Tuesday Timesaver: 8 Easy Mac ‘n’ Cheese Mix-Ins
Best for Babies 10+ Months
Mason loves mac ‘n’ cheese. Loves it. He’d eat it every night if he could, especially since he’s on a cheese kick right now. I make a simple homemade mac ‘n’ cheese recipe often, but I mix in healthy veggies and fruits to add nutritional value. I love how quick and easy it is to turn mac ‘n’ cheese into a filling, well-rounded meal. In fact, the Garden Veggie Mac ‘n’ Cheese (above) saved us last night when our 30-minute commute took an hour and a half due to train trouble. After being trapped in his stroller for all that time, Bug was understandably starving and grouchy — and I had to come up with a dinner that would dazzle him fast.
My first Tuesday Timesaver post on mac ‘n’ cheese drew lots of comments, and I discovered that many of you have babes who enjoy mac ‘n’ cheese, too. I also learned that many of you try to mix in extras to spice it up and make it healthier, so I wanted to share some of the combos that Mason enjoys. To save time, I often use frozen organic veggies that are quick to steam and don’t require prep. I also make a big batch of mac ‘n’ cheese ahead and freeze leftovers to help out in a pinch. I use a variety of noodles, including whole-wheat and brown rice. Try out our ideas — and share your babe’s fave mac ‘n’ cheese mix-ins.
1. Garden Veggie: Steamed broccoli, asparagus, and bell pepper
2. Chicken ‘n’ Noodles: Cooked chicken with tomato and steamed carrot and peas
3. Harvest Mac: Fresh, finely chopped sage and lightly steamed Gala apple
4. Meaty Mac: Cooked ground beef with tomato and steamed peas, carrot, and onion
5. Tuna Delight: Tuna with steamed celery, onion, and sweet red pepper
6. Mediterranean Mac: Tomato and kalamata olives with cooked onion
7. Italian Mac: Cooked mushrooms, roasted red pepper, tomato, and organic pepperoni
8. Mac ‘n’ Greens: Cooked chicken sausage with steamed spinach and tomato
Photograph courtesy of BHG.com