Jennifer Griffin: Mom and News Reporter Who Covered Osama bin Laden’s Death

Jennifer Griffin, FOX News, Osama bin LadenThis past Sunday, Jennifer Griffin, a Pentagon Correspondent for FOX News, was at home in the D.C. area trying to tuck her 2-year-old son into bed, when a source called to announce bin Laden’s death.  Suddenly, from focusing on a child who was staying up past his bedtime, Griffin found herself focusing on confirming the death with multiple sources.  She called into FOX News to report on air and then from there, drove to the Pentagon to continue more reporting for the next 24 hours.  In addition to reporting on the war in the Middle East (she was there on 9/11) and national security issues, Griffin is also the mother of three young kids, two girls and one boy.

Read a first-hand account, shared with Parents.com, of how this extraordinary working mom was involved in a memorable moment in American history:

“I had just gotten home from a friend’s house with 2-year-old Luke, my youngest.  It was later than his bedtime, and I was scrambling to warm him a bottle and convince him to put on pajamas. I was at the stove when all of my phones started ringing. The messages on my Blackberry made it seem like [Libyan leader Muammar] Qaddafi had been killed. I put on the TV, gave Luke a bottle on the couch, and told him to be very quiet. That’s when I got a call saying that it was Osama bin Laden, but the source said I couldn’t go [on air] with [the news] unless I got a second confirmation.

“I started dialing like mad and I had three phone lines going at once. I finally got an e-mail from a top-level intelligence source with a one word answer to my question, sent at 10:25 pm on Sunday, May 1: We got him? Dead?  The response, sent at 10:47 pm, was: Yes…

“I went on air [over the phone] with Geraldo Rivera of FOX News. My fingers were shaking so badly; my thumbs couldn’t type ’Urgent’ on my Blackberry for a bureau-wide distribution of the news.

“Luke was still awake, so I bribed him with a lollipop to send him downstairs with a new babysitter who had arrived. I ran upstairs and woke up Greg, my husband.  Then, I grabbed some clothes, shoved them into a bag, and ran out the door to drive to the Pentagon. I ran a few red lights down Massachusetts Avenue, past the Vice President’s house, and parked at the Pentagon.  When I entered, the guards cheered: “We got him!”

“Never showering, I stayed there all night and kept reporting live until 7 pm the next day.  When I called home to check on the kids in the morning, my 10-year-old daughter Annalise answered and didn’t say “Hi, Mommy.”  Instead, she simply shouted, “Alleluia!”  We laughed.

“When I finally left the Pentagon, I looked out at the people milling around the 9/11 Memorial.  I remembered reporting on its opening three years ago. It was so calm. So somber. Even though it was a perfect spring day. I got overwhelmed with emotion and remembered exactly where I was in the Middle East on 9/11. Also, I thought back to when my family was in Jerusalem and Annalise was the same age as Luke.  Often, I had to run out the door to cover a suicide bombing or terrorist attack. This time, the tables were turned; the story was how we got the world’s number one terrorist.  Instead of my daughter, I had been trying to keep my son calm until I could race into work. There was a feeling of déjà vu.”

“Now I thought about how I would explain, when Luke was older, where we were when news was received about bin Laden. Even though I had to leave my girls at a moment’s notice many years before, they now understand why the work was important. Whenever I feel bad, I think of the moms and dads in the military who have to leave their kids routinely for one-year assignments. This helps me get some perspective.  The only other way to appease mother’s guilt is by telling myself, One day they will understand.

“This will make a great story when they are old enough — and today was one for the history books.”

1. by Fox Newser Moms - TVNewser

On May 7, 2011 at 12:36 pm

[...] and the other who is a mom, talks about the big news this week. Jennifer Griffin, a mother of two talked with Parenting magazine about how she juggled the Osama Bin Laden news and a tired toddler. “I had [...]

2. by fox » Blog Archive » Fox Newser Moms

On May 7, 2011 at 2:23 pm

[...] mom, and a other who is a mom, talks about a large news this week. Jennifer Griffin, a mom of dual talked with Parenting repository about how she juggled a Osama Bin Laden news and a sleepy toddler. “I had [...]

3. by Fox Newser Moms | fox

On May 7, 2011 at 3:33 pm

4. by credit report scam

On November 9, 2011 at 2:05 am

Just simply finding out about your article on my own completely new Straight talk Cellular phone , we desired to check whether it would let me remark or whether or not this was visiting myself try out a full computer to try this. Ill come back in the future to see if the idea worked well.

5. by meble

On November 16, 2011 at 2:12 am

Thank you, I’ve recently been looking for information about this topic for ages and yours is the best I have discovered till now. But, what about the conclusion? Are you sure about the source?

6. by Vicente Iffland

On November 18, 2011 at 3:57 am

I’m really loving the theme/design of your blog. Do you ever run into any internet browser compatibility problems? A number of my blog audience have complained about my blog not operating correctly in Explorer but looks great in Safari. Do you have any tips to help fix this problem?

7. by sears carpet cleaning specials

On November 18, 2011 at 9:11 pm

I simply could not depart your web site prior to suggesting that I extremely loved the standard info a person supply on your guests? Is going to be back incessantly to check out new posts

8. by sears carpet cleaning specials

On November 19, 2011 at 2:40 am

What i don’t realize is if truth be told how you are not actually much more neatly-favored than you might be now. You’re so intelligent. You understand therefore significantly in the case of this topic, produced me individually believe it from a lot of various angles. Its like men and women don’t seem to be involved unless it?s something to do with Girl gaga! Your individual stuffs nice. All the time handle it up!

9. by music downloads for free legally

On November 22, 2011 at 7:54 pm

I have read a few just right stuff here. Certainly value bookmarking for revisiting. I wonder how much attempt you set to create any such great informative web site.

10. by moda infantil, ropa bebes, tienda ropa bebes

On November 22, 2011 at 9:29 pm

Buenas, muy buen articulo, sigue escribiendo nuevos articulos porque desde ahora ya tienes un nuevo y atento suscriptor.

11. by Wynajem Pokoi Warszawa

On November 30, 2011 at 7:01 am

Well I sincerely liked reading it. This information procured by you is very constructive for correct planning.

12. by Free Club Pogo Pass

On January 12, 2012 at 2:40 pm

Thank you, I will try and check back more often. How often do you update your blog?

13. by baby jordans

On January 18, 2012 at 6:45 pm

Have you ever thought about including a little bit more than just your articles? I mean, what you say is important and everything. However think about if you added some great images or video clips to give your posts more, “pop”! Your content is excellent but with images and clips, this blog could certainly be one of the greatest in its field. Wonderful blog!

14. by Uslugi Informatyczne Gorzow

On January 20, 2012 at 6:13 pm

Hi there, just became aware of your blog through Google, and found that it’s truly informative. I am gonna watch out for brussels. I will be grateful if you continue this in future. Numerous people will be benefited from your writing. Cheers!

15. by Beatris Ralbovsky

On January 24, 2012 at 11:23 am

I really appreciate this post. I have been looking all over for this! Thank goodness I found it on Bing. You ve made my day! Thank you again! “That which does not kill us makes us stronger.” by Friedrich Nietzsche….

16. by Cheap deals

On January 27, 2013 at 12:28 pm

clearly discussed thumbs upward.

17. by salsa

On February 20, 2013 at 5:47 am

The content articles is generally very good : D. Very best wishes, several thanks