Do You Have a Baby Name Theme?

The Kardashians love names that start with K. The Duggars gave every single one of their 19 kids J names, from Josh to Josie. And former heavyweight champ George Foreman infamously named every single one of his five sons George (along with one of his daughters, Georgetta).

But even if you aren’t quite bold enough to give all of your babies the exact same name, you might consider looking for names that mesh well together for your children. Here are some ways you could incorporate a theme into your name planning:

Find a set of names that share certain syllables and sounds. For an example, look no further than Adam Sandler’s two daughters, Sadie Madison and Sunny Madeline. Or simply follow the Kardashians’ lead and stick with a specific first initial. (One caveat about choosing very similar sounding names, from the mom of a Katie and a Maggie—you will likely call your children by their siblings’ names, more often than not.)

Choose names that relate to  a certain subject. You could let your name choices be inspired by places you’ve visited, or choose all nature or floral-themed names, like celebrity chef Jamie Oliver, who gave his daughters the names Poppy, Daisy and Petal Blossom.

Pick names that suit your heritage. Go with all Irish names if your family hails from the Emerald Isle—like Connor and Shannon.

Find names that all share the same meaning. For instance, you can go with a set of names that all mean “happy,” such as Felix and Blythe.

Select a stellar middle name to use for all of your kids. For instance, all of Sylvester Stallone’s daughters have the middle name Rose.

What do you think about a family name theme? Is it cheese, or a clever way to promote family unity? If you do have a baby naming theme, what is it?

Photo: The Kardashians by Kevan Brooks/AdMedia

Back To In Name Only

Find a Baby Name

Browse by

or Enter a name

1. by Jessica

On June 7, 2012 at 1:30 am

Personally, I think giving your children matching or themed names is cheesy and uncreative. Every human being is unique and I feel like when you make your children’s names similar, it takes away that unique identity. My OH and I have gone out of our way to find unique, almost unheard of (and not even on the top 2000) names for our unborn baby, whether its a boy or girl, so that our child will be completely unique. When or if we have another, the name will be completely unrelated to its siblings…hopefully we’ll have one of each so we can use both of the names we picked! If you’re curious- Ximena Renae for a girl, Damani Savion for a boy. Both actual names, but almost unheard of…I could only really find a few instances of both names.

2. by Erica

On June 7, 2012 at 4:10 pm

Personally I am not a fan of rhyming names or names with a directly understandable theme for my family. I want my little ones to have unique identities that are separate from their family’s because they are unique individuals. I am fine with people who choose to name their family with a theme. I am however not fine with people who make up names or take stupid spellings for common names just to be different. What ends up happening is that your child still has a common name but now no one knows how to pronounce it. And to people who just pick bizarre weird names, know that most likely your children will end up hating you because no one will be able to pronouce their names and they will spend their entire life correcting people… that has to be exhausting.

3. by Melissa

On June 7, 2012 at 4:21 pm

My sons are Brandon and Aydin…and I’ve found I only like boys’ names that end in ‘N’.

4. by Amanda

On June 7, 2012 at 4:23 pm

In my husbands family the boys have the same initials as the father and the girl has the same initials as the mom. So all 4 of our kids have the same initial for their 1st, middle & last instead of doing the boys and girls different we did them all the same, JMC.

5. by Michelle

On June 7, 2012 at 4:30 pm

We chose to give our 6 children names from the bible. We really like it because they all have stories behind them and it teaches good values, helps them to remember how they can be.

6. by Julee

On June 7, 2012 at 5:44 pm

I like the idea of having a baby name theme if you have special reason behind it.My husband and I lost our first born daughter, Kamryn LeAna, at 20 days old, so when we had our other 2 daughters, we gave them each the same middle name as their older sister and had their names begin with a K, (Kynzie and Kylee) thus using a baby name theme. If your doing it just to be “in trend”, I do think its sorta lame.

7. by Marie

On June 7, 2012 at 8:12 pm

Jessica, i hate to tell you this, but there’s a *reason* nobody uses the names Ximena or Damani. It’s because they’re awful.

8. by J

On June 8, 2012 at 10:17 pm

Jessica- I agree with Marie. You can come up with unique names without refusing to look on the Top 2000 list. It’s nothing to brag about, by the way. Oh and Renae? Yeah, that’s just another way to spell Renee, which without even having to think, I can think of two girls I know who had that as their middle name and one who had it as a first.

The most interesting theme I ever knew was our friends’. The father was D. Dale and the mother was A. And they named their daughters L., E. and S. so putting their first initials all together spelled their last name (pluralized).

My parents gave me and my brother Scottish names, as we are both Scottish on my dad’s side. But most people don’t realize that, so there’s a theme without being “too themed”.,I just plan on using names I like and family names.

9. by Sarah

On June 9, 2012 at 6:02 pm

I had a theme. My daughters are Lily and Violet. I loved the names. My son is Henry- not on theme, but it matches as it is old fashioned. I can imagine all as cute elderly people. :) . I get that some may think it’s cheesy, but I love my girl’s flower theme!

10. by Wendy

On June 13, 2012 at 10:11 am

I have 2 “themes” going for my kids/whole family. My husband, myself, daughter and son all have W and C in our initials. And both (and if I have more) have Lee in thier middle names after my father who passed before he could meet them. So Serenity Weslee(also after her father) C. and Gavin Lee Wise C. are very different, yet have something in common, and I absolutely love them! And if you’re curious, Wendy M.C. And James Wesley C. would be the parents!