I don’t have an Elf on the Shelf. And I don’t want one.

I don’t have an elf. I’m not getting an elf. And for the love of Christmas, please don’t buy me an elf.

Parents, you know the elf I’m talking about: the Elf on the Shelf, that doll with the freakishly thin physique, jaunty hat, and creepy sideways glance. When I first heard about this Christmas interloper a few years ago, I thought so very wrongly that he’d go the way of countless other bad ideas that get trotted out every holiday season, and be left behind in a heap of Christmas albums from yesteryear’s boy bands.

But in a few short years, The Elf on the Shelf: A Christmas Tradition, a marketing marvel cooked up by a couple of moms, who packaged the pixie in a festive keepsake box complete with storybook, has cemented its seat at the Christmas table, right alongside such classics as Frosty and Rudolph. The elf even got his own TV special.  However, unlike everyone’s favorite snowman and reindeer, which know their rightful place is at the North Pole, the elf is a fitful, messy, repeat overnight guest in your home, at the busiest time of the year.

You see, it’s not enough to just have an elf perched on your mantel or TV console, “watching” the kids for good behavior each day before he “flies” to the North Pole and delivers his report to “Santa.” The next morning, the kids bound out of bed to see where Buddy or Jingle or Jack (it’s critical to name your elf; that’s how he gets his magic, instructs the book) has return-landed overnight, whether in the branches of the Christmas tree in your living room, or atop the American Standard in your bathroom (yes, really). The elf is sometimes found having made some midnight mischief, like having gone for a spin with Barbie in her pink convertible (that sly dog), or wedging himself inside an upside-down glass in the cabinet. In some homes, this nightly ritual starts before the calendar page even turns to December.

How fun! What excitement!

Is it?

In a moment of elf peer pressure (“The kids love it,” said one friend; “It is a great discipline tool,” conceded another), I thought about my children, and their friends with toy elves dangling from the mesh side pockets of their backpacks this time of year. Was I being a mean, self-centered mother, averting my gaze from the towers of Elf on the Shelf boxes crowding the aisles at Barnes and Noble?

I turned to the most scientific poll I have at my disposal: I asked my Facebook friends.

“Am I the last mom without an Elf on the Shelf?” I wondered aloud.

Quickly, I was assured by a handful of friends I was not. What did we need this elf for anyway, one pointed out, when we already have an all-seeing Santa to keep an eye on who’s been naughty or nice?

And then, there in my news feed between photos of elves making snow angels in plates of flour, or elves sledding down hills of mini marshmallows, the elf regret poured in.

“Don’t get one!” implored one friend. “It’s a total pain in the you-know-what!”

“Is it possible to resent a stuffed doll?” said a second pal. “How many times I’ve woken in the middle of the night to realize I forgot to move ‘Freddie.’”

“Someone bought an elf for us. It’s on a shelf, the shelf in my closet,” said another friend. “And there it shall remain another year.”

So moms, if you’re suffering from elf remorse, take heart: you’re not alone. And if your elf gets lost on his way home from the North Pole, or makes the unfortunate choice of hiding deep inside the kitchen trash can, or meets the jaws of the family dog, this mother, and countless other have-enough-to-do-besides-remember-to-move-a-freaking-elf moms, won’t judge you.

And if anyone dares to buy you a replacement elf, I have just the idea for a gift you can get for that person in return, one that also likes to launch surprise messes when nobody’s looking.

A puppy.

Tags: , | Categories: GoodyBlog

1. by Amy S.

On November 30, 2012 at 12:19 pm

Thank you for freeing me from the guilt–this was spot-on! As if we need one more thing to worry about. Marketing magic, indeed!

