How To Spot Delays As Quickly As Possible

MFFC-White-Paper-CoverEach year, nearly 1.5 million children in the U.S. enter kindergarten with learning or health issues that have been missed.

I learned this staggering fact when speaking with experts from Easter Seals, which provides education, outreach, and advocacy to families affected by autism and other disabilities. It was startling to think of all of the children with unidentified challenges, and upsetting to know that with the right support, many of them could have caught up and entered school needing fewer services, or none at all. It’s a proven fact that early intervention is critical to strengthen a child’s intellectual abilities and communication and social skills.

This is why Easter Seals has created a new campaign called Make the First Five Count. Its goal is to guarantee that all children have access to early detection of possible delays and disabilities as well as access to services. A big part of the program’s success, of course, is based upon proper funding. Part C of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) offers all families the possibility of free or lower-cost early intervention services, but the program has never had enough money to accomplish this. Take a minute to sign this petition urging your representatives and senators to block cuts to funding Part C—and to push for increasing the money that goes toward these services.

And on a more immediate level, if you want your child evaluated for any kind of health or emotional issue, speak to your pediatrician right away. (Not even sure whether your child should be evaluated? Easter Seals has provided a very clear breakdown of potential red flags here.) If you don’t have access to a pediatrician or specialist, call Easter Seals directly at 800-221-6827. They will happily walk you through the process of getting help. In fact, they estimate that they field well over 2,000 such requests each month. They want to hear from you.

1. by Jeanne S.

On May 2, 2011 at 5:37 pm

Kara–thank you for getting the word out about this important issue.

2. by Julie S

On May 2, 2011 at 6:02 pm

Funding is critical for early intervention services so children can get the help they need to be successful before they reach school age. Thank you for your sharing this information.

3. by Anne S

On May 2, 2011 at 6:31 pm

What we do for our children in the first five years lasts a lifetime…thanks for sharing this information

4. by Bob

On May 2, 2011 at 7:21 pm

Great links.

We are currently trying to help a family whose autism went undiagnosed for 9 years. Family is so lost. Early intevention would have helped them tremendously.

5. by Lynn

On May 3, 2011 at 8:56 am

This is such critical information. Parents know their kids best. Learn the milestones and trust your gut feeling! My younger daughter had therapy starting when she was 10 months old. It lasted under a year and she is 100% on track and brilliant (she’s now 8!!!)

6. by Kara Corridan

On May 3, 2011 at 9:26 am

So great to hear this about your daughter, Lynn! Easter Seals is doing a wonderful thing, bringing this issue to light in such an important way.

7. by Matt M.

On May 3, 2011 at 12:09 pm

Kara –
    Thanks for the great post. Such an important issue.

8. by Peggy

On May 3, 2011 at 12:51 pm

Thanks for posting something so important to parents today…..This issue needs every young parents attention.

9. by spclndsmom

On May 3, 2011 at 11:05 pm

Thanks for sharing this info, I signed the petetion. My son was born with Down Syndrome and I would be lost without early intervention. I am a strong believer in the importance of the first 5yrs of life and how they can impact every aspect of becoming an adult. I was blessed to learn of my son’s disability at birth so he has been a part of early intervention all of his life. Let’s do as they say and “leave no child behind” and get these services to all in need, despite the severity of the disability. Thanks again!

10. by TV on PC Software

On September 21, 2011 at 8:15 am

I have been searching online for two hours for a transcript of the video of the lady reading to the Tucson School board meeting on May 10, 2011 from the ethnic studies text book. Is there a transcript out there, so I can print it and discuss it with people? Please find it and make the transcript available. Cynthia J Omaha

11. by Dione Drumm

On November 14, 2011 at 11:40 pm

I find the talk about How To Spot Delays As Quickly As Possible | GoodyBlog all a bit meaningless. Governments and central bankers round the world have done everything they can to preserve failed lending institutions, and lending that was imprudent from the onset. We will not have a proper self sustaining recovery without an end to deficit spending and lots of banking institutions going bust. I find discussion about mortgage finance and loans a bit meaningless. I also think the home costs have to reduce a lot even now. I mean why would you want to own a home in Spain or France? Isn’t it much cheaper to rent? Regards, Dione Drumm

12. by Bryan Mihara

On November 15, 2011 at 4:20 am

Hey there! I’m at work browsing your blog from my new iphone 3gs! Just wanted to say I love reading your blog and look forward to all your posts! Carry on the fantastic work!