Germ Experiment — Where Do Germs Grow in Your House??!

Our blog has moved to homeschoolden.com. You will now find this post by clicking on this link: Germ Experiment — Where Do Germs Grow in Your House? — homeschoolden.com  ~Liesl

Back To The Homeschool Den
  1. by Gabriela

On March 5, 2012 at 7:38 am

Very cool!
    I’ve been looking for a science experiment that: doesn’t make too much waste, shows something that is actually important to see for real life purposes, doesn’t call for hard-to-get materials, and is easy to use with the scientific method. This is the one. Thanks!

2. by Discovering Montessori

On March 5, 2012 at 7:33 pm

I would have guessed the toilet. This is a really cool experiment. We must do this!! Thank you for sharing.

3. by Liesl

On March 6, 2012 at 7:12 am

I’m so glad to hear some people like this! I was so excited to share this post because the results were so interesting! Thanks for stopping by!

4. by Thankful Becky

On March 10, 2012 at 8:54 am

I pinned your page!
    Love the germ experiment.
    Visiting from WUHS. :)

5. by happycampers

On March 28, 2012 at 2:40 pm

Great article but one VERY IMPORTANT part is missing. After you take your samples and spread them on your petri dish, you need to either seal shut the lid, or if using cups put them in a zip lock bag AND DO NOT OPEN THEM EVER! You grew some awesome cultures, but you have no idea what they are. It is potentially dangerous to breathe in or handle unknown cultures. I would have never thought of this until I read that on a homeschool science supply website.

Thank you for providing the culture growth medium recipe…we will use it!

6. by Heather Fyffe Dunham

On March 28, 2012 at 8:00 pm

We’re totally going to try this. I think I’ll use my smallest mason jars. I’ll sanitize them first with either boiling water or a dishwasher cycle, just like if I were making jam. Then I’ll use the plastic screwtop lids for them.

7. by Liesl Den

On March 30, 2012 at 9:18 am

That’s a great point about keeping the dishes covered. I didn’t think to mention that in this post. You do need to keep the mold covered and dispose of the cultures properly.

Thanks for all your comments everyone!

8. by Test Your House for GERMS - The Polka-Dotted Turtle

On August 23, 2012 at 4:13 pm

[...] Your House for GERMS August 23rd, 2012 | Posted by Kat in Ideas | Kids This idea comes from parents.com and it is crazy awesome. I am somewhat of a “germ aware” person and find myself often [...]

9. [...] Germ Experiment: Where do Germs Grow in Your House? [...]

10. by How to Teach Kids About Germs | Nerdy With Children

On February 24, 2014 at 4:09 pm

[...] Then, there’s the DIY version of the “what’s the dirtiest spot you can find” experiment from our high school biology days. Have kids make predictions about where the yuckiest spots in the house are, and make some homemade petri dish germ beds after swabbing said hot spots. Find the detailed how-to at Parents.com. [...]

11. by Human Body: Skeletal System | Homeschool Den

On December 27, 2014 at 5:10 pm

[...] Germ Experiment: Where do Germs Grow in Your House? bones of the skeletal systemhuman body unitskeleton freebiesskeleton system [...]