2. by Buggi B

On November 30, 2012 at 9:14 pm

Good article. But I’d rather believe in what you say if it was with a proper reason as in why not to get an elf?!? There are people who try to create all sorts of Christmas magic (with lifeless characters), but if you think the “elf” is a commercial trick, then who is “Santa” these days?!? Isn’t Santa being more of a marketing trick now?!? Santa is every where from groceries to banks selling something… So why not an elf?!? I personally don’t believe in this “elf magic” too, but you need to give a proper reason why its worth it for the “elf” (if it got lost on its way back home or met any other tragedies you have mentioned) if you already have one, simply because you don’t have time to move it over night, that does not mean your kids are not going to love him, or miss him and feel sad about the tragedy it meets (like you have suggested) when it returns from north pole. This is where your creativity should come in, to make the elf work the way you have time and convenient for you!! Rather than making him meet with a cruel accident or dump it in the trash bin?!? seriously?!? How mean is that?!? Christmas is all about giving for others and thinking of family happiness; and if you think the christmas characters are being commercialized, they are all commercialized from santa, to rain deers and what not!! Its not only the elf! Thinking out “loud” differently is fine but please don’t trigger those mean ideas for such an innocent way of making it fun for the little ones during christmas! You are giving other moms the idea that they can be mean to just take away anything that the kids love, but you don’t have time to be doing! If I had an elf, and I didn’t have time to move it over night, then I’d do it in the morning! Rather than dumping him in the trash bin, or making it a snack for the dog!!

3. by Buggi B

On November 30, 2012 at 9:16 pm

ps. I don’t have an elf on shelf nor I am a promoter of elves on the shelves. I just don’t like the mean actions you have applied to the whole christmas cheer thing!! :)

4. by Buggi B

On November 30, 2012 at 9:23 pm

Instead, why not inspire the kids to do 30 good things during December (each day) or at least 12 good things during the 12 days of christmas? ei:
    01. On the 12th day of Christmas, you get elves to collect some clothes and shoes that everyone in the family are not using, but are still too good to be thrown away, to be donated for a charity organization.
    02. On the 11th day of Christmas,Collect books that can be given away, and drop them off at the library or collecting centers.
    03. On the 10th day of Christmas, Bake something for their friends/neighbors/grand parents who dont get much visitors, and visit them.
    04. On the 09th day of Christmas, the elf sighs that the kids help out their mom do the laundry/clean the garden/fold the laundry or clean the kitchen after dinner.
    05. On the 08th day… and the list goes on if you are creative enough!! Hope this inspired the moms who already have a elf on their shelf!

5. by jln1014

On November 30, 2012 at 9:29 pm

Wow, you don’t want the hassle of moving the elf around every night? It takes maybe 5 seconds. What else don’t you have time to be bothered with as a mom? Parent of the Year award to this woman right here!

6. by Beth

On November 30, 2012 at 9:31 pm

Glad to know I am not alone. My Facebook feed is full of elf pictures each day, and I am not fan. And at the risk of scarring my kids for life, we don’t do Santa either.

7. by Joslyn Gould

On November 30, 2012 at 10:01 pm

I was verbally attacked about this same topic today in front of my 3 year old! It is not a ‘tradition’ it is a book that was published 7 years ago and happens to have caught a following (kind of like the Rocky Horror Picture Show, but I like that one). Santa has been around longer than any of us has been alive, so excuse me if the magic and tradition of Santa is something parents can support vs an elf that causes mayhem. For those that are criticizing the author (and others) for not partaking in this so called ‘tradition’, get over yourselves – some of us DO have better things to do than deal with one more thing at the holidays (family members that require full time care, multiple jobs, doing MEANINGFUL things with our kids like volunteering, etc) – the author is not criticizing your choice to take part in this fad, she just chooses not to.

8. by Lola

On November 30, 2012 at 10:58 pm

I am in total agreement. I don’t need to scare my kids into behaving by buying (literally) into this “tradition”. I have dish towels that are older than this “tradition”. It’s ridiculous.

9. by CathyG

On November 30, 2012 at 11:11 pm

Jeez Buggi & Jin, lighten up!!! Not only is that freaky little elf another thing for a busy mom to remember, it’s just down right creepy!!!

