#ParentsFreeForAll: Your Favorite $0 Activities
We’re all about having a fun time without spending a dime! In Parents’ July issue, our editor-in-chief shared her favorite family-friendly $0 activities. Last week, we asked you to tell us some of your favorite things to do with your kids without opening your wallet. Here’s what you had to say:
- Have an educational afternoon. Chantel Horn (@chantella04) takes her family to the Kalamazoo Valley Museum in Kalamazoo, MI. Their summer hands-on program for kids, which includes activities like crafting and doing puzzles, is bound to be a winner with your little ones. Parents’ Food Editor Karen Cicero loves taking her kids to the Lincoln Park Zoo in Chicago. The zoo has daily activities ranging from getting an inside look at keepers caring for seals to going inside the bird house at feeding time.
- Enjoy nature in a local, city, or state park. Kristan Thompson’s family enjoys riding their bikes to the duck pond to feed them and then playing on the playground. Christine Martin takes her family to Sulphur Creek, which is a city park in Hayward, CA. They offer lots of summer activities and animal sightseeing. You can also bring your lunch and have a picnic.
- Make a splash. If you live near a beach like Mandi (@johnsmandi), I hope you are already taking advantage. Otherwise, BeenyR (@ibbeenyr) suggests going to your local park. Some, like hers, have a spray ground, which can provide hours of enjoyment this summer.
- Read a book (in AC!). Carrie Myers and Jen Parker frequent their local libraries. An insider tip from Parker: They usually have great summer programs and you can borrow DVDs at most libraries for a week at no cost.
- Look, but don’t buy. Rachel Knapp’s 2-year-old son and Michele Hunter’s (@MicheleHunter) daughter love to go window shopping. It’s a great way to get some exercise, too. Hortense De Laforcade brings the family to the toy store and the pet store to look around.
- Fire trucks! What young kid wouldn’t enjoy checking out the fire station? Alexis Sheiman takes her son to their local one for an awesome afternoon.
- Go for a ride. Pamela’s (@Medlinniel) kids go nuts for the free trolley in downtown Dallas.
- Learn something new. Laura Russell (@elrussel10) recommends taking your little ones to your area’s Gymboree or The Little Gym. The first class is free.
Looking for more activities that won’t break the bank? Check out our list of free attractions by state. Happy summer adventures to you and your family!
Image via Shutterstock.Add a Comment