What If Children Couldn’t Get the Services They Need?

In watching the coverage last night of the debt ceiling, I bristled at a line in Speaker Boehner’s response to President Obama’s remarks: “If you’re spending more money than you’re taking in, you need to spend less of it.” Of course. Makes perfect sense. Except that in this context, “spend less of it” may mean cutting crucial programs and services for families, particularly those whose children have disabilities.

I thought of our friends at Easter Seals, the nonprofit health agency dedicated to helping children and adults with disabilities. Some of the staff visited the White House a few weeks back, and they brought a few of the families they’ve worked with. Their goal: to show the administration just how vital it is to invest in Medicaid, which provides health insurance to those with limited income. Medicaid funding is in danger of being severely slashed, and this would mean that millions of children may not receive the services they need to learn, grow, and thrive.

As Easter Seals President and CEO Jim Williams explained on the Easter Seals blog:

Medicaid allows kids with disabilities to be healthy, happy and independent. A girl needs physical therapy to help stave off the retraction of muscles that often accompanies cerebral palsy. It’s not unusual for a child with cerebral palsy to need physical therapy every week. However, too many private health insurance plans have arbitrary limits on physical therapy services, such as limiting a child to 12 sessions per year. After the 12 visits have been exhausted, families will realize that paying out of pocket to continue therapy is something that they simply cannot afford.

Medicaid allows parents of kids with disabilities to work. Yesterday, our families confirmed that as a result of the gains their children have made because of services paid for by Medicaid, parents can work outside the home for pay.

Medicaid is the only health insurance plan that has the comprehensive benefits that meets the needs of each child with a disability. Children with disabilities need access to the specific services currently available under Medicaid. The basic structure of Medicaid must be maintained.

Finally, Medicaid has already been cut and children with disabilities will be harmed by additional cuts to benefits or provider reimbursement rates. States have already cut Medicaid spending, by eliminating benefits and cutting reimbursement to providers. In many communities, the reimbursement rate is so far below the actual cost of a service making it extremely difficult for providers to continue to serve Medicaid enrolled children.

This whole debt ceiling discussion has left me feeling uneasy–helpless, even. But there is something we can all do. Make your voice heard and sign Easter Seals’ petition to Congress urging them not to cut funding for early intervention services. Click here to do it now.

1. by Jeanne S.

On July 26, 2011 at 1:24 pm

Kara–you are so right. These budget cuts have consequences, short term and long term. Legislators are only looking at numbers; they need to look at what’s behind the numbers…people with real needs.

2. by Edris Paonessa

On August 22, 2011 at 9:46 pm

I was suggested this web site by means of my cousin. I am no longer positive whether this post is written by way of him as nobody else know such precise approximately my problem. You are amazing! Thanks!

3. by H miracle review

On September 16, 2011 at 5:50 pm

Question, where did you get the brown frame for the changing pad that it sits in? We have a dresser like yours but right now the changing pad just sits on top and it seems dangerous. I love what you did.thanks!

4. by www.warrantyfeed.com: Betting Play

On November 15, 2011 at 3:33 pm

Great blog! Do you have any hints for aspiring writers? I’m planning to start my own blog soon but I’m a little lost on everything. Would you propose starting with a free platform like WordPress or go for a paid option? There are so many options out there that I’m totally overwhelmed .. Any suggestions? Cheers!

5. by Apartament Warszawa

On November 30, 2011 at 7:24 am

I am glad for writing to let you be aware of what a great experience my wife’s girl developed reading through your web site. She noticed a wide variety of issues, most notably what it is like to possess a marvelous teaching mood to have a number of people completely know just exactly selected advanced matters. You actually exceeded my expected results. Many thanks for showing these helpful, dependable, educational and unique tips on the topic to Julie.

6. by Janna Barlup

On November 30, 2011 at 11:00 pm

This is a great news regarding bloggers. It opens admittance to a broad spectrum of those people who are finding a purpose to speech their fears. With an individual’s theme, I can gain that visibility My business is having at this moment. Thanks for this purpose informative publish, I learned a great deal!

7. by Rich Maltais

On January 5, 2012 at 9:34 am

Great ? I should certainly pronounce, impressed with your web site. I had no trouble navigating through all the tabs and related information ended up being truly simple to do to access. I recently found what I hoped for before you know it at all. Reasonably unusual. Is likely to appreciate it for those who add forums or anything, site theme . a tones way for your customer to communicate. Nice task..

8. by gambling

On January 11, 2012 at 11:56 pm

Wonderful site. A lot of useful information here. I am sending it to some friends ans also sharing in delicious. And naturally, thanks for your sweat!