Voices of Autism: Milestones

Every day throughout April–Autism Awareness Month–we will be featuring a different reader-submitted story about living with autism. Today’s story was written by Pam Byrne, mother of Alex, 19, and author of the blog One Autism Moms Notes:

Last summer, as I was reorganizing some drawers and closets, I ran across my son Alex’s baby book. I hadn’t looked at it for years and had forgotten how carefully I had recorded the events of his first year, describing his first trips, Christmas, birthday, and other events in detail. During those first 12 months, Alex met his major developmental motor milestones within the normal range. According to my notes, Alex first turned over at two-and-a-half months, sat up alone at seven months, began to crawl at eight-and-a-half months, and took his first step around his first birthday.

What is more revealing, however, is to note the blanks I have left in his baby book: “Mother was first recognized at age___, ” Father was first recognized at age ___,” “That little hand first reached for ___ at age ___,” and “The very first word spoken was ___, and it was said at age ___.” Now I realize that these were all red flags pointing to autism, but I kept waiting, hoping to fill in the blanks.

I have heard from other mothers of children with autism that they, like me, could no longer write in their children’s baby books once they suspected something was wrong. After getting a diagnosis of autism, some put their baby books away, as I did, partly because we were too busy helping our children get better, but partly because we were overwhelmed by uncertainty as to what the future might hold for those babies.

Near the end of the baby book, I found a brief narrative that I wrote a few years after Alex was diagnosed with autism, summarizing what had transpired during those years I left spaces blank. I wrote the following explanation for what had happened to Alex: ”At age 4, Alex was diagnosed with hyperlexia, an autism spectrum disorder characterized by precocious reading skills. (Alex began reading at age 3) and delayed language and social skills. He began speech therapy at age 4 years, three months, and he began occupational therapy for delayed fine motor skills and sensory defensiveness at age 4 years, 10 months.”

The objectivity in this description belies the range of emotions I have felt through the years in dealing with autism. Had I known what I know now when I wrote that paragraph, I could have faced the future with far less fear and even greater hope. Whenever I consider what the future holds for Alex, I remember that he eventually learned to recognize my husband and me, reach for things he wanted, and speak thousands of words. While Alex masters skills on his on his own time table, God teaches us patience. With anticipation and faith, we wait for the next milestone to be met and celebrate how far he has already come.

To read previous stories in this series, click here. For instructions on how to submit your story, click here.

1. by A. Sheposh

On April 22, 2011 at 10:51 am

Very inciteful. Thanks!

2. by Alysia

On April 22, 2011 at 11:33 am

Thank you for sharing this. Our baby book ends at 4 months old when things were so hard. It’s nice to read that I’m not the only one, and as someone just starting this journey, your words are so helpful to read.

3. by Lynn

On April 22, 2011 at 10:43 pm

I stopped writing in the baby book right around the same time that I pitched my copy of “What to Expect the Toddler Years”. It’s so hard for me to even articulate milestones on the reams of forms that we are always asked to fill out. When did she crawl? Well, she scooted on her butt at about a year, and then leap-frogged until about 19 months when she finally started to crawl “right”, eg: reciprocally. We never have short answers do we? There is usually not enough room on the form or in the baby book for my long stories :)

4. by Ross Coe

On April 23, 2011 at 4:28 pm

Were these children vaccinated? Funny, no mention. No doubt part of the cover up. Many writers seek out the parents who don’t understand the connection, or call it a gift and other nonsense responses. If you mention vaccines you get one and only one response, Wakefield. His story has been twisted and made unrecognizable, but somehow its become a fraudulent explanation why vaccines don’t cause autisn. Anyone who does real research knows there is no proof vaccines are not involved. But many accept Pharma’s claim vaccines are not involved just because they say so.

