Kourtney Kardashian’s New Girl’s Name (No “K” in it at all)

Kourtney Kardashian’s new baby girl won’t be following in her mother’s or aunts’ footsteps—there isn’t a K to be found in her name. Kourtney and fiance Scott Disick welcomed their second child, Penelope Scotland, over the weekend.

Penelope is a very traditional Greek name, and it means “weaver.” It was most famously the name of Odysseus’ long faithful wife in Homer‘s epic poem, The Odyssey. Thanks in part to actress Penelope Cruz, the name has risen in popularity in recent years, and currently ranks in the top 200 names in the U.S. It’s a name that comes with a few possible nicknames, including Pen, Penny and Nel.

And Kourtney isn’t the first celebrity to give her child the name Penelope. Both Tina Fey and Taylor Hansen gave their daughters the same name.

The middle name’s meaning is easy to guess—Kourtney is clearly following the place name trend to the extreme, and choosing a place that few people are naming their children after at the moment (no Brooklyn or Austin for them). I’d be interesting to find out why they selected that spot out of so many others to immortalize in her name.

Given that Kourtney and Scott’s choice of name for their son, Mason, quickly rose the name charts soon after and now sits in the second-place spot, I’d expect to see Penelope make a huge leap forward in the next year or two—unless people are truly sick of the Kardashians at this point. (That’s always a possibility, right?)

So what do you think of Kourtney’s name choice for her new daughter—did you expect her to choose something else (like Kaitlyn)? What do you think of their decision to buck the Kardashian family baby name theme? Will Penelope make it onto your short list of baby names?

Photo: Scott Disick and Kourtney Kardashian by s_bukley / Shutterstock.com

Back To In Name Only

Find a Baby Name

Browse by

or Enter a name

1. by Denise

On July 9, 2012 at 12:36 pm

…Disick has a “K” in it.

2. by joan

On July 9, 2012 at 12:44 pm

that little girl will not be happy when she grows up with her parents.. they have everything tell them to pick a better name than penny….something classy like them.just sayin’

3. by Abby

On July 9, 2012 at 12:44 pm

“husband” Scott? I don’t think they’re married.

4. by Staci

On July 9, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Kourtney and Scott aren’t married are they? It says in the article: Kourtney and husband Scott Disick welcomed their second child

5. by Sarah

On July 9, 2012 at 12:45 pm

I am not a genius, but I am sure the middle name Scotland is after her daddy Scott. Scotland is a good feminine form of his name.

6. by donna

On July 9, 2012 at 12:46 pm

tell them that “arianna” is a greek name .i think it means special blessing

7. by Lacey

On July 9, 2012 at 12:47 pm

maybe scotland is a tribute to scott?

8. by Melissa

On July 9, 2012 at 12:48 pm

NOOOO!!! I named my now 2 year old daughter Penelope because I wanted her to have a name that was not common but not too crazy. I have a feeling there’s gonna be a ton of Penelope’s now.

9. by jennifer

On July 9, 2012 at 12:49 pm

Kourtney and Scott are not married…

10. by Kelly

On July 9, 2012 at 12:50 pm

It’s probably Scotland for Scott (originally meant Scotsman).

11. by Sarah

On July 9, 2012 at 12:54 pm

My guess on the reason they chose “Scotland” was a play on Dad, Scott’s name. Mason’s middle name is “Dash” from Kardashian, so I think they followed that same trend to give Penelope a form of Scott. Could be coincidental, but my guess is that was how they came up with the name.

12. by Courtney

On July 9, 2012 at 1:11 pm

All I’m going to say is that my dog’s name is Penelope because I thought it was cute, but not for a human being!!!

13. by MeganB

On July 9, 2012 at 1:33 pm

CONGRATULATIONS TO KOURTNEY AND SCOTT!! Im sure she’s gorgeous no matter what her name is. I do love the name Penelope. Im sure the name choices become pretty limited when you follow a certain theme, thats probably why Kourtney decided to break the chain.

14. by Becky

On July 9, 2012 at 1:35 pm

Scotland probably came because of the daddy, Scott.

15. by Lisa Milbrand

On July 9, 2012 at 1:48 pm

Thanks for the catch on the husband front!

16. by Penny

On July 9, 2012 at 2:12 pm

@Joan: I have lived for 30 years with my name and I am perfectly happy with my mother’s choice. And as far as being classy, who are you to judge?

17. by kate

On July 9, 2012 at 3:43 pm

Scotland is where she wanted to go on vacation on the keeping up with the kardashians show I think…I don’t think its after Scott…

18. by Andrea

On July 9, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Taylor Hanson is spelled with an ‘on’ not ‘en’ at the end.

19. by Bethany

On July 9, 2012 at 5:02 pm

Maybe she was conceived in Scotland, stranger things have happened. Oh, and i don’t think its right to make fun of people because of their name, that is where bullying comes from and I would hope adults would set the example not be the example!

20. by Crystal

On July 9, 2012 at 5:50 pm

Kourtney wanted to go to Ireland for vacation at first. Not Scotland. I have a feeling Scotland is a play on Scott’s name.Especially(as others have mentioned) that Mason’s middle name was named after Kourt’s last name. I think the name Penelope is adorable and even if they call her Penny. That’s is very cute as well. Thank god they didn’t choose a odd and out there name like some celebrities do. I think they did a good job. My family is strictened with k names too. My mom tried to get creative and thought a C for Crystal would me different. I had to break that up with my daughter’s Marissa and Lily. lol

21. by Rainey Daye

On July 10, 2012 at 5:08 pm

UGH!! We have had Penelope picked out for four years now for our future daughter (ever since I was first pregnant with our son). It was bad enough that Tina Fey used Penelope for her daughter, but at least I like Tina Fey. But a KARDASHIAN?!! EWWW!!