FDA Warning: Beware of Teething Medication with Benzocaine

Teething babyThe ingredient (benzocaine), used in medications that soothe a baby’s teething pain, can cause a rare but serious condition known as methemoglobinemia.  Methemoglobinemia reduces oxygen in the bloodstream,  which can lead to death.

According to the FDA, which issued a warning in early April, the symptoms of methemoglobinemia include pale, gray, or blue-colored skin, lips, and nail beds; shortness of breath; confusion; headache; lightheadedness; and rapid heart rate.  The condition is caused by gels and liquids containing benzocaine, with concentrations as low as 7.5% and symptoms can appear within minutes or hours of application.

So far, children 2 years and younger have been affected by benzocaine.  The FDA warns against giving children under 2 any medication containing benzocaine, unless directed by a pediatrician.  Naural ways to soothe baby’s pain include giving your child a chilled teething ring or rubbing/massaging  the gums with your fingers, suggests the American Academy of Pediatrics.  Otherwise, seek advice from a healthcare professional.

Name-brand medications that include benzocaine are Baby Orajel, Orajel, Anbesol, Hurricaine, and Orabase.  However, there are still benzocaine-free OTC teething medicines available.  Church & Dwight, the makers of Orajel, have released Baby Orajel Naturals, which contains clove oil instead of benzocaine, alcohol, and dye to relieve teething symptoms.  They are also working with the FDA to determine the best actions for using benzocaine in children under 2 years old.  Boiron has also released a homeopathic teething medicine called Camilia that comes in pre-measured, individual doses and is free of benzocaine, preservatives, flavors, dyes, and sugar/artificial sweeteners.

1. [...] Benzocaine, used in medications that soothe a baby’s teething pain, can cause a rare but serious condition known as methemoglobinemia (Parents.com) [...]

2. [...] Zobacz tekst na: http://www.parents.com [...]

3. by Bee

On June 5, 2012 at 1:51 pm

My 7 month old daughter just started teething and I wouldn’t use products containing benzocaine. I searched for something to soothe her and found orajel Naturals, which contains no benzocaine..

4. by Tina

On June 6, 2012 at 4:45 am

I’ve never used those gels, I know they contain anaesthetics and that is not something I’d give my child. There are LOTS of alternatives; homeopathics can work really well (Weleda and Brauer do great teething powders), Baltic Amber teething necklaces, clove oil, and teething chews are all genuinely helpful. Teething can be nasty but it passes, it’s not serious enough to warrant putting chemicals into sensitive developing bodies.

5. by Sergio

On August 12, 2012 at 10:51 am

It’s remarkable in support of me to have a site, which is helpful in support of my know-how. thanks admin

6. by Darrel

On March 12, 2013 at 4:27 am

Howdy! Someone in my Myspace group shared this site with
    us so I came to take a look. I’m definitely enjoying the information. I’m book-marking and will be tweeting this to my followers!

Outstanding blog and great style and design.

7. by resources

On March 27, 2013 at 9:13 am

Simply desire to say your article is as amazing.
    The clarity in your publish is simply cool and that i can think you are knowledgeable in
    this subject. Fine with your permission allow me to snatch your RSS feed to stay up to date
    with drawing close post. Thanks a million and please continue the rewarding work.

8. by source

On April 9, 2013 at 11:51 pm

Howdy! Do you use Twitter? I’d like to follow you if that would be ok. I’m
    undoubtedly enjoying your blog and look forward to
    new updates.

9. by Tanesha

On April 9, 2013 at 11:58 pm

I’ll right away grab your rss as I can not find
    your e-mail subscription link or e-newsletter service.
    Do you have any? Please let me know so that I could subscribe.
    Thanks.