Marla Sokoloff’s Baby Elliotte

Congrats to Marla Sokoloff, who just welcomed a baby girl named Elliotte Anne.

This name has given me a lot to think about. It’s interesting because she took a boy’s name, used it on a girl, and added a feminine ending. I assume she’ll pronounce it just like Elliot, though. I think Elliot is a cute name for a girl, but to be honest, I’m not a huge fan of the extra “te.” First, it means she’ll have to spell it out for people all the time, and second, it’s just so made up. It would be cute if they gave her the nickname Lottie though — a nice break from all the Ellas out there now.

Even though I don’t love the name, I am grateful to it for all the thought it’s sparked in me. My name nerd brain is going crazy trying to think of similar boy-made-girl names. The most obvious is Danielle, but it’s not quite the same since it’s pronounced differently than Daniel. It could work with the name Michael — Michaelle… oh shoot, that just ends up being a misspelling of Michelle. Never mind.

20 minutes of thinking later…

Ryanne! That accomplishes the same thing as Elliotte: Boys name, used for a girl, pronounced the same as the boys name but with a feminine ending. Name nerd victory!

Your turn: Can you think of any names that fit the same mold as Elliotte? And what do you think of the name in general?

Back To In Name Only

Find a Baby Name

Browse by

or Enter a name

1. by Lola

On February 15, 2012 at 12:16 am

Well, there’s always Terry/Terri, Stacy/Staci, Tracy/Traci, Carroll/Carol, Billy/Billie, Bobby/Bobbie, Tony/Toni, Jesse/Jessie, etc. — but I don’t think that’s what you’re talking about. And then there are the homophones such as Aaron/Erin and Lee/Leigh. There are also the unisex names that have become popular the last decade or so, such as Morgan and Cameron. Lots of boy names end with an “n” that could be morphed into the feminine “anne” suffix such as your Ryan/Ryanne example — Evan/Evanne, Nathan/Nathanne, Dylan/Dylanne, Nolan/Nolanne, Austin/Austanne.

2. by Andrea

On February 15, 2012 at 9:48 am

My nickname is Andie, not to be confused with the boy spelling of Andy.

3. by Rachael

On February 15, 2012 at 1:17 pm

If the mother had wanted your opinion on your child’s name she would have asked you, for all you know it could be a male family members name. At least she gave her daughter a name that means something, unlike a lot of other people.

4. by Honor

On February 17, 2012 at 1:28 pm

I was originally going to be called ‘Dayle’ but my grandmother ended up naming me instead, so now I am Honor… and my brother is Dale…
    So.. Dale/Dayle is on this list for me…

5. by Gerrie

On February 18, 2012 at 5:24 pm

Then there is me Gerrie, not to be confused with Gerry, Jerry and the many many spellings of Gerrie, which can and in this case is short for Geraldine, not to be confused with Jerold!!

6. by Cheryl

On February 18, 2012 at 7:05 pm

I love Jamie, so when my little girl was born I spelled it Jaimee.

7. by Wanda

On February 20, 2012 at 9:04 pm

Our little girl is Ryanne. She’ll be 3 in July, and is named after a family friend. It suits her perfectly because she is a frilly princess who loves dinosaurs.

8. by carol

On February 21, 2012 at 9:20 am

You’ve got to be kidding – “Danielle” is French, not a boy name morphed into a girl version.
    Camaren, is the feminine of Cameron – they are not made up names.