More About Kate Middleton’s Severe Morning Sickness…

The future heir to the English throne is already causing trouble—Kate Middleton has reportedly been hospitalized with severe morning sickness (also called hyperemesis gravidarum). While most pregnant women experience some of the nausea and vomiting that are thought to be associated with the surges in levels of the human chorionic gonadotropin (HCG) in the first trimester, women who experience hyperemesis gravidarum far exceed the standard morning sickness that most women experience.

A diagnosis of hyperemesis gravidarum usually means that the pregnancy has brought on serious vomiting and nausea that doesn’t improve with changes to the diet and continues beyond the 12th week of pregnancy. It can cause severe dehydration and an inability to keep any food down—a serious issue when you’re trying to eat for two.

Likely, Kate’s been hospitalized so they can give her IV fluids to treat dehydration, and medications that can quell the nausea and vomiting. That’s the standard of treatment for any woman who gets this diagnosis.

Hopefully, with a little time and TLC, Kate’ll be on the mend soon—many women who develop severe morning sickness often find that it disappears on its own later in the pregnancy.

Photo: Kate Middleton by Featureflash / Shutterstock.com

1. by leeann pyles

On December 4, 2012 at 9:59 pm

I too suffered from this with all 3 of my boys. Hospital stays from dehydration, iv’s pushing fluids, 24/7 9 months of nausea, and prescription medicine wouldn’t stay down long enough to take effect

2. by Kalina

On December 5, 2012 at 2:14 am

I never had any sickness, nausea or vomiting with my daughter but am very happy to learn the cause and treatment for future reference. I only wanted grapefruit and very hot sauce in the first trimester.

3. by Dawn

On December 5, 2012 at 10:49 am

4. by Deborah

On December 5, 2012 at 10:51 am

Both my pregnancies included hyperemesis gravidarum. The first Pregnancy: I had 3 hospital visits for dehydration (I was 4 weeks pregnant, just found out). By the 8th week I couldn’t hold anything down and I had lost 60 lbs. I couldn’t stand the smell of my husband taking a shower!
    At 10 weeks my OBGYN gave me a pik line (a large IV for artery veins instead of regular veins). Things got better after that. I got ALL meds, fluids and nutrition for the rest of my pregnancy through that pik line. It was literally my life line. And my baby boy was born healthy and beautiful!

5. by Stacey Smith

On December 5, 2012 at 10:51 am

I had the same thing couldn’t even keep water down. After my hospital stay I ended up having a pump attached to me for a month that constantly fed anti-nausea medicine to me. Baby boy came out a healthy 9lbs 7ozs.

6. by Misty Reynolds

On December 5, 2012 at 11:39 am

I was in and out of the hospital my whole pregnancy due to hyperemesis. It didn’t go away til I gave birth and then I almost died due to severe hemorrhaging. I definitely fell for Kate and hopen hers goes away.

7. by penny

On December 5, 2012 at 11:51 am

I am with Dawn # 3. I had this diagnosis with BOTH of my pregnancies and i got to a point where i was a a loss for words with what i was dealering with .. i was not only unable to take care of myself but unable to do anything.. its non stop vomitng.. months of it and dehydration and no matter how much i rested or stayed still it never stopped.. i knew my second baby was coming when i felt a breat in the nausea at 35 weeks.. I vimited daily night and day until then.. coudlnt walk much and was so weak i was scared for us both … but no matter how much phenugrin (sp) or zofran or whatever else they tried woudl help and it was non stop non stop ! Hosp visits almost ever other week and to the point where they almost put a port in me for easier IV. Its horrible but the blessing that comes out of it… amazing.. but with each pregnancy it got worse and worse and i fear that if i were to have a third it may just take me OUT .. so im blesses with the two and im good. BUT i totally have been ehre and worse and i send good vibes to anyone who has even the slight severity of this condition while pregnant.

totally agree with #3 – Dawn – GET EDUCATED on WHATEVER IT IS –

3.by Dawn
    On December 5, 2012 at 10:49 am
    “As someone that went through two pregnancies w hyperemesis you need to get yor facts straight…it does not get better w rest and tlc and it does not go away until the baby is born. Many people need to take an anti nausea medication such as Zofran or reglan and many need a pic line inserted(I did twice) to have constant iv to prevent dehydration. Many doctors do not believe this is a real medical condition and many dismiss it as severe morning sickness but it is much more than that…broken blood vessels in the eyes from vomiting so much, inability to keep anything down, many food aversions…read up on it before you write such an insensitive report. Or do something better..research it and put it in your magazines…many women silently suffer w this(well not many it’s less than 5% of the population) and put it out there for people to read…it’s not fair that bc she is a celebrity people are finding out about this dibiliating side effect of pregnancy.”