Loved the article… and I have to agree with the writer 100%!!!

10. by Caitlyn

On November 30, 2012 at 11:38 pm

I have enough trouble remembering the tooth fairy with everything we’ve got going on (you’d be impressed with my cover stories though…yes, plural. Oops…)
    I LOVE the pictures of the elves on their shelves and all of the mayhem they cause, I just don’t want to cause any of the mayhem in MY house.

11. by aj

On December 1, 2012 at 1:06 am

My niece/nephew have an elf. Not sure if my kids will ever see one in this house. But, I must ask you all: have you seen the original elves? I grew up with 3 of them on our tree every Christmas since the early 60s. Who knows where our parents ever found them. You think these current elves have a ‘creepy sideways glance’? The originals frightened everyone. They had those ‘Twilight Zone’ expressions that probably motivated the scary doll scene of ‘Poltergeist’! These originals wouldn’t need a parent to move it around every night. They would move themselves!!

12. by Ashlee

On December 1, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Oh my word. I could have written this article. My feelings are exactly the same.

And some of you fellow moms are MEAN. Wow. First of all, lighten up. Second of all, stop judging other moms. We should be encouraging each other to be the best moms we can be, whatever that means for each individual family.

13. by Edward Kuntzman VP Pop-In-Kins LLC

On December 1, 2012 at 10:57 pm

In 1985, 20 years prior to the other elf, Flora Johnson of Atwater, Ohio wrote a story about a little elf named Christopher Pop-In-Kins who loves children and asks Santa if he can visit them during the holiday season. Santa grants Christopher’s wish as long as he is back on Christmas Eve with a report on his holiday visit. Santa tells Christopher he is permitted to play hide-and-seek but cannot be touched by the children.
    From 1985 to 2000, Flora handmade each one of the elves. She was scared children would tear apart her handmade elf if they played with him, so she wrote into the story that Christopher was magical and could not be touched.
    By 2000, Flora had made over 10,000 elves by hand at her kitchen table. Her husband Al had handpublished a copy of Flora’s book for each elf.
    In 2004, Flora’s son Rick took Christopher to the Chicago Trade Show. The elf received the Chicago Choice Award. Christopher also received favorable notice at the 2004 New York Toy Fair.
    Unfortunately, Flora and her husband passed away in 2005 (and within three days of each other).
    Christopher Pop-In-Kins has been redesigned (he is now child friendly) and his book has been re-illustrated. But Flora’s 27 year old story about Christopher remains the same.
    Pop-In-Kins LLC added a girl elf with her own story in 2010 in recognition of Christopher’s 25th year.
    Pop-In-Kins book and elf sets have been sold through specialty stores across the country and NOT in the big box stores and bookstore chains as others have.
    With the mass commercialization of elves, hiding places and elf activities have gone to the extreme. Some elves are even being sold because of their mischevious behavior. Others are being used to terrify children into being good. Those elves who were supposed to supervise the activities of children are now doing things (with the help of the parents)for which children would certainly be punished.
    This is not to say some parents have fallen to the same behavior with Christopher and Christina Marie. But definitely not all.
    Flora’s original intent was to make Christopher Pop-In-Kins a fun activity to share with the family during the holiday season. We encourage parents to do the same.
    Edward Kuntzman VP Pop-In-Kins LLC

14. by Cathie

On December 4, 2012 at 7:51 pm

Love the article. I don’t necessarily agree with you, but I love the vehemence of your convictions! :)

I don’t have an Elf on the Shelf and I probably won’t get one. But mostly because the pressure to compete is way too much for me. I see the images of Leroy or Kermit or Bentley and his antics in the homes of my friends, and I just can’t compete. But I love to check out the images they post on facebook – especially one friend in particular whose little Leroy gets in so much trouble every day that I literally have to laugh out loud.

