Friday, April 12th, 2013
Here in New York, we’re finally getting a long-awaited taste of spring,but before you open your windows to let the breeze in, consider this: approximately 4,700 children annually in the United States require treatment following a fall from a window, according to the American Society for Testing and Materials. What’s worse: About 18 children per year die from such falls.
So, as part of National Window Awareness Week (April 7th-13th), Anderson Windows’ LookOut For Kids window safety program is offering materials and tips to help keep our kids safe. Some of the most critical guidelines:
• Position beds and other furniture away from windows
• Never leave young children unsupervised
• Do not depend on insect screens to keep children from falling out of windows
• Don’t paint, nail or seal windows shut. They can provide an escape in an emergency
• Consider installing window guards (metal bars that deter kids from falling through an open window) or window opening control devices, which limits the amount a window can open
Who knew that window falls were so common? Thankfully, these small steps can assure us all a safe, happy spring.