8. by Tiah

On December 5, 2012 at 11:53 am

I suffered from Hyperemisis with two of my pregnancies. I wouldn’t put my worst enemy through that! Many, many nights I slept on the bathroom floor. In and out of the hospital. Six years ago this condition was not well known outside of the doctors office. I missed 45 days of work! On top of that, I had to spit in a cup all day, everyday until the sixth month. I know what she is going through and I hope she doesn’t suffer the whole pregnancy. My babies were born healthy and strong as well!

9. by Dawnmaria

On December 5, 2012 at 11:53 am

Mine did not go away until I had my daughter. I lost 30 pounds in just 1 month. I even contemplated abortion because it was so horrible. I lived on zofran and phenergan. I was terrified to be medicated for the whole pregnancy but I couldnt be without it . Thank goodness I had the support of my family. It really is sad that a celeb has to experince this for it to get worldwide recognition smh. When i saw my beautiful healthy daughter it was worth all the hell!

10. by Dawnmaria

On December 5, 2012 at 12:04 pm

I forgot to add that my doctor related hyperemesis to some women experiencing an increase in estrogen production which causes more saliva to be produced and it thickens during pregnancy. Having to swallow and taste all that tenacious mucous is what causes the intense morning sickness. I used to get sick of her telling me to drink more water but one day i drank about 75oz of water ( I guess the baby wanted it). Drinking all that water made my spit thinner and easier to swallow because i couldnt taste it and voila i wasnt sick at all that day. It worked but i hate water and couldnt drink that much daily.

11. by Kathryn

On December 5, 2012 at 12:06 pm

I had this with both my kids. It was a nightmare, even smelling food was a problem. I lost 20 pounds with the first and 19 with the second.You have to be treated for dehydration and given vitamins at the Dr or Hospital. It went on for the entire pregnancy and both my kids were a month early. It was amazing they were healthy with only a slight medical problem my son had.I feel so bad for her and hope she stays happy and healthy.

12. by Jenny lamberty

On December 5, 2012 at 12:15 pm

I went thru the same thing with all three of my kids my first child my son now 13, til I was seven and a half months with in home care with iv fluid and my daughter now 11, til I was five months and my newest addition to my family my son this time with a pick line until I was one week shy of five months, this is hard to handle and it hurts when you want what’s best for you and your baby. It takes a lot for a woman to try and deal with such pain and agony, but in the end all worth it.

13. by Kimberly

On December 5, 2012 at 12:53 pm

I have to say that it is so sad that it took this long for HG to finally be recognized. I too went through the same thing with my youngest son. It was so severe that I was told that I was the worse case that my doctor had ever seen. From relentless nausea, IV’s, home health nurses, PICC lines and TPN’s plus intermittent hospital stays for 8 months. I also suffered from malnutrition. I wouldn’t wish this on my worst enemy. However, I do hope that she gets the help she needs to keep her comfortable and healthy during her pregnancy.

14. by Kandra

On December 5, 2012 at 12:57 pm

I have it too, this is my second pregnancy and I lost 30 lbs in less than 3 weeks so I had to stop working, and I was depressed because I couldn’t properly care for my 1 yr old the first 24 weeks of my pregnancy. Even worse, when he hit the “imitation” stage of toddlerhood, he did the one thing he’d seen most, he imitated me puking into the toilet. Al I could do was cry… On the up side, when he got sick at the store a couple weeks ago he some strait for a barrel next to the cart (the barrel was full of candy unfortunately, but it’s the concept of a 15 month old aiming that counts lol) but its hard. I don’t need to even mention the medical reasons why, those are obviously listed by other victims, but it kills your experience. My marraige has taken a hard hit from it, feeling so sick all the time sex is not an option. I’m blessed m husband understands, but it doesn’t make it any easier. My son learned to walk and play while I was pregnant and sick, so now playtime is daddy time in his mind, mommy doesn’t play, she lays on the couch and throws up. My house becomes a disaster and moving to try and change it makes the nausea worse. Nothing sounds good, but when u want something it comes right back up… It’s depressing… I am due with my second and thankfully girl baby in February, and I am only thankful because I know that there is no way I’ll be able to handle any more pregnancies or achieve my dream of a big family, the first pregabnxy took a permanent 27 lbs off, i never gaine after he was born, and this pregnancy put me far underweight, its not worth he risk :( I’m blessed with two though so I’ll take it :)

15. by Deborah Spratt

On December 5, 2012 at 1:25 pm

I too suffered from this with all three children I was hospitalized for the first the second ivwentbin daily for 3 hour a day and they filled me with fluids by IV. I qualified to have in home care but having no one to help with changing bags I opted out… She has plenty of help she should do this. My hcg levels always exceeded that of someone caring twins and so I remained I’ll down to the day of birth… On the up side I gave birh with every child with in three hours. My third child was the same problem everything triggered hyperemesis. I had to brush with out tooth paste the entire time.

