Over-the-Counter Infant Medicine with Acetaminophen Will No Longer Be Produced

Consumer Healthcare Products AssociationStarting as early as June, over-the-counter drug manufacturers will no longer produce acetaminophen in concentrated liquid drops for infants.  Acetaminophen, a common ingredient in various OTC medications for children, is included to reduce symptoms of pain and fever.

The Consumer Healthcare Products Association (CHPA), a non-for-profit group that represents OTC drug manufacturers, decided on this step to reduce dosing errors and prevent accidental poisonings in infants.  Currently, liquid acetaminophen is sold in two concentrations: 80 mg/0.8 mL or 80 mg/1.0 mL, with droppers for infants; 160 mg/5 mL, with cups for children ages 2-11.  The two different concentrations have often caused confusion, leading parents to give kids incorrect doses due to badly-marked droppers or cups.

Johnson & Johnson and other drug manufacturers will cease production of the 80 mg/0.8 mL and the 80 mg/1.0 mL concentrations through 2012.  Instead, 160 mg/5 mL will become the standard concentration for all ages, along with cups for older kids and new syringes with flow restrictors for infants, which will provide accurate dosing and reduce spills.  Most medications with acetaminophen do not have proper dosing instructions for kids under 2 years; instead, the labels instruct parents to contact pediatricians.  Tylenol, produced by Johnson & Johnson, will be working on a case to urge the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to include correct acetaminophen dosing information for children 6 months and up on labels.

For now, both concentrations will still be on shelves until CHPA can work with retailers to remove the infant concentrations.  Parents can keep acetominophen medications they already have or purchase them in stores, but read labels and dosing directions carefully.  Always consult a trusted pediatrician to clarify the concentration of your child’s dose, especially if you have any questions or concerns.

1. by deepa

On May 14, 2011 at 9:11 am

Thank u very much for u,r intimation.

2. by Kristi

On May 14, 2011 at 10:22 am

There are obviously too many stupid parents if this is truly necessary. Call your Doctor, it’s not that hard! Why take the risk?

3. by tech news

On May 22, 2011 at 9:42 am

Does your blog have a contact page? I’m having problems locating it but, I’d like to send you an email. I’ve got some recommendations for your blog you might be interested in hearing. Either way, great site and I look forward to seeing it expand over time.

4. by Zumba Video Game

On May 22, 2011 at 8:16 pm

Today, I went to the beachfront with my children. I found a sea shell and gave it to my 4 year old daughter and said “You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear.” She placed the shell to her ear and screamed. There was a hermit crab inside and it pinched her ear. She never wants to go back! LoL I know this is entirely off topic but I had to tell someone!

5. by Workouts for Ectomorphs

On May 27, 2011 at 8:33 am

Howdy! This post could not be written any better! Reading through this post reminds me of my good old room mate! He always kept chatting about this. I will forward this article to him. Fairly certain he will have a good read. Thank you for sharing!

6. by taylor lautner workout

On July 31, 2011 at 10:37 am

The very core of your writing while appearing enjoyable to start with, did not really work well with me after some time. Someplace within the paragraphs you were able to make me a believer unfortunately only for a short while. I still have a problem with your leaps in logic and one might do well to fill in all those gaps. In the event you actually can accomplish that, I could surely be fascinated.

7. by langlang33

On September 10, 2011 at 1:45 pm

and here we go: fantastic!

8. by Lucas Veater

On December 23, 2011 at 10:02 am

Hello there, You’ve done an excellent job. I will certainly digg it and personally recommend to my friends. I am confident they’ll be benefited from this site.

9. Super post! I never thought of it that way. I will be forwarding this to my friend. He loves this type of thing.

10. by kindle fire vs ipad

On December 25, 2011 at 2:23 am

Wow. I am glad i clicked on this site. I really discovered some interesting points I must keep in mind. Great post.

11. by backlinks

On December 27, 2011 at 1:23 pm

I will be subscribing to your feed. Interesting points were made here. Thanks for sharing.

12. by after school care wilmington de

On December 27, 2011 at 2:36 pm

13. by business credit for startups

On December 31, 2011 at 2:49 pm

Wow! Even though I certain this mess is out of my league. Its still very interesting.

14. by search and rescue

On January 10, 2012 at 8:41 pm

Very interesting blog. Im happy I checked it out….will follow.

15. by bilnyheder

On January 11, 2012 at 9:35 am

Maybe I should get more involved with this type of stuff.

16. by demonoid invite code

On January 20, 2012 at 10:08 pm

I will be subscribing to this feed. Interesting points were made here. Thanks for sharing.

17. by tomato soup recipe

On January 21, 2012 at 9:34 am

I received more than I bargained for with this post. Interesting topic. Will follow.

18. by download max payne 3

On January 21, 2012 at 5:21 pm

19. by Free Point android apps

On August 31, 2012 at 1:10 am

This is the right Over-the-Counter Infant Medicine with Acetaminophen Will No Longer Be Produced | GoodyBlog diary for anyone who wants to essay out out nearly this content. You attending so more its most debilitating to argue with you (not that I real would want…HaHa). You definitely put a new prolong on a substance thats been backhand active for life. Nice shove, only great!

20. by Mallory Kini

On April 12, 2013 at 10:53 am

Its like you study my intellect! You seem to be to be aware of a lot about this, like you wrote the e book in it or one thing. I assume that you choose to could do with some pics to drive the concept property slightly little bit, but rather than that, that is exceptional blog site. An awesome read. I’ll undoubtedly be spine.