Could You Save This Baby’s Life?

kate2lr[1]

Ten-month-old Kate Boggan has congenital amegakaryocytic thrombocytopenia, a rare type of bone marrow failure in which her bone marrow doesn’t produce platelets, which are essential for blood-clotting. Her parents, Lindsey and Alex, had struggled with infertility for years, and they were finally blessed with this beautiful baby girl. Leukemia and other bone marrow failures like Kate’s are one of the leading causes of death in children, but they can be successfully treated with a bone-marrow transplant. The Boggans are working with DKMS, the world’s largest bone marrow donor center, to find a match for Kate. Read Lindsey’s blog here. To become a potential donor, you first register online and then swab your cheek with a mail-in kit; your cheek cells will be tested for their DNA tissue type and added anonymously to the National Bone Marrow Registry. You will be contacted if you are a match for Kate or any other patient. Donation is not as difficult as people think; most donations are now done by a technique called peripheral blood stem cell donation (similar to donating blood), rather than a bone marrow donation (in which marrow is extracted from the pelvic bone under anesthesia).

Cord blood transplant from an anonymous donor is another option for many children with serious blood diseases. Read the article in our August issue, “The Gift of Life,” about a boy whose life was saved by a cord blood transplant through a public bank.

photo via

Tags: | Categories: Health & Safety

1. [...] Could you save this baby’s life? (Parents.com) [...]

2. by arginine

On August 25, 2011 at 12:16 pm

I should check with you here, which is not one thing I often do! I get pleasure from studying a post that will make people think. Also, thanks for permitting me to remark!

3. by Ruben Decenzo

On November 9, 2011 at 11:12 am

I am not really great with English but I line up this really easygoing to understand .

4. by ps3 media server

On November 10, 2011 at 5:54 am

Obtaining the best Immigration Solicitor… [...]below you will discover the link to some sites that we feel you ought to visit[...]…

5. by Juana Provance

On November 14, 2011 at 9:48 pm

I am not sure where you’re getting your information, but good topic. I needs to spend some time learning much more or understanding more. Thanks for magnificent info I was looking for this information for my mission.

6. by chinese tablets

On December 13, 2011 at 11:51 am

Looking for the best performance android tablet shipped from the USA?

7. by Walker Monsky

On December 20, 2011 at 12:01 pm

Apple now has Rhapsody as an app, that is an incredible get started, but it can be at the moment hampered because of the inability to retailer locally in your iPod, and incorporates a dismal 64kbps little bit price. If this modifications, then it can somewhat negate this advantage for the Zune, but the 10 songs every calendar month will however be considered a huge plus in Zune Cross’ favor.

8. by Joe Vandebrake

On December 20, 2011 at 1:52 pm

I will gear this review to a couple of kinds of folks: present-day Zune entrepreneurs who’re taking into consideration an upgrade, and people attempting to choose involving a Zune and an iPod. (You’ll find other gamers well worth contemplating available, much like the Sony Walkman X, but I hope this gives you sufficient info to produce an informed selection with the Zune vs gamers other than the iPod line at the same time.)

9. by Boris Ivie

On December 25, 2011 at 5:16 pm

I not to mention my guys have been looking at the best thoughts from the blog and then instantly I got a horrible feeling I had not expressed respect to the blog owner for those strategies. The young boys were absolutely joyful to learn them and already have simply been using them. I appreciate you for being really thoughtful as well as for getting this form of awesome subject areas millions of individuals are really eager to be informed on. My personal sincere apologies for not expressing appreciation to earlier.