Monday, June 4th, 2012
When you first find out that you’re pregnant, it may seem like you have to wait forever to meet your baby — but trust us, those months fly by. Attending doctors’ appointments, shopping for baby essentials, and simply adjusting to the idea that you’re almost a mother can be exhausting. Try three of our favorite tools to make your life a little simpler:
- Find out when your baby will be born with our Due Date Calculator. Enter the date of your last period and the length of your cycle for an approximation of when your little one will arrive.
- Predict the gender of your baby with our Ancient Chinese Birth Chart. With a supposed success rate of 93 percent, what are you waiting for?
- Don’t let picking a baby name be the first parenting disagreement you have with your partner. Try our Create-a-Baby-Name Quiz for fun name ideas.
Check out our pregnancy page for more information!
Add a Comment
Thursday, December 15th, 2011
A few weeks ago I had the pleasure of interviewing Rosie Pope over the phone for our February issue, and last week, I got to meet her in person. If you haven’t seen her Bravo show Pregnant in Heels, it’s a reality show where Rosie helps out-of-touch pregnant couples, mostly New Yorkers, get ready to have their baby. She’s filming a new season—and pregnant with her third child, due in May!
The “pregnant” part is relevant because Rosie is very open about her fertility struggles. She has used IVF; she’s had to terminate an ectopic pregnancy. Her current pregnancy came more or less “naturally,” though she jokes that having been “jacked up on fertility drugs” in the recent past probably played a role. Her candor and honesty about it all makes you feel like, in her, you have a girlfriend you’ve known all your life. (Albeit one with a funny hybrid American-English accent and crazy long dancer’s legs…in other words, much more glamorous than most girlfriends.) So if you’re looking to hear from someone who has been on the front lines of fertility struggles, perhaps because you’re going through them yourself, I highly suggest you check out her blog which describes some of her heartache and hope.
Here are 3 things I learned from my time with Rosie and also with Susan Wysocki, a renowned nurse practitioner:
1. We take home-pregnancy tests for granted. Like, ridiculously for granted. It wasn’t so long ago that a doctor would have to inject an animal with a woman’s urine to know, early on, if she was pregnant! But the fact that we have easy tests doesn’t seem to make us any more relaxed. We expect to get pregnant as soon as we start trying, and we’ll test ourselves six times, as if we’ll get a different answer. Testing is simpler and more private now, but getting pregnant is still the same “miracle,” as Rosie says, it has always been.
2. Nosiness is at an all-time high. It’s tempting to shake a finger at the tabloids and their overzealous “is she pregnant?” speculation (poor Kate Middleton!), but my coworkers and I were tracking Jessica Simpson as if we couldn’t help it. We were waiting for Beyonce’s announcement with baited breath too. But Rosie pointed out that it’s the real-world nosiness that really gets to you; the people who ask “Are you trying?!” over Christmas dinner. (Her response: “That’s private,” said firmly but with a smile, ends the conversation…unless maybe you’re talking to your mother or mother-in-law.)
3. More pregnancies happen over the holidays than any other time, according to Susan, who was at our soiree as a spokeswoman for Clearblue. Why? Who knows! But many of us have extra time off, and nice meals at home, and maybe alcohol gets involved…at any rate, a lot of babies are born in August and September, nine months after the Thanksgiving-to-New-Years run.
And on that note…maybe you’re trying for a baby in 2012? In case you are, the folks at Clearblue are generously providing three goody bags that I can give to three very lucky people. Each bag has one of their highly rated Clearblue fertility monitors, 30 fertility monitor test sticks, 7 ovulation tests, and 2 pregnancy tests. That’s $350 worth of pregnancy tools per bag! Interested? Post a comment here; don’t be shy, we’re a whole community of parents and we get it. You have through the end of the day on Wednesday, December 21st, to post, and are allowed to post once a day. For the full rules, click here. Goody luck!
Add a Comment
baby, Clearblue, fertility monitor, getting pregnant, Giveaway, Pregnancy, pregnancy test, pregnancy test results, Rosie Pope | Categories:
Giveaways, GoodyBlog, Health & Safety, Pregnancy, Pregnancy, Shopping & Gear, Your Life