Got a Food Question? Ask Chef Britt Kurent!

Britt Kurent

True story: The other night I was on the phone with a friend at 11 p.m. when she had to put me on hold to answer the door. Her late night visitor? A deliveryman dropping off cookies for a bake sale at her child’s school the next day.

My friend is a busy working mom and didn’t have time to bake something herself (and is lucky enough to live in a city that delivers any type of food at any time of day). But what if there was no magical late-night deliveryman? What could she have whipped up with little effort in such a short period of time?

It’s a perfect question for Chef Britt Kurent. Trained at The Institute of Culinary Education, Kurent¬†is founder and owner of Kurent Events, a catering company in New York City. She and her team cater everything from backyard BBQs to sophisticated weddings. Kurent was even a contestant on the hit Bravo show, Rocco’s Dinner Party.

And now she’s ready to help you! Kurent wants to answer your questions about food, cooking, and party planning. Hosting a party for kids and adults and clueless on what to serve to make everyone happy? Dying to learn how to stop burning every batch of cookies you make? Got an upcoming bake sale? Kurent has tips and suggestions for all of these questions and more.

Leave a question for Kurent in the comments section!

1. by katie

On October 6, 2011 at 10:05 pm

Dairy, egg, and nut free diet my 2yr old is allergic and I made a noodle salad with egg free version of miracle whip and she did not like it any time we give her say like grilled cheese with dairy free cheese she wont eat. I have found some meals bake from scratch but need some quick meal ideas toowith a busy days

2. by Ruth

On October 6, 2011 at 10:24 pm

Hi,
    I’m on the Dukan diet, so no fats, no carbs, no fruit. I get to have protein, Fat Free Milk products and vegetables. My favorite dinner dish is either chicken sausage or lean ground beef in a homemade sauce of tomato, garlic onion and mushrooms. It’s getting pretty boring though. Any ideas on how to spice it up and still stay in my diet parameters?

3. by Truc

On October 6, 2011 at 10:25 pm

My 2 yr old daughter is allergic to eggs and it’s so hard to think of something new for breakfast to give her that doesn’t contain eggs. She has the same old cereal with fruit or oatmeal with fruit (or sometimes dinner leftovers). What other new and healthy breakfast ideas do you have for an egg allergy toddler?

4. by Laura Vivoni (@mantybat)

On October 6, 2011 at 10:48 pm

I am going to be hosting a Halloween party for my kids this Oct 29. I wanted to make a chocolate cupcake with a gooey center to resemble some blood in the middle or something gross but yummy. Any ideas about what I can bake in the middle of the cupcake to make it be a surprise? It doesn’t have to resemble blood, it could be anything really. Any ideas would be great!

5. by alicia luna

On October 6, 2011 at 10:53 pm

after a chicken has been defosted once in the fridge defrosted how long is it good for 2 days? my husband is very picky and says it goes bad the 3rd day. I always have to cook it the same day its defrosted or else my husband wont eat it , he says he will get poisoned. Is he right or is he just being a big baby, Help !!

6. by kt

On October 6, 2011 at 10:55 pm

Hi truc just read your comment and my daughter is also allergic to eggs and if your grocery store has an organic section they have pancake mix without eggs and there’s also alot recipes online for baking without eggs and milk I made the chocolate chip cookies and they were pretty good

7. by John Owens

On October 6, 2011 at 11:58 pm

what is the best healthy dinner meal dish with steak that would not be greasy and actually be good for ya beside the red meat? lol better with salmon i know but im trying to find a steak healthy dinner dish. thank you CHEF Britt Kurent… John Owens… :)

8. by Rick Paul

On October 7, 2011 at 8:46 am

Hi Britt,
    I want to try and make Cornish pasties or caribbean meat pies.I’m not a baker but want to make the pastry from scratch. How do I make it so it won’t break apart or stick to my hands?

9. by Heather

On October 7, 2011 at 9:16 am

Hi, Britt, I LOVE your website! And i understand you give kids wonderful cooking lessons. I want my daughter and son to love cooking too when they grow older…whats the main message you give a young person that cooking is fun and important? Whats the ONE dish you would start them off on?

10. by Stanley

On October 7, 2011 at 9:22 am

Hi, Britt,
    I am staying with your Mom and I want to cook something for her in YOUR kitchen –what is your favorite MOM recipe? Take care, your new friend, Stanley

11. by Ellen

On October 7, 2011 at 11:00 am

I am having 25 people for Thanksgiving and I have some turkey questions? How much turkey do I need, noting that we love leftovers? Shall I make two smaller turkeys rather than one big one?

12. by Jade

On October 7, 2011 at 11:01 am

I’d like to host my first dinner party, but I’m usually a one-pot meal kind of girl. Do I really need both an appetizer and a main course (I’ll definitely do dessert)? Can I get away with cheese and crackers instead of a cooked appetizer?

13. by luciana coutchie

On October 7, 2011 at 11:17 am

Chef Britty,

I have a grandson who will be turning 7, can you give me some idea on what I can serve at his birthday party – 15 children attending…thanks!

14. by Chessie

On October 7, 2011 at 11:22 am

Chef Britt,

I’m in California and I want to take advantage of the wonderful fresh veggies and fish available here. Do you have a recipe where I can combine the two? Thank you!

15. by Karina Spillman

On October 7, 2011 at 1:00 pm

Hi Chef Britt,

I’m hosting a party for my two year old and it’s a breakfast time event. Any cute ideas for adult and kids breakfast/brunch type food that’s not the typical bagels and cream cheese??

16. by Kim Roberts

On October 7, 2011 at 7:34 pm

What’s the best way to feed 70,000 protesters in Madison, WI on a cold, fall day?

17. by Sue Schoenrock

On October 7, 2011 at 8:38 pm

Dear Britt,

We are having a dinner party for people with young children. We would like to feed the children first, and then later have a sophisticated adult dinner. Can you suggest a menu that will be simple for the children that we can jazz up for the adults? I would like to use similar ingredients and prep, if possible.

Thank you!