Snooki’s a Mommy!

Jersey Shore regular Nicole Snooki Polizzi shared the news of the birth of her first baby by announcing that “the world just got another Guido.” (Oh, boy.) Her new son, with fiance Jionni Lavalle, is named Lorenzo Dominic Lavalle.

That’s about as traditional an Italian name as you can get—Lorenzo is an Italian variation on Laurence, which means “laurel wreathed,” and it’s a name that is currently residing in the top 350 baby names in the U.S. The middle name, Dominic, is actually a much more popular name (currently ranked number 76), and means “belonging to the Lord.”

The name flows pretty nicely—though for some reason, I can’t stop picturing Brad Pitt and his crew trying to say it in their hilarious faux Italian accents in Inglourious Bastards. The name may be a bit of a mouthful, but it’s perfect for a child of two people with strong ties to their Italian roots. And there’s nothing more timeless than choosing a name that reflects your family’s heritage.

Given the Jersey Shore crew’s noted passion for nicknames, though, I’m guessing he’s not going to be called Lorenzo on a daily basis. The most common nickname for Lorenzo is simply Renzo, but I’m guessing they’re going to be more creative than that. Maybe something like EZ or Enzy or Zo?

What do you think of Snooki’s name choice? Would you consider choosing a baby name that reflects your family’s heritage?

Photo: Snooki Polizzi via s_bukley / Shutterstock.com

Back To In Name Only

Find a Baby Name

Browse by

or Enter a name

1. by Abby@AppMtn

On August 26, 2012 at 2:52 pm

Honestly, I cannot believe how much I like this name! If you’d told me that a 20-something reality star known for such exploits would turn out to be such a great baby namer, well … never would’ve guessed. I’m already mentally naming Lorenzo’s little sisters and brothers …

2. by amanda

On August 26, 2012 at 8:16 pm

I cant believe it but i actually love that name. Very nive!

3. by K8A

On August 26, 2012 at 8:16 pm

Snooki isn’t Italian, she is Chilean.

4. by amanda

On August 26, 2012 at 8:18 pm

I should really proofread before I comment next time!

5. by Jessica

On August 26, 2012 at 8:19 pm

My sons name is Lorenzo. We call him Enzo and Enz.

6. by jlynn

On August 26, 2012 at 8:24 pm

love the name!

7. by aida

On August 26, 2012 at 9:04 pm

I have a Lorenzo love the name I call him Enzo and I just added a Vincent both names are Italian origins but I’m Mexican in Latin America we also use them

8. by molly

On August 26, 2012 at 9:49 pm

I really love the short name Enzo, so much so I named my son Enzo-partly because there are not too many “Enzo”s out there. And the only super famous one I can think of is Ferrari. I hope this name doesn’t get super popular super fast- it took me a super long time to pick it out, i wanted an Italian name that would stand out in a list of names at school.

9. by Nancy

On August 26, 2012 at 10:27 pm

I think it’s pretty cool she stuck with a traditional name. All three of our boys are named family names after my hubs Sicilian tradition; Tommaso Giuseppe after my FIL, Stephano Gaetano after my dad & Nicolo Giuliano after the hubs!!! I love how our boys will forever have remembrance of their loved ones!

10. by Fire Fly

On August 26, 2012 at 10:30 pm

For those of you who don’t know, Snooki is not Italian- Not even 1%.

She is 100% Peruvian and was adopted by her dad who is Italian. However, this still does not make her an Italian.

11. by Lisa Milbrand

On August 26, 2012 at 10:54 pm

Thanks for all the comments! I was aware that Snooki was adopted and not originally of Italian descent, but given that her adoptive family was Italian, she seems to identify more with that culture than her birth culture.