Baby Name Too “Diabolical?”

A French couple is appearing in court on December 15 to fight to keep their child named Daemon (Damon in English). The name was inspired by Ian Somerhalder’s character in the TV show Vampire Diaries.

In France, there’s a code that states, “when a name, or a combination of names, is considered contrary to the interests of the child, the civic officer shall promptly notify the prosecutor, who may refer the matter to the Family Court.” And Daemon, apparently, is one name that crosses this boundary. (Authorities have called it “too supernatural” and “diabolical.”)

My first reaction to this story is one of slight superiority — after all, we Americans don’t censor baby names — but my next is a little less cocky. After all, it’s this freedom that’s given us babies with names like Adolf Hitler and JoyceLynn Aryan Nation.

What do you think? Should there be an arbiter of baby names? And where would you draw the line on acceptable versus totally inappropriate?

Tags: | Categories: Baby Name News, In Name Only

Back To In Name Only

Find a Baby Name

Browse by

or Enter a name

1. by Misty

On December 6, 2011 at 2:13 pm

Funny, I just posted a blog this morning about naming my son. I don’t agree with censorship but I don’t agree with crazy baby names either. It is a type of child abuse. I just wish everyone had some common sense.

2. by Megan

On December 6, 2011 at 3:11 pm

I don’t think Damon or Daemon will illicit the devil, but for sure the Adolfs of the world are in for a rude awakening during World History class.
    This post make me giggle thinking about all the kids born in the last few years named Edward, Bella, and Jacob. So you’re named after a vampire, great pick up line in about 15 years!

3. by James

On April 27, 2012 at 10:32 am

It’s your baby, name it Crap Storm Mountain Dew if you want. Might get sued by pepsi…

4. by John

On May 23, 2012 at 11:44 am

Well, if your last name is “Head,” you should never be allowed to call your son “Richard.”

5. by brutony

On June 26, 2012 at 6:53 pm

Anyone ever question, god forbid sue, these wacky Follyweirdos who name their babies stupid and screwed up names lile Apple, Moon Unit, Pilot, etc? Oh no, we cant insult those celebutards tho, right?

6. by Vivi

On August 8, 2012 at 7:42 am

“The Exorcist” psychiatrist priest had a version of that name. He was hardly diabolical.

7. by Billy Walker

On November 9, 2012 at 7:27 am

Presumably most of us reading this are USA residents or citizens. We are not French, so perhaps we should not judge other folks by our standards. On the other hand, one of the least attractive names I’ve ever seen was “Aqua-netta”, spelled with the hyphen. I asked the woman (in her 40′s) about the name and she said that her mother used that type of hairspray when she was conceived, and that is how she got the name. So I don’t know which is worst, being named after after a mythical demon or being named after an ozone-depleting cosmetic product.

8. by David

On November 10, 2012 at 11:06 am

Parents should have the sole authority to name their own children. Government should keep out of it. When the child comes of age, the child can change his name if he so desires.

Sometimes parents will make poor decisions for their children, but that is part of parenting and we should allow that. Only if there is abuse that rises to the level of physical harm should we intervene.