Baby’s First Omelet: A Way to Fatten Him Up?

Best for Babies 8+ Months Old

Mason’s a little peanut, a string bean. He had his nine-month checkup on Friday and he’s still only in the third percentile for weight, although he’s in the 50th percentile for height.  I’ll admit it, I’m proud that he’s tall but sensitive about his lack of girth.  I worry that he’ll get picked on when he gets older if he stays this skinny. I was a tall, super skinny kid (sorry, Bug, you get it honestly) so I know what it’s like to be teased. Luckily the ribbing I got was more kind than cruel –ie. the boy who called me Chicken Legs all four years in gym class, thank you very much Evan You Know Who You Are –but not everyone is so lucky. Thank God Facebook and Twitter didn’t exist when I was in middle school.

To be skinny as a girl is much different than to be skinny as a boy. I feel so defensive when some mom exclaims, “My son/daughter was 16 pounds at five months!” I try to laugh it off with, “Yeah, gotta love Mason’s metabolism” but I always feel like it’s some pointed remark like,  “Why are you starving your kid?” (For the record, any mom in our playgroup will tell you that Mason eats more than any other baby around; sometimes I wonder if he has a hollow leg.) The worst was when one mom told me that her kid could “eat Mason” because her kid was so much bigger than Mason. Um, how am I supposed to react to that?

My defenses were up after I noticed that the scale only inched up two pounds over our last visit. To make matters worse, the doctor called Mason “perfect.” As a recovering perfectionist who has tried (and failed) to be perfect the last thing that I want is for someone to put that impossible-to-obtain label on my kid.  I let the offending remark go in favor of grilling her, “Are you sure everything’s OK?”  Yes it is, she said, because he’s growing steadily, however, some more fat couldn’t hurt. I’m to add olive oil to his veggies and feed him lots of eggs, pasta, and fresh mozzarella. She said he should also continue to eat avocado as often as possible too.

I took the doctor’s advice and made Mason’s first omelet Saturday morning. I started with a fresh egg yolk and made his mini omelet exactly like I would make my own, with a few exceptions. I was much more generous with the olive oil. (Must pack on the pounds.) And I used calorie- and fat-rich yolk, I only eat egg whites.  When I was finished cooking, his omelet resembled a mini version of the one Chris normally eats but without the side of bacon. I cut it up into tiny pieces and coaxed Mason to feed himself. At first he was a little awkward with the egg but after a few bites he gobbled it up, along with homemade applesauce.

Score! Now on to the next fattening thing…

Baby Omelet

Ingredients

1 egg yolk
Shredded cheddar cheese
Olive oil
Chopped veggies optional –
(peppers, spinach, broccoli,
onion, mushroom, tomato)

Directions

1. Pour a bit of olive oil into a skillet. Heat.
2. Separate the egg, and add egg yolk to the warm skillet.
3. Flip egg after a minute or so. Sprinkle in cheese. Fold over and serve.

Homemade Applesauce

Ingredients

Organic Gala apple
Water

Directions

1. Wash, peel, and dice apple. Cook until tender (about 15 minutes).

2. Reserve some cooking liquid, then plunge cooked apple into ice water for about 3 minutes.
3. Puree cooled apple until smooth.

What about you? What do you love to serve your babe for breakfast?

Back To High Chair Times
  1. by Lindsay

On June 13, 2011 at 10:16 am

Eggs and cheese are great, but my boys love eggs with chopped spinach or broccoli – try it and add more nutrition to their diet! Also, try chopped spinach and good quality fish oil in a smoothie, add sweet fruit and no one is the wiser :) . I tell my boys it has spinach in it, not sneaking it, so they know they are eating ‘grow food’.

2. by Heather Morgan Shott

On June 13, 2011 at 11:30 am

Brilliant advice, Lindsay, thank you!

3. by Bonnie

On June 17, 2011 at 11:21 am

Did you puree the omelet? My 9 month old is also skinny and was told to feed him more solids. I love your blog!!!

4. by Kristen

On June 17, 2011 at 1:06 pm

My 2nd daughter was a tine one too…and still is! She has been in the 5th percentile for height and weight her entire life (she is now 4 yrs old). Her first pediatrician said to give her butter on her vegies…WHAT is she thinking? That would only give her high cholesterol. We switched DR’s after that advise and her new DR says she is perfectly healthy…tiny and all! As long as they are eating and are not continuously getting sick they will be fine!

5. by Heather Morgan Shott

On June 17, 2011 at 7:25 pm

Bonnie: Thank you so much! You made my night. Mason’s doctor said to feed him more solids so we’re definitely doing fewer purees now. I didn’t puree the omelet — I just cut it up into tiny pieces and he was totally fine with it.

Kristen: Good for you for being your daughter’s advocate! Our doctor suggested olive oil instead of butter, although Mason gets a little butter on his toast and in his cheese sauce. Here’s to be mommies of small (but healthy!) babes!

6. by Lori

On June 17, 2011 at 8:56 pm

Heather, ignore Evan, he never says anything nice! :)

On the flip side of being concerned about having a child in a lower-percentile for weight is the worry I have- inflicting my life-long struggle with being overweight on my children. My children were 9.3 and 10 pounds when they were born and have gained steadily ever since. Most people feel completely justified in commenting inappropriately on their girth. I truly believe we all want the same great things for our children- health, happiness and cruelty-free school days!

Hang in there! It sounds like you’re doing an amazing job. Mason will put on weight as his body needs him to.

7. by Heather

On June 18, 2011 at 9:43 am

Beautifully said, Lori:)

8. by Kashmir

On July 9, 2011 at 8:54 pm

I know how you feel! My daughter is the 10th percentile for her weight and the 75th for her height! Everyone is always saying “Oh she’s so skinny” and that “She a peanut!”. It’s almost the first comment people make about her. I have been trying to “fatten” her up since she was like 10 months old! I feel like when people make these comments they are really thinking things like do you ever feed her? Also the difference in this scenario is that you said you were also thin, me and her dad are both a few pounds over weight, so it kinda makes me feel worse. Kinda like people see me and are like do you eat all her food? My daughter eats okay, she’s a little bit of a picky eater though. Her doctor also says everything is great with her! That she is growing fine, one of her doctors even said that she’s probably just skinny because she’s half Asian! I was like what??? But anyway thanks for the recipe! I will definitely try it out for her for breakfast, instead of apple sauce I will probably just give her scrabbled sausage and a banana! :)

9. by Michelle M.

On August 10, 2011 at 4:03 pm

I would love to know more healthy foods I can give my underweight 6 month old. She is not even on the chart for her weight right now. We are supposed to fatten her up, but didn’t get much guidance. Thanks!

10. [...] told me earlier this month that I needed to incorporate more finger foods into his diet because he’s such a peanut (not to mention nearly a year old), I sort of panicked. The kid may be 10 months old but he still [...]