Wednesday, June 12th, 2013
Just in time for the True Blood season premiere this weekend, the show’s stars, Anna Paquin and Stephen Moyer, finally spilled the beans on the names of their adorable boy-girl twins. (I was worried they’d be sent off to college before we found out what they’re called!) And the names are: Poppy and Charlie—two names I just happen to adore.
Poppy is obviously a floral name, a bright, cheerful bloom with a name that’s just as joyful. Unlike fellow floral names Lily and Violet, Poppy still hasn’t cracked the top 1000, but it’s been a relatively popular name with the celebrity set. (Anthony Edwards, Jamie Oliver and Jessica Capshaw all picked the name for their daughters.) It fits beautifully with the name Stephen chose for his daughter from a previous relationship—Lilac.
And Charlie’s name goes hand-in-hand with the name of Stephen’s older son—Billy. It has the same casual take on a traditional name that we all know and love. No word on whether they went for the official Charles (which currently ranks #62 in baby names in the U.S.), or straight for the nickname (Charlie ranks #233 for boys). Either way, the name means “free man.”
We don’t have their middle names, but I’d probably pair Poppy with something longer—like Caroline, Clementine or Josephine. I like Charlie with something short and sweet, like James, Brooks or Bennett.
What do you think of Poppy and Charlie as a twin set? What middle names would you pick for them? And if you’re as stoked as I am for the season premiere of True Blood this weekend, check out my list of True Blood names that might just be perfect for you.
And don’t forget to like In Name Only on Facebook to keep up with the very latest in baby names!
Image: Anna Paquin and Stephen Moyer by Helga Esteb / Shutterstock.com
Add a Comment
Thursday, December 13th, 2012
It’s that time of year again, when every media outlet summarizes the big stories of the year. (Sometimes, I think I might just skip watching CNN and reading the newspaper and just catch up on everything I missed, splashed in stylish slideshows, when the year ends.)
So here’s my year in review, of everything baby name related:
• Stars are keeping their baby names secret—and that reticence seems to spur even bigger hoopla over their babies. It took months for Sarah Michelle Gellar and Uma Thurman to finally reveal their babies’ names. And we still don’t know what Adele or Stephen Moyer and Anna Paquin picked for their babies.
• We’re totally obsessed with what Wills and Kate will name their baby (or is it babies???). My blog post speculating on potential royal baby names was already one of the most popular ones this year. I’m looking forward to finding out if my guesses were anywhere near correct.
• We’re asking for help with our baby names. Yahoo! CEO Marisa Mayer famously crowdsourced her son’s name (MacAllister), but other people are turning toward naming experts or simply posting their options on websites like ours looking for opinions. (And hey, if you do want some free advice, feel free to send your dilemma our way at firstname.lastname@example.org.)
• Stars are still choosing offbeat baby names. I’ve chosen my 10 most intriguing celebrity baby names, but there was no scarcity of interesting choices that didn’t make the cut. Like Jason Lee’s Sonny, or Sienna Miller’s Marlowe Ottoline. Of course, celebrities don’t have the monopoly on weird baby names—just consider poor Hashtag Jameson.
• We’ve already rounded up our top Parents.com baby names. And some of the top names on our site might surprise you (Bradley for a boy—Cadence for a girl, for instance?)
• I made my predictions of some of the hottest baby names for 2013. If you’re picking Olive or Declan and thinking your kiddo will be the only one sporting that name in preschool, think again.
What do you think was the most interesting baby name story of the year? Share it in the comments below. (And don’t forget to like In Name Only on Facebook, so you can keep up with the coolest names of the week, the latest in celebrity baby name news, and all things baby names!)
Photo: 2012 by © Devi /Shutterstock.com
Add a Comment
anna paquin, celebrities, celebrity baby names, kate middleton, popular baby names, prince william, royal baby names, sarah michelle gellar, stephen moyer, top baby names of 2012, uma thurman | Categories:
Baby Name News, Baby Name Stories, Celebrity Baby Names, In Name Only, Must Read, Top Baby Names