But to each his own. Nice article. You gave me a grin.

15. by Julie

On December 4, 2012 at 7:51 pm

Good for you! I will not be buying a freakish elf on the shelf either! The poor thing kind of scares me and will not be a part of my family’s tradition. :)

16. by heidi crowley

On December 4, 2012 at 8:00 pm

I don’t get the whole making the elf “do” naughty things when his job is to tell santa if the kids were to do the things he is doing. I have enough messes to clean. Bt my kids love it. I have had no problem taking 30 seconds out of my day to move the elf to a new spot before I go to bed (and I’m very forgetful) if it’s not your thing ,thats cool, but taking that 30 seconds out of my day to watch my kids have fun trying to find his new spot in the morning is worth it. However should this elf do anything naughty he will go by way of the trashcan ,as my kids know I would not deal wit us having a “naughty” scout elf. So please to you women who enjoy cleaning so much that you make your elf make a holy heck of a mess, only for you to clean it up in the morning, please don’t post the stupid things you make your elves do,your making the rest of us who just move him at night look bad.

17. by Ashley

On December 4, 2012 at 8:01 pm

I guess I don’t find it an inconvenience to simply move an elf a couple feet to make my daughter smile. I certainly do things far worse than that, that take up much more effort and energy to see her smile. Charlotte gets moved after Vannah goes to sleep. She’ll continue to be a tradition in our house.

18. by LT

On December 4, 2012 at 8:15 pm

Wow, I can’t believe I found someone who’s more obnoxious and bitchier than I am. Next time my husband tells me I’m “the worst” I’ll send him over to read this crap.

19. by Marlee

On December 4, 2012 at 8:16 pm

Wow… If you got this much time to stir over some small little elf then you have to much time. It’s an Elf big deal. Relax ladies. I am sure there are worst things in life to stir about. So get in the Christmas mood and do whatever traditions make you and your family unique. Good luck! ps. We do Elf on The Shelf and my kids LOVE it. I would buy it again and again, Holiday money maker or not. The whole santa money maker makes lots more money.

20. by marie

On December 4, 2012 at 8:31 pm

Everyone has their own opinion and thoughts on this but what is the point of talking so badly about something like this…???? If you don’t like it that’s fine but keep it to your self! And just because it is not a “tradition” that was started before any of us were born does not mean it can’t be one now… seriously, people start new family traditions All The Time!!!!!! Young children actually do like it and are not scared of it, but look forward to seeing what fun things their elf has done the night before. It is a FUN TRADITION that will be in my family for at least as long as I am around. Really, it takes about a minute to set the elf up…. calm down and forget about it if you don’t like it :)

21. by Dawn

On December 4, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Ok, bottom line of the article (which doesn’t ACTUALLY appear at the bottom but is the gist of it) for those of you who got you panties in a bunch over whatever portion of the article that offended you :rolls eyes:
    is this:
    “So moms, if you’re suffering from elf remorse, take heart: you’re not alone”

It’s a different perspective.

22. by Lori

On December 4, 2012 at 8:44 pm

Well, we don’t even do Santa Claus in our house. My husband immigrated to the country when he was really little, and it just wasn’t a tradition that he grew up with. And that’s ok. My kids will still grow up to be healthy, normal, functioning parts of society, without Santa or Elves, just like your kids will grow up to be the same, with or without Santa and/or an elf. It’s ok. We have our own individual unique families, with our own traditions and beliefs. It’s Christmas, a time to be kind, not trash each other in the comments of a random blog post. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dj9mpBdUAU

23. by Mommalidi

On December 4, 2012 at 8:53 pm

Elf on the shelf is freaking creepy anyways!

