Vote on Barbie!

In the August issue of Parents (on newsstands next week), we asked readers to weigh in on the new Barbie I Can Be…President doll. It’s great that Barbie is tossing her hat in the ring to be the only “female candidate” in this year’s presidential election–and inspiring young girls to set their sights on the White House. But we’re not so sure about the pink-a-licious outfit. What do you think: Is it a wardrobe malfunction or the signature Barbie look that girls know and love? Cast your vote in the comments section below!

1. by Lauren M

On July 7, 2012 at 9:27 am

I just read the book “The Good, the Bad, and the Barbie: A Doll’s History and Her Impact on Us.” I’m not all that interested in Barbie in general, but it was an interesting read because it addresses the issues of gender stereotypes and the doll’s evolution. This doll is no surprise and the pink is Barbie’s signature color. However, I would like to see a different hair style–different color, length, texture. This doll reminds me of Sarah Palin and I’d rather see a doll that reminds me of Hillary Clinton.

2. by Sally Tippett

On July 10, 2012 at 2:52 am

Come home Sindy, we miss you!

3. by Judi

On July 10, 2012 at 9:23 am

I love that this Barbie shows that a woman can be beautiful and smart. She doesn’t have to dress and look like a man in order to be president. However, in reality do I think someone that looks like this would ever be taken seriously in the political arena? Doubtful, but this Barbie might give a few of our daughters the desire to try.

4. by Kim

On July 10, 2012 at 10:02 am

I went to the website to see what the other I Can be dolls look like. They all have on the Barbie pink, which is Barbie’s color. At least the pink in this outfit has red, white, and blue. And, the doll does come in other skin tones and hair colors. There’s a brunette and a red head too. I just sent a link to my husband-maybe we’ll get one for our daughters.

5. by Lilly

On July 10, 2012 at 11:07 am

I like it. There have always been barbie’s with different careers. I Rememeber playing with an airplane pilot Barbie when I was younger. I think it’s great that they have a presidential candidate for Barbie. The color pink is great. What young child is going to play with a Barbie in long brown slacks that don’t sparkle? I love the idea and I don’t at all mind the wardrobe.

6. by Gabrielle

On July 12, 2012 at 10:16 am

Using the pink is very Barbie, but it also ties into all the stereotypes of pink being a “girl color”. Limiting our girls to only pink, and denying pink to boys, is part of how we are pushing our kids into narrow gender roles, instead of allowing them to be themselves, however they choose to be. I wish President Barbie was dressed in red, white, and blue. Then again, I never liked Barbie as a kid, I still don’t, and I don’t buy them for my daughter. She has a Go! Go! Sports Girl doll, instead.

7. by Gabriel

On July 17, 2012 at 10:17 pm

Looks like a “trophy wife” more then a presidential candidate. I wonder how much her haircut and style costs. Surely more then $600 which the once presidential candidate John Edwards was harassed for. Not to mention the easy attack plan from her opponents on how she should spend more time on learning the facts then she does on her hair.
    Aside from a real world viability of this Barbie as a presidential candidate I fail to see how the doll represents running for office. This could be an outfit for Teacher Barbie or Breast Cancer Research Supporter Barbie there’s nothing her aside the label on the box that says she’s running for office.

8. by Jan

On July 21, 2012 at 1:29 am

I like the idea. Im personally not a fan of pink, but if Barbie feels confident running for office in pink who am I to judge?

@Gabrielle
    Ironic… Don’t you feel you are pushing your own opinions on gender and “boy” vs “girl” colors on your daughter by buying her non Barbie dolls and impressing your dislike for Barbie because she is classified by society as a “girls-girl” toy?