New Study: Two Types of Fathers in America

A new study released by the Pew Research Center have found there are two dominant types of fathers in America: fathers who are actively involved in family life vs. fathers who are not because they live apart from the kids.

According to CNN.com, the Pew study found that today’s fathers are more active in their kids’ lives than 50 years ago, but fathers who live outside the household have also more than doubled since the 60s.  Those who live with their families are more in tune with their kids, with 93% talking to their kids a few times a week, over 50% transporting their kids to activities, and 9 out of 10 eating a few weekly meals together.

Education, income, and race are still factors that determine fatherhood – white fathers with higher education and incomes usually lived with their familes.  Only 21% lived apart.  Even though 44% of African-American fathers lived apart from the family, they were still the most active group of fathers who lived outside.

Another Pew survey revealed that 69% of the survey takers believe fathers living in the house contribute to a child’s happiness.  Not surprisingly, it’s important for fathers to be actively involved with their families, no matter if they’re living inside the house or not.

1. by Nick Shell

On June 17, 2011 at 4:24 pm

Thank you for sharing. This is valuable information and I will definitely be hyper-linking it into my next post on The Dadabase. This verifies what I already had a feeling about: It really is true that dads are more involved and active than they used to be. Good news!

2. by Daddy by Default

On June 18, 2011 at 8:15 am

Is this a serious study? There are two types of dads, those present and those not present? Good to know we still can’t be in two places at one time. Also fathers who live at home and fathers who live outside the home have increased over the last 50 years? Well, since population has increased over 50 years, it makes sense doesn’t it.
    Education, income and race determine fatherhood patterns? Thanks for a useless study Pew and Parents.com. Genius. (read sarcasm).

3. by Phil

On June 18, 2011 at 9:18 am

There are billions of different types of dads, some of which haven’t even been defined yet.

When defining “fatherhood,” however, I would just remove the completely non-existent deadbeats from the list. They aren’t fathers, or dads or parents at all. They are simply sperm donors.

4. by Robert Guialdo

On November 9, 2011 at 2:03 pm

hey there and thank you for your info ? I’ve definitely picked up anything new from right here. I did however expertise several technical issues using this site, as I experienced to reload the web site many times previous to I could get it to load correctly. I had been wondering if your hosting is OK? Not that I am complaining, but sluggish loading instances times will very frequently affect your placement in google and can damage your high-quality score if advertising and marketing with Adwords. Well I’m adding this RSS to my email and can look out for a lot more of your respective intriguing content. Ensure that you update this again very soon.

5. by About Casino Betting

On November 15, 2011 at 12:14 pm

It’s the best time to make some plans for the future and it’s time to be happy. I have read this post and if I could I want to suggest you few interesting things or advice. Perhaps you could write next articles referring to this article. I desire to read even more things about it!

6. by Moto Auta

On November 15, 2011 at 4:44 pm

You made some clear points there. I looked on the internet for the topic and found most guys will agree with your website.

7. by Cheryll Maheu

On December 3, 2011 at 4:09 am

I would like to express my appreciation to this writer just for bailing me out of this matter. Because of searching throughout the world-wide-web and obtaining basics that were not pleasant, I believed my entire life was gone. Being alive without the strategies to the difficulties you have sorted out all through your entire write-up is a critical case, and the kind that might have badly affected my entire career if I hadn’t discovered the website. Your expertise and kindness in controlling a lot of things was tremendous. I don’t know what I would’ve done if I hadn’t come across such a thing like this. I’m able to now look ahead to my future. Thanks a lot very much for this high quality and amazing guide. I will not think twice to suggest your web sites to anybody who wants and needs guide on this subject.

8. [...] fact, I was pleasantly unsurprised to read today in another blog here on Parents.com about a recent poll showing that, compared to 50 years ago, fathers are indeed [...]