24. by Heather

On December 4, 2012 at 9:11 pm

I do have an elf on the shelf for my son that we bought this year. He did begin his voyage to us on the 30th of November with a special breakfast recipe for me to get my son in the Christmas spirit. The Elf gives my son a task to help him learn about the Holiday every day until the 24th. Whether it be something simple like light a candle and say a prayer for a lost loved one or something extreme like the Elf giving him $50 to spend on toys for the donation bin at his karate studio. The elves are not all that bad like others make them. I do not make mine a mess and I do leave him only in the living room because I am not comfortable cleaning up the messes you have mentioned and I don’t believe that he should wonder anywhere else in the house. To just make him leave and never return would be devastating for a believing child since he is there to report to Santa or to have a child wake up and find it in the family dog’s mouth- talk about a grudge! I don’t think that this is for everyone and when you do extreme things, whether it be this or a huge vacation, those things become work and not fun anymore so they do become harder for you to do to keep up with them. I believe that this is a poor judgement on if you should get this Elf or not. Please do not just go by what this author has given for excuses not to go with it, but judge it for yourself and think about things that you can do with it to make it a happy situation for your family!

25. by robyn

On December 4, 2012 at 9:16 pm

While I respect the opinion of the author, I have to say, I read this with a pang of sadness. My son is completely enthralled by the elf. I love watching him bound down the stairs each morning to find where the elf has landed for the day. He comes back, eyes filled with excitement, just waiting to tell us that he found Nemo. The magic, the joy–it’s priceless. Our kids are only little for just a handful of years. Once they stop believing, it’s the end of the magic for us too. And yes, they do have Santa, but having this elf for the last two weeks has made it feel like Christmas morning every day. It’s a memory I’m going to cherish forever, regardless of the inconvenience or commercialism.

26. by melanie nance

On December 4, 2012 at 11:20 pm

To be hoest this is the first year i have heard anything about an elf on a shelf. I didnt have a clue what it was until i seen all my friends posting pictures of the little creatures..Some of them are very creative im sure there child get up every morning to see what the little guy or gal has gotten into next..my son is just one year old and im trying to teach him about christmas in general let alone a elf. I like that so many parents are taking a interest in this activity with there children. Any tradition that envoles a parent and a child bonding and sharing in a little adventure or story is worth the effort.. I will not do the elf on the shelf this year or probably next year just cause my child is to young. I will do things like cookies for santa and making orniments and things like that. But as i said any activity that evovel a parent doing things with and for their child is worth it..Christmas is about love, family, tradition so i say kudos to them…

27. by Angellike

On December 5, 2012 at 3:21 am

I have to say being creative in thought each year was a challenge not to mention Having our elf (mark Roberts elf) appear day after thanksgiving was also challenging a couple of years. But that’s it. A COUPLE OF YEARS WAS ALL WE HAD. The magic that was instilled is unmeasurable. My teenagers now look at our elves knowing their names and laugh. It was not laughter at first. They were disappointed to find out that they were not real. But once the original shock wore off the memories are there to stay

MARK ROBERTS elves are NOT scary and quite frankly are a beautiful addition to our holiday decor

IF you are a working mom with 10 children the elf is a necessity. Can’t tell you the times my children pondered the angel on the right shoulder vs the little devil on the left. It even worked in our favor. Mom and dad did not behave. The trampoline was left half past midnight UNASSEMBLED

I recommend the elf on the shelf. However I recommend the brand MARK ROBERTS. they have magical looking sparkling eyes and are a BEAUTIFUL ADDITION to your holiday decor

Even though the truth has been told the elves remain a tradition in our home. They don’t move but I can’t tell you the look on my children’s face when they realized they could touch them. You see, our story was that if they touched them( Mark Roberts are not cheap) the magical spell would be broken Unpacking the elves the first year that they believed in Christmas for what it is. A time of giving, they were excited to hold the elves. A bitter sweet ending to a magical memory It is a sad day when Santa is identified as MOM or DAD. But what we do still have is NOT lost We still have THE MAGIC OF CHRISTMAS. Christmas is a magical time of the year. Create your family magical tradition. I really like Buggy’s comment The 12 days of GIVING !!

