Tuesday, May 21st, 2013
Lego Duplo’s “Read! Build! Play!” initiative strives to develop early literacy and strengthen learning through their Read and Build series of simple story books paired with easy construction activities.
Last year, Lego Duplo and the Association for Library Service to Children (ALSC) partnered to create resources that combined reading and play. “Through play, young children learn about their world. With this knowledge, they can understand books and stories once they begin to read,” says Starr Latronica, Vice President/President-Elect of the Association for Library Service to Children.
This summer, Lego and ALSC have created the first Summer Reading Lists/Activity Guides for toddlers and preschoolers. Two free guides (one for Ages 1-3, one for Ages 3-5) pairs 10 already-published books with Lego projects designed specifically for each one. The books, easily available at local libraries, were chosen by ALSC’s Early Childhood Programs and Services committee. A Parent Activity Guide is also available for free, to explain the importance of play and to offer advice on how to interact with kids.
Parents can preview a list of the chosen books below and click on the jump to see a photo of the suggested activity for Meeow and the Pots and Pans by Sebastian Braun. Visit ReadBuildPlay.com to download the entire activity guides (which includes the full lists of Lego projects with instructions, plus coloring pages).
- Big Box for Ben by Deborah Bruss , Illustrated by Tomek Bogacki
- Construction Crew by Lynn Meltzer, Illustrated by Carrie Eko-Burgess
- Dig In! by April Jones Prince, Illustrated by Michelle Berg
- King Jack and the Dragon by Peter Bently, Illustrated by Helen Oxenbury
- Meeow and the Pots and Pans written and illustrated by Sebastian Braun. (Click on the jump text below to see a photo of the Lego activity paired with this book.)
- Doors in the Air by David Weale, Illustrated by Pierre Pratt
- Dreaming Up: A Celebration of Building, written and illustrated by Christy Hale
- Fly Blanky Fly by Anne Margaret Lewis, Illustrated by Elisa Chavarri
- Isabella Star of the Story by Jennifer Fosberry, Illustrated by Mike Litwin
- Press Here, written and illustrated by Herve Tullet
Tags: american library association, Book, Books, caldecott award, caldecott medal, children's books, kids books, Lego, lego duplo, reading, summer reading | Categories: Entertainment, GoodyBlog, Your Child