Twin Names: The Perfect Set

A friend recently had twin boys, and I’m obsessed with the names she chose: Elliot and Oliver. I think they just go so well together.

This got me thinking — what makes a good twin name set? I like that Elliot and Oliver both start with vowels and have the same number of syllables — and, at the same time, are totally different and unique names.

When names are too similar, I think it messes with a twin’s identity. I’m no expert on the matter, but I do have my personal experience… namely, fraternal twin friends Kristen and Katie. The girls act and look nothing alike, but my parents and other friends were always getting the two confused. I doubt there would have been any mistaking one for the other if their names were… say… Katie and Jennifer.

What do you think? What are good twin name sets that you’ve heard, and what are some bad ones? Any celebrity faves?

Tags: | Categories: In Name Only

Back To In Name Only

Find a Baby Name

Browse by

or Enter a name

1. by Anna

On February 21, 2012 at 3:58 am

I’m a twin myself and we’re called Anna and Karen, both old Danish names that are not typically twins names (when pronounced the Danish way they sound very different), but when my mom wanted to buy a used twin stroller she found a couple who had twin girls named Anna and Karen as well. Haven’t heard that combination since though.

I like the Danish royal twins, Vincent and Josephine, even though they are not the same number of syllables

2. by lauren

On February 21, 2012 at 7:22 pm

I had good friends who were twins and born on 12/23 they were named Heather and Holly. Both normal names but also both winter/christmas greens and both with an H. I think that is very clever.

3. by Eric W

On February 23, 2012 at 10:13 pm

Shane and Wyatt. They will be 2 next month

4. by Heather Carter

On February 23, 2012 at 10:24 pm

We named our identical twins (now 4) Jackson and Grady. We had picked lots of cute “matchy” names but in the end, we decided it would be hard enough to tell them apart with different names, let alone giving them matchy names. I assure you, our family is thankful we did too… because most of them STILL cannot tell them apart without giving them a stare down side by side.

5. by Jacqueline

On February 23, 2012 at 10:28 pm

My boy/girl twins are 10 months old, we named them Elliott and Abigail. :)

6. by Larissamj

On February 23, 2012 at 10:34 pm

Fraternal boys Devin and Carter. Named them while still in my belly. Carter was baby A and always bigger than baby B Devin. Devin was the active baby in the womb…and out. Carter came an hour later, and is still in no hurry for much of anything.

7. by @akamami

On February 23, 2012 at 10:36 pm

We wanted out boy girl twins to have strong Latino names.
    They are Mateo {Mathew in English} & Orquidea {Orquid in English}. Their nick names within our family and circle of friends is Teo & Kiki, yet even at 6yrs old they call each other brother & sissy.

8. by Mary

On February 23, 2012 at 10:42 pm

We named our fraternal twin girls Natalie and Charlotte. Because we wanted to treat them as individuals. However, they do look a lot alike and people have trouble figuring out who is who often.

9. by Ximena

On February 23, 2012 at 10:54 pm

Identical twin girls….Gianna and Marisa.

10. by Chaya

On February 24, 2012 at 6:13 pm

My great-grandmother was named Hazel Ellen and her twin brother was Hale William. I think that’s an adorable pair: similar but not TOO similar, with distinct but classic middle names.

11. by Michell

On February 24, 2012 at 8:34 pm

fraternal twin boys – Jack & Connor

12. by Heather

On March 14, 2012 at 3:15 pm

Our twins are named Rebekah and Benjamin. 38 minutes apart. Should have been Benjamin and Rebekah, as he was twin A and she twin B in utero.

13. by Macey

On March 18, 2012 at 1:49 pm

I have all boys, two sets of twins and a set of triplets, my first set is Sam and Luke, my second is Finnick and Jackson and my triplets are Alex, Will, and Ben. My sister has a set of twin girls, Molly and Carter.(Twins run in the family) I have a friend that has a boy girl set named Bentley and Ryder.

14. by maillots foot

On March 30, 2012 at 11:38 pm

I don’t know the answers. However I do agree with Uncle Ben increasing the money supply.

15. by Mommyof3Girls

On June 25, 2012 at 12:17 pm

We have 3 girls, but for our last baby, if it had been twin boys we were going to go with Archer and Emmett. I love the way they sound together! We have lots of twins in my family: Tracy and Terry, Blaine and Wayne, and Ruth and Ruby. I like some similarity, but not rhyming! :)

16. by Twin mom

On March 28, 2013 at 10:49 pm

We named our twin boys Landon Tylar and Chandon Skylar…i love these names but they are a tongue twister most of the time.