Wednesday, April 4th, 2012
This is National Window Safety Week. If you live in an area where it’s starting to warm up, you’re probably ready to throw open those windows. But before you do, remember the following safety tips. After all, research shows that every year, approximately 5,200 children under the age of 18 are injured because of falls from windows. To keep your kids safe:
* Always make sure they’re locked
* Never put beds and furniture under windows–it’s way too tempting for young kids to climb up.
* Don’t rely on screens to prevent your child from falling out of a window.
* Don’t paint or seal windows shut. You want to be able to open all windows in case of an emergency.
* Consider installing window guards or window-opening control devices to make sure that windows don’t open too far.
For more advice, check out this brochure, courtesy of Andersen Windows & Doors’ Look Out For Kids! program.
Image: Pretty smiling little girl on balcony via Shutterstock