Many blessings

28. by Betty

On December 5, 2012 at 3:25 am

Don’t be such a scruge.

29. by Joni

On December 5, 2012 at 6:34 am

You could have moved your elf 676 times in the time it took you to write this…

30. by Susan Kain

On December 5, 2012 at 9:31 am

I too do not have or plan to get one. I think they are ugly and simply do not have the extra time to move it around.

31. by Shantel

On December 5, 2012 at 10:36 am

My son 1st heard of this from his grandmother and his friends. The Elf on the Shelf has been around since my mother was a child, although it did not come with a book. Back when she was a child it sat perched on the mantel or shelf. It would move around to different parts of the house, but did not cause mischeif. At least theirs did not. My son has one, all his friends have one, and there is one in his class. The kids all love him. It just adds a bit more ‘magic’ to the Christmas spirit to actually be able to ‘see’ something. It’s exciting for them to see something unlike never being able to see Santa in the wee hours on Christmas morning. I at 1st didn’t want to get one because I too am busy as well and thought its just another thing to add to the growing list of things to do, but looking around online I saw how simple it was, and how simple it was for my grandparents. Why not get them to behave a little better this time of year? we bribe them year round with things much worse than this, but it doesn’t get frowned upon like this. I like it, i love to see my kids eyes light up to see where he is in the morning. Ours is not a trouble maker. Every once in a while it might “zipline” just like the kid in Home Alone did that night before. But i certainly don’t frown upon someone who choses not to do it, as long as its not destroying a childs wonder as to why all their friends have one but they don’t? Most people follow the commercial trends with everything else, why not the Elf for your kids? Do you carry a Coach purse now that its the ‘Thing to have’? how about those ugly ankle boots that somehow got popluar? All around us is something trendy and we all someow become a part of it. I’d rather take 2 minutes a night for my kids than spend 5 meaningless minutes on my iphone or ipad. This they will remember. Reguardless, Elf or not, lets just be NICE! Several people are just being nasty. Santa would be very disappointed ;)

32. by brandi

On December 5, 2012 at 11:19 am

Who cares what you think, if you dont want to then dont do it. As for me, I think it is cute and fun, my kids wake up excited to see what the elf has got himself into each day. It is just for fun, geesh, get a life really!

33. by Greta

On December 5, 2012 at 12:38 pm

We do not do an “Elf on the Shelf.” Instead, we use two different Advent calendars to count down the days until Christmas. One calendar contains a different activity or treat for the day (i.e. cookie-baking, holiday parade, Santa visit, etc.) The other calendar includes a daily bible reading and craft or a “random act of kindness.” We “do” Santa in our house, but use him more as a symbol of goodness and generosity who, as St. Nicholas, was devoted to doing God’s will by helping those in need of cheer.

34. by Kim

On December 5, 2012 at 1:22 pm

I am with you! NO desire to Elf on a Shelf! As a teacher of Kinders and First Graders, there are a lot of them who are coming in with the crazy antics of their Elf. What I have also seen is children who are full of stress and anxiety at being “watched” by this Elf. In many cases it backfires and is just too much stress for young children. Needless to say, my daughter, who is 2 at the moment, will not be seeing this little Elf unless the message is VERY different, i.e. NOT a secret spy for Santa….

