Tori Spelling’s New Baby’s Name…

It’s a boy for Tori Spelling and Dean McDermott, and they’ve named this little guy Finn Davey. It’s a name that fits in beautifully with the names of the rest of their big brood—they already have Liam Aaron, Stella Doreen and Hattie Margaret (who is just 10 months older than her newest sibling…yikes!).

The name Finn is Irish (perfect with the last name McDermott), and it means fair-haired. It’s a name that’s become relatively popular for boys, clocking in just under the top 300. It’s been on the rise lately—I’m sure in no small part to the fact that Glee’s leading man bears the name.

As for Davey, well, they’re following the popular nickname-as-a-name trend. Davey is a derivative of David, which means beloved—and is one of the most popular names of all time, consistently ranking in the top 20 names in the U.S. It’s a classic Biblical name that’s been the moniker for countless notable guys. It’s actually also Tori Spelling’s middle name, so it’s a homage to his mother.

Interestingly, this is the first baby in their family who doesn’t bear a two-syllable first name, and also the first one that doesn’t have an ultratraditional middle name (you really can’t get much more traditional than Aaron, Doreen and Margaret). But it’s clear that this family prefers short and sweet first names to go with their longer last name. And it works beautifully.

What do you think of Tori and Dean’s name choice for their new baby? Would you choose this name (or any of their other kids’ names) for your own baby?

Photo: Tori Spelling by s_bukley / Shutterstock.com

Back To In Name Only

Find a Baby Name

Browse by

or Enter a name

1. by Anna

On August 31, 2012 at 9:22 am

Finn was one of my choices for my now 3 year old son, but my husband didn’t like it, so we agreed to name him Broox Finnley. It was a win win. Congrats to them on their newest addition

2. by Elizabeth

On August 31, 2012 at 9:29 am

Davey is Tori spelling’s middle name.

Also, I don’t know why you call Doreen ultratraditional. It’s not.

3. by Rachel

On August 31, 2012 at 9:30 am

I like Finn McDermott. I think it flows well. I don’t like Davey though, seems too young for a life-long name.

4. by Emily D

On August 31, 2012 at 9:33 am

Finn is one of the frontrunners for our 3rd boy, due in November!

5. by Melody

On August 31, 2012 at 9:38 am

I think it’s a great name! It isn’t one that I would necessarily give any of my own kids, but it sounds pretty normal for the child of a celebrity. Congratulations to them!

6. by Hobart

On August 31, 2012 at 9:52 am

I think most of her names are great- she lost me with Hattie though.

7. by Dannee

On August 31, 2012 at 11:33 am

Love it! I didn’t even know she was expecting again. Wow, I am really behind. Congrats to them all!!! I loved all the other names even though they are a bit different.

8. by Tammie

On August 31, 2012 at 4:32 pm

I think it is a very cute name, it goes well with the other names of their childrn. They all sound lie names that fit their looks. What a nice little family they ave. I like that they are not afraid to have more than one or two kids like most celebraties do. I think they ar very much into their kids.

9. by Tammie

On August 31, 2012 at 4:35 pm

sorry for the spelling mistakes *have *are.

10. by Natalie

On September 10, 2012 at 2:28 am

I LOVE it!!! I might be a bit biased though: my beautiful 18 month old son is named Finn Jayden :)

11. by Natalie

On October 15, 2012 at 7:42 pm

I first heard Stella after she named her 1st daughter that & I named my daughter Stella! I’m pregnant again & am looking at names & just tonight before I read this story I said I really liked the name Finn!