Tuesday, May 3rd, 2011
A new study from iVillage and TODAY.com shows salary reigns supreme when it comes to job priorities among working mothers—even when compared with important factors like a family-friendly work environment and job enjoyment.
This is just one interesting finding from the newly-published 2011 Moms At Work Survey. Overall, the survey paints a picture of the modern mom taking charge in both the office and the home. It seems this woman really can have it all—as long as a personal assistant is thrown into the mix! And interestingly, 70% of the working moms polled would prefer the assistant to help manage the running of their households rather than their work lives.
Additional results show eight out of ten working mothers “are earning at least half or more of their household’s income.” And the work doesn’t end at the office. According to the poll, more than two-thirds (68%) of working moms are still responsible for the majority of household chores so it comes as no surprise that 90% of them report feeling tired and stressed!
”Unfortunately, what working moms have the least time for is themselves — something to keep in mind as we think of ways to pamper mom on Mother’s Day,” said Kelly Wallace, Chief Correspondent, at iVillage.
The study also found:
- Women aren’t receiving a passing grade when it comes to healthy habits. 77% agree that juggling work and family makes it hard to live a healthy lifestyle with close to 25% of moms reporting that they are not allowed to get sick!
- While the good news is that 59% of women surveyed are satisfied with the amount of time spent with their children, almost half, 47%, are not satisfied with the amount of time spent keeping fit/healthy.
- 23% of working moms polled would welcome increased support from friends and family, and 41% want more support from their husband/partner to make their lives easier.
- Part-time working moms are closest to achieving work-life balance, with 46% reporting that they are “busy but balanced: I’ve found harmony between work and home,” compared to just 20% of full-time working moms who can say the same.
- Merely 3 out of 10 women are happy with the amount of time they are able to spend alone with their partners once out of the office.
- Today’s working mom is more mobile than ever before! 67% of working moms rely on their smart phone to make their lives easier.
If you’re a working mom, how do you juggle the demands of work and home life? Share your solutions for keeping stress levels in check.
More from Parents.com: