“Mommy, tell me the truth: are you the Tooth Fairy?

That’s the question I got at 6:15 this morning, after my 7-year-old, Julia, found four quarters under her pillow (quarters I only remembered to slip there at 4:35 a.m. when my subconscious woke me from a dream about her losing a top tooth).

Shoot. I wasn’t prepared for this. I stalled with, “What do you mean?”

“Are you the one that put the money under my pillow?”

My face got goofy. “I don’t know what you want me to say…” (As in, are you sure you want to know?)

She stared at me. “Yes or no!”

My face got goofier.

“That’s a yes,” she said.

I shut my bedroom door. “Okay, listen,” I said conspiratorially. “I am–but you can’t say anything to your friends, and you can’t tell Lila,” referring to her 4-year-old sister.

Her eyes bulged and she laughed. “You are?! You’re the Tooth Fairy? I knew it. I knew it!”

And before I could even begin to get sad about my little girl growing up, she said, “Wait. Are you everybody’s Tooth Fairy, or just mine?”

Love it! “No, honey, I don’t have time to be everybody’s Tooth Fairy.”

“So everybody’s parents are their Tooth Fairy?” she clarified.

“Yes. And remember–it’s fun to believe in the Tooth Fairy, so don’t tell your friends, and don’t tell Lila.” We shook on it.

Tell me, everyone who’s been in this position: How long until she connects the dots and asks about Santa? Please tell me there’s time!

1. by dkengeri

On January 11, 2013 at 10:16 am

Here’s the best response to the Santa question that I’ve found, and I plan to use it -

2. by Kara Corridan

On January 11, 2013 at 10:43 am

Thank you! I love that response too.

3. by Catherine

On January 11, 2013 at 12:42 pm

Here is another one I really like: http://www.greeblemonkey.com/2012/12/letter-from-santa.html

In our case, one of my kids asked about the Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny (actually, didn’t ask – informed me of what she knew), but Santa was conspicuously left out.

4. by Thebostonmom

On January 11, 2013 at 6:27 pm

The older brother of one of my sons (5) friends told him their dad was Santa. He meant of course there is no Santa, mom and dad give the gifts. Well the little boy went to school the next day and told the whole class his day was the Real Santa and he would be flying to everyone’s house on Christmas eve!! Gotta love how little kids minds work :)

5. by colleen

On January 12, 2013 at 8:45 pm

Wise words from my mother..”If you don’t believe ..you don’t recieve” that went for everything..tooth fairy, Easter bunny, & Santa.. so you bet your bottom dollar 37 yrs and I still believe :O)

6. by Heidi Amavisca

On January 12, 2013 at 8:53 pm

Sorry, Love- But for my older kids (20 and 16 now) once the cat was out of the bag on the Tooth Fairy, the next Christmas it was Santa. Embrace it as another milestone and be honest with her. Enlisting her in the conspiracy was a nice touch ;)

7. by Beverly K

On January 12, 2013 at 9:02 pm

We don’t do the Tooth Fairy (my kids have always known the truth about the Easter Bunny and Santa for that matter as well), but we do celebrate this milestone by reading a book about traditions around the world when a child looses their tooth. We have simply told them that it’s fun to “pretend” and everyone in the world celebrates differently….

Throw Your Tooth on the Roof: Tooth Traditions from Around the World (Author, Beeler)

8. by Jessyca

On January 12, 2013 at 9:02 pm

Colleen,

My mom said the same thing to me. I’m 32 and still believe…

9. by Michaela

On January 12, 2013 at 9:20 pm

As for Santa – when I was maybe 6 or 7 a classmate told me there was no Santa. So I went home and asked my brother about it (he is 7.5 yrs older and knew everything!). He told me that sometimes kids are on the naughty list and Santa won’t come to them so their parents tell them there is no Santa so they won’t feel bad. Not bad for a teenager to come up with to give his little sister a little longer to believe the magic. I actually used this when my son told me a classmate said he and his parents don’t believe in Santa. He is only 5 and in kindergarten. So I figure some day he will forgive me for lying to him. :) I figure if some brat wants to try to ruin it for my kid I can say he might be on the naughty list. Lol

10. by sarah

On January 15, 2013 at 10:41 am

I plan on telling my boy (who’s currently 6) the truth about Saint Nicholas by explaining the history of what he did in his litttle town. Then explain that the Santas we see – at the malls, movies and books are all fictional. I want him to know we celebrate how he secretly gifted people by continuing with stocking stuffers and the big Santa gift. We make our Christmas about Jesus’ birth and luckily that will never change.

11. by furniture ball casters for hardwood floors

On March 29, 2013 at 8:41 am

I think a few other internet site lovers would be wise to give thought to this important web page as a model. Extraordinarily clean and straightforward design, and in many cases impressive content and articles! You’re a specialist in this excellent subject :)