Pregnancy Cravings: Get in My Belly

37 weeks/9 months

Ladies,

What is it about pregnancy that makes food one million (said in my best Dr. Evil voice) times more delicious (or sometimes disgusting, wha-wha)? As I’m rounding third base for home this pregnancy, I feel like eating is my sport of choice and having to breathe between bites is really hindering my game.

Sometimes, when I’m downing my third bowl of cereal or eating a whole sleeve of peppermint Joe Joe’s, I wonder if I’m alone in my pregnant indulgences. I try, bless my heart, to eat healthy, but sometimes, the come hither call of ice cream is too much to ignore. My body tells me I need it.  I’m wrist deep, three serving size spoonfuls in before I’ve “come to” from my ice cream eating blackout. No shame.

The thing about cravings are that they life-like in their demands and they must be met. How do I explain it for the non-pregnant crowd?

It is an insatiable desire for a particular food so great that in order to get it, one would willingly trade unnecessary body parts on the black market. Comprende?

I know it’s a pregnant stereotype to eat nonstop, but this pregnant face feeding train doesn’t care it’s cliche. It cannot be stopped.

The 90s television star with an unfortunate mullet put my current feelings about food so eloquently. Take it away Uncle Jesse, “have mercy.” Cereal, candy, ice cream why you taste so good?

My greatest pregnancy craving thus far: breakfast food. Unfortunately, not the steel cut oats and egg whites kind of breakfasts. More like the candy for breakfast types of food: waffles, pancakes, french toast. My desire is so great I cannot confirm or deny that I may walk around the house chanting, “What do we want? Waffles! When do we want them? Now!”

I know there are legends, of the urban type or sometimes real, about sending husbands out under crazy conditions to retrieve certain craving. In my case, my legendary tales involve a zombie-style, overly familiar autopilot, not sure how I got here until I did, drive to Chick-fil-A. Waffle fries. So wrong and so right.

I asked my pregnant posse who didn’t mind being outed for some dish on the dish that made them body part trading hungry during pregnancy.

My favorite confessions:

“I ate 6-9 long johns a week with my first. With my second, I had a thing for Costco polish dogs…embarrassing but true. I wasn’t a member back then, but I’d stealthily sneak in the exit for my fix. I felt like a criminal, but my body spoke to me; and it said “polish dog.’”

“Canned refried beans.” With her caveat of  “don’t judge me.”

Girl, you know I don’t judge it. This is a safe sharing environment with no repercussions. Let she who has not eaten some canned goods throw the first stone. I’ve downed one too many bags of gummy bears and sour patch straws to be pointing any crystallized sugar-covered fingers.

Let’s hear it ladies. Divulge that craving. Whether it be a bowl of dandan noodles, an In-N-Out burger, a rack of ribs, or copious amounts of sour skittles, help me live my last few weeks of pregnancy to their indulgent fullest by sharing those craving confessions.

Image: Documented cravings. Yes, I’m talking about the celebrity gossip too.

Back To Great Expectations
  1. by Ashley F

On January 21, 2013 at 2:52 pm

I craved food I don’t normally like, especially chocolate and hot dogs or sausage dogs! Other things I liked normally were cereal, salmon, broccoli, cherries, strawberries, LOTS of sugar, and the all time unfulfilled craving was spicy food! NOTHING was spicy enough for me. I had about 60, 70, and almost 80 lbs gained with each pregnancy to show for those cravings (thank goodness I was more than capable of melting it right back off after the baby came, haha!)

2. by Keri

On January 21, 2013 at 5:51 pm

With my first, it was copious amounts of watermelon. I could eat half a melon in a sitting. Tomato sandwiches with Miracle Whip on toast was another. Then towards the end it was fried chicken and Taco Bell. This one is carbs, ice cream and burgers. Don’t know if this is relevant but my first was a girl and this one is a boy.

3. by Jana

On January 21, 2013 at 6:01 pm

listen – here’s what you must try, it’s my latest craving, aside from my constant gummy bear/straight-out candy craving.

You take boneless buffalo strips/chicken. it has to be the buffalo flavored though. then you mash feta cheese onto them. eat. chase with thick chocolate milk. It hits the absolute and complete spot.

4. by Erica

On January 21, 2013 at 6:52 pm

With my first child, I craved pancakes, too!! Except….mine had to be eaten alongside creamy coleslaw and half-sour dill pickle spears. :) Me second baby, though….I didn’t want to even look at food. Too bad, too…my favorite part of pregnancy was the myriad of excuses it came with, lol!

5. by lacy

On January 21, 2013 at 7:50 pm

Was jack in the box double cheeseburgers and Neapolitan ice cream

6. by Bekka Besich

On January 21, 2013 at 10:50 pm

This is what I love about a good confession. It brings people together. Please keep the confessions/suggestions coming. I’m adding Neapolitan ice cream and buffalo wings to my get in my belly list stat.

7. by Kim

On January 22, 2013 at 12:08 am

With all 3 there was a constant underlying carbs and dairy, both of which are not a big part of my normal diet.
    The odd stuff though, my first was peanut butter, which I don`t like, and hot tea almost constantly.
    My second, dill spears, and that last month I went through a box of ice cream sandwiches in 2 days, often.
    This one? I`ve had to convince myself dill juice in my coffee would set off my heartburn in an ugly way, and oatmeal all. The. Time.

8. by Sarah

On January 22, 2013 at 9:47 am

Eggs. Every. Single. Morning. From the 2nd trimester on. Not healthy ones, either; I’m talkin’ three cheese omelet fried in butter, with (wheat, my only nod to healthy) toast.

And Little Caesars’ Crazy Bread. With a side of cantaloupe. And peanut butter cookie… dough. No wonder I gained 40 (ahem, 50) pounds.

On the bright side, the only things my son took from that was the eggs and cantaloupe. So, I must have somehow kept it in check, right? Right?

9. by Kira

On January 24, 2013 at 6:56 am

I craved sweets. Candies, gummies, Popsicles, fresh fruits, ice cream, peanut butter, etc. It got to he point where I would special order candy online that I had eaten in other countries that I craved.

10. by Bekka Besich

On January 24, 2013 at 3:20 pm

Ordering from another country to meet your craving? I respect it. So much.

11. by Nakeli

On January 24, 2013 at 7:26 pm

With my first it was Captain Crunch Berries. Once my husband bought the plain Captain Crunch and I seriously flipped out. With my second is was Coke. I was refraining from caffeine so that was a hard one. Once though when we went out to eat I said I was going to have 1 glass of cherry Coke. Well one glass turned into 3 because the waitress kept refilling it. :)

12. by Chelsea

On February 4, 2013 at 1:16 pm

This is my first pregnancy, and so far all I’ve craved is sweets, fresh super juicy fruit, and carrots with ranch. And Kira, your not the only one. I’ve ordered Tim Tams from Australia because I was craving them so badly!!

13. by marilyn

On February 9, 2013 at 3:22 pm

hello!
    For the longest time (1st trimester) I craved dill pickles. Now I’m in my 3rd trimester and pickles gave me really bad heart burn so the craving stopped. Lately, I’ve been liking sweeter foods and potato chips :)

14. by Lauren

On February 10, 2013 at 6:15 pm

Am I the only weirdo who isn’t craving anything? I may be in the mood for something but no more than before I was pregnant. I’m now in my 3rd trimester and the only one having cravings is my mother.