Pregnant Belly Art: Moms-to-Be Hire Professional Artists

pregnant belly art, painted belly, pregnancy, watermelon bellyLots of moms-to-be experiment with belly art during pregnancy whether they incorporate their bump into a Halloween costume or paint their belly to create a fun photo. But now more and more moms-to-be are taking pregnant belly art to the next level – hiring professional artists to create painted bellies that are even more wild, wacky, and to some, beautiful.

We’re all for embracing your pregnancy and showing off your bump, but is paying a pro going too far? NY Daily News reports that expectant moms are paying around $250 to be painted with FDA-approved theater makeup, a process that can take up to three hours. And professional belly painters (yes, they do exist!) say they’re getting busier and busier.

Mariah Carey may have had something to do with the booming belly art trend. She showed off painted bumps via Twitter twice earlier this year – once as an Easter egg and once as a half pink, half blue butterfly in honor of her twins-to-be, now Monroe and Moroccan Scott. We don’t know how much Carey paid for her belly artistry, if anything at all, yet we do know her budget for such things is larger than that of the average mom-to-be.

As a parent or expectant mom, do you think professional belly painting is a frivolous or irresponsible way to spend a few hundred dollars?

Did you paint your bump? Share your best shot in our pregnant belly art photo gallery.

1. by em

On July 20, 2011 at 8:48 pm

I hope they didn’t pay the artist $250 that did that watermelon… lol

2. by Cara

On July 20, 2011 at 8:59 pm

Mariah Carey did NOT start this. Belly painting has been around for YEARSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

3. by Jenni

On July 20, 2011 at 10:42 pm

I am a professional face and body painter. I have only had the honor of painting a few pregnant bellies, my own included. Yes, I painted my own. *giggle* I also am blessed enough to have friends in the same business and was painted by my friend and fellow artist, Anna Wilinski. Not only was it fun and relaxing, the end result was AMAZING!! MUCH, MUCH better than anything I painted on myself. It’s really hard to paint your own belly. IF you decide to get your belly painted, please make sure the artist is using professional face paint, NOT ACRYLIC or POSTER PAINT!!! Henna is also a safe and beautiful art to decorate your belly with. If you have to have a protustion…DECORATE IT! :)

4. by Jenni

On July 20, 2011 at 10:43 pm

That last word should have been PROTRUSION! LOL!

5. by Teri

On July 21, 2011 at 2:42 am

what an absolutely stupid idea!

6. by Paint Me!

On July 21, 2011 at 11:58 am

I have seen amazing belly art that is worth that cost and more. It’s such a neat experience for the mom-to-be. It’s unfortunate that this article didn’t use such photos rather than the horrible watermelon!

7. by Ess Dubb

On July 21, 2011 at 12:53 pm

I was the one that painted that watermelon belly (and took the photo) and I didn’t charge a penny. I know it looks homemade; because it was!

Done with love for my then-pregnant and always beautiful daughter.

Thank you Nicole, for giving me 3 beautiful grandchildren to cherish.

8. by rent

On September 8, 2011 at 8:02 am

Icertainly understand what you’re referring to,this blog is simply excellent .

9. by Gabrielle Sutcliff

On November 8, 2011 at 4:24 pm

Have you ever considered about including a little bit more than just your articles? I mean, what you say is valuable and all. However think about if you added some great visuals or videos to give your posts more, “pop”! Your content is excellent but with pics and videos, this site could certainly be one of the greatest in its field. Very good blog!