toddlerspeak: “C’mon, Nico! Let’s go outside!”)

toddler, dog & bus

And so Nico comes down, and we all head out to the side porch. It’s quite narrow, and I’ve somehow managed to convince him that walking down the stairs is not an option, so he is well contained. I fiddle with the fuschia as Roy plays with his brooms and Nico does her business. All the action stops when a telltale rumble starts in the distance, signalling that a large vehicle of some sort is about to make a brief appearance between the hedges. Delivery trucks, garbage trucks and buses are the consistent and most impressive draws.

We wave goodbye to it, then go about our business for a minute, until the next one rumbles past. If you would have told me a couple of years back that one day soon, I’d be happily waving at a garbage trucks at 7 AM, I would have called you crazy. But here I am.

I like mornings much better now.

What daily rituals do you savor?

Back To Love & Diapers
  1. by Stefanie

On June 7, 2011 at 2:21 pm

I love the bus picture – perfect! I love your new morning ritual – it sounds much like our house. Marty’s a morning person and gone by the time baby is up…and Royce doesn’t have a snooze either!! Funny how kids can completely change your whole world.

2. by Rebecca Connolly

On June 7, 2011 at 3:03 pm

Sounds great! Mornings in our household do not run quite so smoothly ha…. With My 5 year old, 4 year old, 5 month old and bump to get out the door to school, nursary & work somedays, it feels like we need to get up in the middle of the night to make it on time! All good fun though and we all look forward to our evening routine with the older two setting the table and us all eating and talking together.

3. by Jennifer

On June 7, 2011 at 8:42 pm

We like waving to you and Roy as we wait at the bus stop. (Me in my jammies, yes.)

4. by Jackie N.

On June 8, 2011 at 8:29 am

I can relate so much. Once I became preganant, I was late to work 75% of the time. That has changed somewhat depending on when Matty wakes up. If he does wake us both up at 6:30am, I will definitely be late. I stop between everyone of my morning activities to babble with him and scream as loud as we can! I never pictured myself either acting like a complete crazy person just to make my little laugh. It’s the best thing in the world. =)

5. by Berit Thorkelson

On June 8, 2011 at 8:57 am

Stef, yet another similarity, huh? Jen, I love you in your jammies at the bus stop. That will most certainly be me in a few years! And Jackie, I love picturing you and your son babble-screaming in the morning. I, too, would do anything to get a baby laugh.

6. by Eve

On June 8, 2011 at 11:17 am

I love this. I can very much relate to this. How is it that I was always late to a job that started at 8:30? Unlike Roy, Milo’s alarm goes off at 5-5:30. Eric and Milo have a very sweet session of “turtle time” until I make it out of bed. Granted Eric has been up since 4, maybe 4:30, and had feed animals, opened the greenhouse and made a plan for the day.