16. by Debra Spratt

On December 5, 2012 at 1:45 pm

Reglan and zofran and everything else didn’t work it wasn’t until the third child that I discovered sweet tea from McDonald’s was the only drink I could keep down I was concerned about caffeine in take but dr said this was better than the latter. It only didn’t stay in twice and it was yummy coming up compared to everything else. Maybe the antioxidants in the tea with the sugar does something that fixes the prob…

17. by RS

On December 5, 2012 at 4:29 pm

“The future heir to the English throne is already causing trouble—Kate Middleton has reportedly been hospitalized with severe morning sickness (also called hyperemesis gravidarum).”

She’s causing trouble by having morning sickness? How is she causing trouble, and is she expected to be some ‘thing’ to accessorize the royal family? Are you kidding me? What a weird thing to write.

18. by Sarah

On December 5, 2012 at 7:26 pm

When I read about this the other day I immediately felt horrible for Kate. I had it with both pregnancy’s. I lost 60 lbs with my first and 35 with my 2nd. I am hoping that this brings others into reality for those of us who suffer from hg. I was constantly being called weak and a baby because I “couldn’t handle being pregnant” and actually had people say “it’s just throwing up”. It is sad that it takes a high profile case to get the word out, but at least it is happening now.

19. by Kris

On December 5, 2012 at 8:06 pm

They’re referring to the child causing trouble. Kate is not heir to the throne. Her child is.

20. by Vivian

On December 5, 2012 at 8:57 pm

I was diagnosed with hyperemesis too! But what i found weird is that this been such a horrible thing to go thru especially pregnant there are not support groups or anything, i suffer until my baby was born all the vomiting, iv 24/7 zofren pump 24/7 spitting in a cup, etc, also i didn’t think it would be possible to have with a second pregnancy…

21. by Vivian

On December 5, 2012 at 9:29 pm

Kandra i feel really bad for u and i completly understand how you feel, i have been thru it here is my email just in case you need someone to talk to that understands morenesis1@yahoo.com.

Try to be strong girl!

22. by Kathleen

On December 6, 2012 at 2:37 am

My sympathy goes out to anyone diagnosed with this condition. Anyone who has gone through this knows just how debilitating it is. My last pregnancy 4 years ago, I was diagnosed with hyperemesis gravidarum. I was sick morning, noon and night, 24 hours a day. It was horrible and debilitating. I couldn’t do anything but lay in bed and vomit (getting rest for me did NOTHING!)Sleeping was even a chore and if I did fall asleep, would awake only to have another ‘episode’ of uncontrollable vomiting. I could only sip on ice chips and actually spent 3 nights in a row with a pillow and blanket next to my toilet. I barely had enough energy to pull my head up into the bowl. My eyes turned red I vomited so hard. My stomach muscles and insides felt like I went 9 rounds with Mike Tyson.

As it persisted, the docs wanted to stick a port into me and deliver intravenous drugs to give me relief in hopes that I could function.

In retrospect, I suppose the 3 nights on the bathroom floor, I should have been hospitalized, and accepted the port. (If you are unable to keep any fluid down and have dark urine, you need to go to the hospital immediately and get some IV fluids so you don’t risk dehydration).

Instead, I sought alternative treatment. My hospital recommended a Licensed Acupuncturist and I was referred right away. (Later I found I was part of an ongoing study participant for alternative treatments for this condition). I went 3 – 4 times per week at first for one hour treatments. At each visit, my acupuncturist would ask me the extent of my nausea on a scale of 1 – 10, with 10 being the worst. I would seriously be at a 12! After the initial treatment, I was amazed! I really felt much better. I went home without vomiting for 2 hours or more. With each visit, the time lengthened without feeling any nausea or vomiting. I was able to function and join the human race again. Eating was bearable again.
    As a result of this study, this particular hospital now offers acupuncture for Hyperemisis patients as all of the participants noted significant relief.

By 7 months, my hyperemesis finally subsided. My hope is that for anyone going through this, that you ask your Doctor for a referral and try it first if you don’t want to opt for the drugs. Best of luck. The end result will be worth it :) My beautiful boy just turned 4.

23. by Ivy

On December 6, 2012 at 10:31 am

I too, suffered from hyperemesis during my first pregnancy. It was the most awful thing I have ever experienced! I was hospitalized several times, received medication to try and control the nausea and lost a lot of weight. Unfortunately, I lost my baby boy at almost 20 weeks. Eventhough it wasn’t a direct result of the hyperemesis, my body had become to weak to resist infection and my baby was stillborn. I spent two weeks in the hospital and several nights in ICU fighting for my own life. So for those out there who think this is just bad “morning sickness” think again. I am happy to say that I did have two beautiful, healthy children after that and that my morning sickness, though severe, did not reach the hyperemesis level again! So have heart fellow sufferers, it can get better.