35. by jenna

On December 5, 2012 at 5:41 pm

Someone sent my 5 year old one and I immediately made up my mind that the thing needed to go. My son has autism, he may have issues distinguishing reality from fantasy, so I’m not going to encourage believing a fantasy is real. So glad to know I’m not the only one who thinks the elf is creepy…

36. by Melissa

On December 12, 2012 at 1:57 am

We have an only who is 3 years old. Her cousins have had an elf for a few years and we got one last year (she didn’t move around much, but our little one did notice her a lot and love having the book read to her). We absolutely love our elf. The entire concept of what they are for seems to have been lost on the writer of this article. With all the hustle and bustle of the holidays, and the vast commercialization of it all, the true magic of Christmas has been lost or depleted in many people. If you don’t believe me just look around and some days within. It doesn’t take much to do, and if you forget to move, it’s pretty simple, that spot your elf just happened to really like. They do occasionally find favorite spots. (the web page is a great resource for info like that, as well as FB groups with parent’s sharing pictures, ideas and how their children react to their elf. The elf’s are reminders to kids not only to behave, but that it is a season of giving and joy. We have used our elf to bring notes of praise and request for areas of growth, and to bring an early gift when the little one was sick. She also brings soo much joy as our little one goes in search of her every morning. You wouldn’t believe the number of times that wild giggles ensue after the spotting of the elf. Be it in the Christmas Tree, in the freezer, on the milk jug (that was turned green to be more festive), in the doll house, just lying around somewhere or having a snowball (miniature marshmallow) fight with the toys. The joy that elf can bring is contagious, and well worth one to five minutes of thought and time for placement. I grew up with parents who never let me believe in Santa. Even as a young child I knew I was missing out on something very special and magical, and I will do everything in my power to make my daughter’s experiences of Christmas magical and hopefully keep her believing for many years to come. To the little one’s not in school yet, Santa may seem like an abstract figure, but when you have an elf (and his book to read) you are reminded of the magic of the season. This article I find infuriating. I was searching to find a list of the most common names and for some reason “this” popped up! Be a big girl, no one is telling you that YOU HAVE TO GET AN ELF!!! If you don’t understand what the fuss is all about, look at one of the FB groups, see the responses and pictures, if it’s not for you and your family, that’s OK. But don’t criticize it without understanding what it is, and what it can give. It really doesn’t take that much time to place. And you don’t’ have to have your elf get into any mischief or do anything funny, you can simply find a new place for it each night and be done with it.

37. by ruth

On December 12, 2012 at 8:21 am

I remember having the original “elf on a shelf” on our Christmas tree back in the 1960′s and 1970′s. I didn’t remember the story behind them, but when my kids were little, I found the same “Elf on a shelf” from my childhood at Bronner’s Christmas Wonderland in Frankenmuth, MI and he’s sat on my tree for years also. He’s a cutey!

38. by Jim Christmas

On December 20, 2012 at 3:54 am

Do you not celebrate Christmas? Or are your kids teenagers?

Personally I think the Elf is a BRILLIANT idea for many reasons…

Here are a few…

1. my 2 & 4 year olds wake up every morning excited to see where their elf has moved to.
    2. I found my 4 year old daughter confiding in the elf one morning (she thought she was alone), telling the elf that she’s “going to be a good girl today” and that “she didn’t mean to yell at her brother yesterday”
    3. As someone else mentioned, Santa has always had elves so this really is nothing new. This increases the excitement for my young children and seeing them so happy & pumped for Christmas is priceless

Our elf has arrived on Black Friday for the past 3 years and the kids look forward to it now. This absolutely enhances the whole Christmas experience for the younger kids and will create memories that’ll last forever…

I’m just a level headed Dad from South Boston with a good grasp on family values and how to raise kids…

I say “BAH HUMBUG” to the writer! You don’t want an Elf on the Shelf…BUT YOUR KIDS PROBABLY DO!

Nothing better to do I see-

JC

39. by Cheap Small Freezers

On February 25, 2013 at 5:35 am

hello there and thank you for your info – I’ve certainly picked up anything new from right here. I did however expertise some technical issues using this site, as I experienced to reload the web site many times previous to I could get it to load correctly. I had been wondering if your web host is OK? Not that I am complaining, but sluggish loading instances times will often affect your placement in google and could damage your quality score if ads and marketing with Adwords. Anyway I’m adding this RSS to my email and can look out for much more of your respective interesting content. Ensure that you update this again soon..