Adding Your Unborn Baby on Facebook

FacebookMany moms love using Facebook to keep faraway friends and family members up-to-date on their children. Statuses such as “Johnny is getting his first tooth!” and “Susie took her first steps today!” are common in many news feeds. But what if, while scrolling through your Facebook friends’ updates, you read “[Friend] is expecting a child?”

Thanks to Facebook’s newest feature, it will probably only be a matter of time before you will. Expectant parents can now add their unborn child to the list of their relationships on their profile. Parents-to-be can choose to include the name, due date and even an ultrasound picture of their unborn child.

Adding your unborn baby to your relationships on Facebook isn’t all that different than posting a status that you’re expecting, except a status is fleeting. Old statuses are quickly hidden below the “Older Posts” link on your profile as you write new updates. With Facebook’s new feature, your unborn baby is always prominently displayed on your profile.

1. by adrienne

On August 2, 2011 at 5:23 pm

Facebook- adding new levels of awkwardness to human interaction since 2004.

2. by Corissa Marie

On August 2, 2011 at 8:46 pm

I already did do this. Nothing new. But I think it’s sooo kool!!! Were so excited to be having a baby boy in December. =]

3. by Missy

On August 2, 2011 at 8:52 pm

I love this. I hate it when one of my sorority sisters talks about their pregnancy and I realize I missed the announcement.

4. by Melissa

On August 2, 2011 at 8:55 pm

This is awful. As if it isn’t hard enough for people struggling with infertility to get on facebook and see baby announcements, now it’ll suck more. awesome. Byebye facebook account.

5. by Tiffany

On August 2, 2011 at 9:17 pm

I like the idea. I’m only friends with close friends and family, so I like to see stuff like this from them…and I’m not sure why this would upset someone who struggles with infertility, it’s no different then someone typing out the Facebook announcement.

6. by Pookie

On August 2, 2011 at 9:18 pm

I don’t know how I feel about this. The people I’d really want to know would get an inbox and then I wouldn’t really care much about the rest if they saw or not. But I’m not ever going to do that. I hated seeing EVERY LAST UPDATE about pregnancies and WAY too much info from my friends. Hey, you’re knocked up. CONGRATS! But really? Do I need to know every last kick and craving??

7. by Lauren

On August 2, 2011 at 9:23 pm

@adrienne – made me crack up laughing! hahaha
    I love using FB and other social networking for keeping up with family and friends….but I also think we (myself included) spend waaaay too much time stuck in facebook world and forget about the actual reality we live in.

8. by Jackie

On August 2, 2011 at 9:54 pm

As someone who has moved to a different country and left all my family and friends I find facebook very useful.
    If you don’t want to receive notifications and updates from certain people you can block them from your newsfeed.
    This feature isn’t “awful”. People experiencing infertility are misplacing their anger if they get angry or annoyed upon viewing these types of announcements. Fault is not with people who are pregnant or have children.
    People should be able to express their excitement and happiness.

9. by Amanda

On August 3, 2011 at 9:42 am

I love it! I wouldn’t do it until I was into the 2nd trimester and knew the baby and I were healthy though.

10. by Kayla

On August 8, 2011 at 8:08 pm

I love how you worded that Amanda” Misplacing their anger…Fault is NOT w/ people who are pregnant or have children” That just seems ridiculous to get angry at someone because they have something you cant have. God will bless you in other ways if you just stay POSITIVE. And yes to agree with another post…you can block anyone you want from your newsfeed…if it really upsets you that bad then block them. Otherwise..I love this new feature! Im 36wk/3days pregnant with my second! baby girl this time!! <3

11. by Zoey

On August 24, 2011 at 5:49 pm

Another tool to keep out of town friends and relatives up to date on your life.

Influence your Baby’s Gender

12. by Consumer Complaints

On September 9, 2011 at 3:47 am

Hello.This article was really remarkable, particularly because I was looking for thoughts on this topic last couple of days.

13. by rinoplastica

On September 20, 2011 at 8:31 am

Yes, it would be good to hear from the likes of Dick Eardley. I can still remember him on KBOI TV 2 doing the news, I was just a child. Better make it a point to contact these older folks soon before they pass on and take with them so many memories and perspectives.

14. by Bialko

On November 16, 2011 at 3:37 am

Perfect work you have done, this web site is really cool with good info .