What to Name Berit’s Baby?

Readers, it’s time to put on your thinking caps. Fellow Parents.com blogger Berit Thorkelson of “Love and Diapers” is about to have her second baby, and she needs help picking out a name. Here’s her situation:

“We picked Roy (actually short for Royal) for my son because it is familiar and classic, yet not common. Also because it is short. We like 1- and 2-syllable names.

For our daughter, we’d like something that goes with Roy. Also, as with Roy, something shorter (again, 1 or 2 syllables preferably, though this can be in the shortened form) and familiar/classic/vintage yet not common (or likely on the verge of being). If it helps, the middle name will be Loraine and the last name Buckner. My name is Norwegian (a family name) so also open to less familiar Scandinavian names.”

Ok. Let’s start out by looking at short Scandinavian names. On the Parents.com list of names from that origin, our girl options are: Björk, Inge (short for Ingrid), Nesa, Olla, Treena, and Vivy (short for Viveca).

Let’s try those out with the full name:

Björk Loraine Buckner. Hmm… not a fan of the double “B.”

Inge Loraine Buckner. That one has potential! Ingrid sounds nice too.

Nesa Loraine Buckner. Makes me think of the Loch Ness monster. Scratch.

Olla Loraine Buckner. Nice, although “Olla Loraine” doesn’t exactly roll off the tongue.

Treena Loraine Buckner. Sorry, not into a kre8tyv spelling of Trina.

Vivy Loraine Buckner. Sounds good!

Of our favorites, let’s see how they sound with Roy:

Inge and Roy.

Olla and Roy.

Vivy and Roy.

Out of those, my favorites are Inge (or Ingrid) and Vivy. I like the name Inge better, but I think Vivy actually sounds better with Roy. So that’s my pick: Vivy Loraine Buckner.

What do you think? Do you like any of the names on my list? What would you name baby Buckner?

Tags: | Categories: Baby Name Help, Must Read

Back To In Name Only

Find a Baby Name

Browse by

or Enter a name

1. by Eve

On December 8, 2011 at 1:13 pm

I’m going to throw out Greta, Pearl (means Greta) and Betty. Vivy is my favorite as Vivian was on our girl list.

2. by Heather

On December 8, 2011 at 7:20 pm

Vivy is so cute!!

3. by Roni Thorkelson

On December 9, 2011 at 8:16 am

I too like Vivy and Inge. In fact, I think I suggested Inge to Berit. The quick background of the name Berit is that her great grandmother was named Berit and they called her Bella. It turns out that Berit has some of the characteristics of her great granny. So-o-o, I suggested Bella as the baby’s name – I don’t think it’ll fly. One side of her family is Russian/Hungarian. I’ve tried looking at it from that side and have come up empty. I’ve decided to keep out of it because they will make their own choice no matter how many times I suggest naming her after me!

4. by Jill Cordes

On December 9, 2011 at 10:29 pm

Wow, this is a tough one..esp because I am in the midst of the name thing myself. Berit and I share the same due date. The only thing you’ll want to think of with names like Inge, is you may have to constantly spell them out. I thought I did due diligence with Fia. But then when I had her and said her name to people, a lot thought I said, “Thea”. So now everytime I say it, it goes like this, “Hi, yes, her name is Fia. F-I-A”… at least it’s short though. I’m with you Berit, I like short and 1-2 syllables as well. Can’t wait to hear what you decide on.

Oh, and my top name for the boy is in the top 10 names list on Baby Center…argh.

5. by Amy

On December 11, 2011 at 4:06 am

I love Vivy, But am fond of another ‘V’ name. Vera. Its my closest friends name. We go back and forth calling her vivi and ra ra for nicknames.

6. by Becky

On December 12, 2011 at 9:57 am

I’d say Evelyn – and you can call her Evie or Evey… but I’m partial to the name. Also, I like Marian, but that doesn’t necessarily fit the short-version pre-req. :)

7. by Amy

On December 13, 2011 at 6:18 pm

I love it! It was my pick as I went through the list! Congratulations!

8. by Annika

On December 17, 2011 at 1:35 am

I´m scandinavian (swedish) and none of the names are scandinavian. Björk its the name of a tree and a artists fake name. Inge is a old mans name, Ingrid is a real name and a girls name. Olla I´ve never heard of and it´s a dirty word I would never use as a name.
    I can give you some suggestions if you want.
    Alma Alva Elsa Svea (Vera and Evie as said before) Stina, Boel, Daga, Freja, Frida, Hedvig, Ia, Isa Li, Katja, Lena, My, Nora, Nea, Lola, Lo, Petra, Vega, Varja, Ylva…

9. by Berit Thorkelson

On December 21, 2011 at 11:21 am

Thanks, everybody. Love all the input. Glad Annika saved me from naming my child a Swedish cussword! :)