Friday, February 28th, 2014
Happy 8th birthday to Destination Maternity’s flagship store, in New York City. It’s the largest maternity apparel store in the world, and incidentally, a great resource for us at American Baby and Parents since our offices are not many blocks away!
Destination Maternity houses both Motherhood Maternity and A Pea in the Pod under one roof. Motherhood, the less pricey of the two, is the only maternity source to win a place in our coveted American Baby Bests Award stories. (The poll for Best Maternity Clothes for 2014 doesn’t go up until April, but please vote for your favorite baby gear in the meantime! And enter to win $300!)
1. Their sales associates are experts in all things maternity and nursing. That’s why I brought my sis-in-law to the store a year ago. She spelled out her very specific needs (conservative work dresses for a petite, curvy gal) and an employee became our personal shopper. PS It helped that we went first-thing on a weekday; that’s when you get the place more or less to yourself!
2. Preggos are nuts for the line’s Secret Fit Belly jeans. Even my sis-in-law, who went in saying she wasn’t going to bother with pants. She tried them on, and you could see the “ah-ha!” moment in her eyes. We’ve seen the same thing with models at American Baby photo shoots: Women who are trying to wear their old pants, unbuttoned, put on the Secret-Fit ones, and it’s like they’ve been liberated.
3. We know plenty of women need a special-occasion dress during their pregnancy–a baby-shower outfit if nothing else. There are a ton of dresses from Motherhood Maternity and A Pea in the Pod. Listen, I know there are also maternity-rental sites where you can “borrow” dressy clothes. But I still remember my pregnancies too clearly to totally get on board with renting. I was sweaty, I was clumsy, my sizing was weird…I needed to own my clothes, even the dressy ones. And for heaven’s sake, there are plenty of Motherhood dresses in the $40 range!
4. Like some other big chains we know and love, they have designer collaborations that now include Jessica Simpson Maternity and The Honest Company and, coming soon in March, L by Jennifer Love Hewitt. A Pea in the Pod also carries a bunch of designer brands including 7 for all Mankind, Rebecca Taylor, and Nanette Lepore.
5. Select locations have an Edamame Maternity Spa. And I can promise from personal experience that you don’t have to be pregnant to take advantage of the menu of services. So take your not-pregnancy friend with you!
And while we’re on the subject of looking and feeling great during pregnancy, get the lowdown on dying your hair and polishing your nails while you’re expecting by watching this!Add a Comment