Do You Let Your Tots Have Easter Candy?

Mason is going on his first Easter Egg hunt on Sunday. I’m so excited. He has his own special Easter basket with “Mason” embroidered on it. One of my grandmother’s friends made it for him last year, and he’s finally old enough to carry it around and fill it with eggs.

The event will take place on the waterfront in our neighborhood, and it’s organized by age, so Mason won’t be competing with older, faster kids and crawlers won’t be competing with him and his friends. Local moms came up with the idea, and I think it’s super smart.

Chris and I were chatting about our weekend plans yesterday over email, and we got into an Easter candy debate:

Chris: This is going to be a fun weekend. I need to go buy some candy.

Me: Why candy???

Chris: Um…it’s, like, Easter, you know? Chocolate and bunnies and Zombie Jesus. Cadbury creme eggs, 100 Grand, all the good stuff.

Me: He’s 19-months-old, he doesn’t need all that candy. 100 Grands are a choking hazard, I’m pretty sure, and what are Zombie Jesus?!

Chris: No response

Obviously the eggs that Mason collects on his hunt will be filled with candy–but I was only planning on letting him have one piece. He’s young enough that we can hide the rest while he’s playing and he’ll forget all about it. But maybe Chris is right and I should let him indulge a little more? What do you think?  Do you let your tots have Easter candy?

Photo: Easter eggs via Piotr Rzeszutek/Shutterstock

Back To High Chair Times
  1. by Diane

On April 6, 2012 at 11:20 am

I agree with you. 1 piece is enough.

2. by Cathlyn Enokdia

On April 6, 2012 at 11:22 am

I will let my 2 year old daughter have a very very small piece of chocolate bunny and that’s about it. For the most part we give her non food items in her basket. If she has any food I go for the dried fruit chips she likes.

3. by Sabrina

On April 6, 2012 at 11:25 am

I usually only let my little one have one piece. I might squirrel a few away for her at a later date, but on Easter she will probably only get one.

4. by Ashley

On April 6, 2012 at 11:25 am

No way!! My daughter is 18 months& she doesn’t need candy! I’m filling her eggs with crunchies, cherrios, and gold fish! :)

5. by Tiffany

On April 6, 2012 at 11:29 am

I have 3 boys. 5,3 and 1 year. when Gavin and Alex were little I hid Easter eggs filled with mini cookies and rits crackers. We put them in baggies and let them have a little for snack each day. This year I bought talking Easter eggs from the jojo bunny company. http://www.ourordinarylife.com/2010/03/hide-em-find-em-eggs-talking-easter-eggs/

Then were just giving them Easter baskets with toys and soft candy.

6. by Hayley

On April 6, 2012 at 11:34 am

I know I’m off topic here but seriously what’s a Zombie Jesus? My daughter will have her Candy spaced out over a longer period and then some usually gets thrown away. Plus I’ve been none to eat some and so has my husband.

7. by Marissa

On April 6, 2012 at 11:35 am

I allow my two year old little girl to have one piece as well. It is usually a lolly pop. She is content with one piece.

8. by Amber

On April 6, 2012 at 11:43 am

I bought my daughter mini Lindts chocolate bunnies for her basket, but she’ll only be getting one and daddy will be eating the rest. ;) The rest of her basket will be little toys, frosted animal crackers and organic graham crackers. We hard boiled eggs and colored them for our hunt so we don’t have to worry about what to put inside.

9. by Karen

On April 6, 2012 at 11:44 am

We prefer to give mainly non-edible items – small toys, crayons, stuffies, etc. When we do give edibles it is usually all-natural fruit snacks and crackers. This goes for our children as well as other people’s kids. Our baby is only 11 months so she will not be getting any edibles. Our eldest is 4.5 (almost) and he will get a few pieces of candy but mostly toys and similar items. He outright tells people “Don’t give me candy. Too much candy makes you sick. Just give me one piece.” He will get a few tiny chocolate bunnies and maybe a couple dum dums and he will get one piece a day – happily, I might add. This will be the first year he gets candy for Easter, previously it was Halloween only.

10. by Joe

On April 6, 2012 at 11:52 am

I have three children, and as I recall from my childhood, is that there are 3 days a year you can eat candy, X-mas, Halloween and Easter. You parents need to chill out and let your kids be kids. (well at least on easter)

11. by Jean

On April 6, 2012 at 12:22 pm

My son is 3 1/2 and my daughter is 23 months I let them both have easter candy. We don’t keep sweets regularly and because I let them indulge on holidays or special occasions as my son gets older her doesn’t go crazy for sweets. In fact he cuts himself off and goes for the fruit tray. I havs friendz that never allow their kids candy and sweets and now when we are at parties they deal with tantrums and gluttony! It works for us. Maybe not for others.

12. by Ann

On April 6, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Everything in moderation, so yes John gets candy. A little each day.

13. by Leslie

On April 6, 2012 at 12:59 pm

I’m gonna say Zombie Jesus is when he was raised from the dead. On the candy, we let him have some every day, whether it’s from Easter or trick or treating. When I was little we didn’t get toys in our baskets, just candy. And it was awesome.

14. by Lisa

On April 6, 2012 at 1:54 pm

My two year old granddaughter gets whatever she wants from me, and we LOVE Easter candy.

15. by Daddy

On April 6, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Leslie is right, btw. “Zombie Jesus” is not a kind of candy (although it probably should be). The author was making a broad statement about what Easter is all about. Hence, “chocolate and bunnies and Zombie Jesus.” It is a reference to the late prophet rising from the grave as described in the gospel. It’s the original zombie story. He is risen!

16. by nicole

On April 6, 2012 at 4:34 pm

Do whatever you want!! I was chastized when I told a lady from work that I wasn’t a “fun mom” because I am putting animal crackers in the easter eggs! ;) My son will think I’m fun when he isn’t obese, diabetic and has all his teeth! I’m not saying he cannot have candy, he just doesn’t need it for every special occasion. I am perfectly okay with waiting until he sees all his friends eating it and then wants some!