5. by Berthajane Vandegrift

On April 23, 2011 at 5:31 pm

My autistic son is now 54, and I never stopped recording his acchievements. I tried, but I was never able to overcome my regret that he didn’t grow up to live an self-sufficient life. He had a happy childhood, and he is a sweet, contened adult. I don’t think he has ever regreted his nature. My son was diagnosed in the days when autism was thought to be caused by “maternal rejection” and the treatment was psychotherapy for mother. Our story can be read at:

6. by Coach

On November 17, 2011 at 7:00 am

I truly wanted to make a quick remark in order to express gratitude to you for all of the wonderful ways you are sharing on this site. My extended internet investigation has at the end been honored with good quality facts and techniques to exchange with my good friends. I ‘d state that that we website visitors actually are undoubtedly fortunate to be in a perfect site with very many marvellous people with helpful points. I feel truly fortunate to have encountered the web pages and look forward to really more exciting times reading here. Thanks once more for everything.

7. by Manteaux Moncler 2011

On November 24, 2011 at 5:57 pm

When I initially left a comment I clicked the -Notify me when new comments are added – checkbox now each time a comment is added I receive six e-mails with the similar comment. Will there be any way you could take out me from that services? Thanks!

8. by Carmon Deridder

On December 15, 2011 at 2:22 pm

Wow, so that’s how people do it. Awesome info. though.

9. by Refleks arbejdstøj EN471

On December 23, 2011 at 7:01 am

I will come back later time an get an update on your website.

10. by Kiley Quinto

On December 25, 2011 at 12:03 am

You ought to be a part of a competition for one of the greatest information sites on the internet. I’d personally entirely advise this great site! In addition, I mentioned you on my very own Twitter webpage, ideally that is ok.

11. by Aaron Berchielli

On December 25, 2011 at 6:55 am

Awesome, that was a extremely good post. On the other hand I am experiencing issues with your Feed. I don’t understand precisely why but I can’t join it. Is there anyone having related issues? Anybody who understands please reply. Many thanks. Soo Yun

12. by jenna haze

On December 27, 2011 at 5:38 pm

Appreciate your properly providing your facts, But I’m not even within your state government, therefore I couldn’t know.

13. by Lora Wassinger

On December 27, 2011 at 11:59 pm

You need to get involved in a contest for one of the most useful personal blogs on the web. I’d completely recommend this great site! Furthermore, I talked about yourself on my very own Myspace account, ideally that is ok.

14. by Irwin Marz

On December 28, 2011 at 1:12 am

You need to get involved in a competition for one of the finest personal blogs on the internet. I’d entirely recommend this great site! Furthermore, I mentioned you on my own Myspace site, with any luck , that’s cool.

15. by 3m stock symbol

On January 22, 2012 at 7:54 am

The very core of your writing is good and settles well with me. Someplace throughout the writing you actually managed to make me a believer. I still would like more information and would rather have you to create more as often as you can. If you actually accomplish that, I could undoubtedly end up being impressed. I may visit soon to view your updates!

16. by serotonin foods

On September 4, 2012 at 6:14 pm

ive examine your own material previous to and also youre simply just as well brilliant everyone loves what

17. by graco baby supplies company

On September 18, 2012 at 5:15 pm

Fantastic Article

18. by 7 day belly blast diet plan

On September 27, 2012 at 2:33 pm

I stumbled upon this via Bing. This website appears awesome.

19. by bedste e cigaret

On October 4, 2012 at 3:22 am

hi!,I really like your writing so so much! share we keep in touch more approximately your post on AOL? I need a specialist in this area to unravel my problem. May be that’s you! Having a look forward to peer you.

20. by Html5 magasin

On October 22, 2012 at 7:51 am

Amazing, found your site on Ask.Pleased I finally tested it out. Not sure if it’s my Opera internet browser,however from time to time when I pay a visit to your blog, the fonts are very tiny? Nonetheless, enjoy your blog and will check back.Bye

21. by kredyt bank.pl

On November 6, 2012 at 4:49 pm

kredyt pozabankowy

22. by kredyt wikipedia

On November 6, 2012 at 5:42 pm

kredyt pod hipoteke

23. by wizard games free online

On November 20, 2012 at 7:05 am

Enjoy several various online games and truly examine all that you can. The first step just before leaping into anything is to search just before you leap– so analysis flash games just before you decide to make them.

24. by depilacja wasów

On November 28, 2012 at 6:42 am

W jaki sposob depilowac skutecznie oraz bardzo tanio

25. by lenormand kartenlegen lernen

On November 28, 2012 at 9:35 am

Welches wäre, sowie Sie herausfinden, als Ihre Zukunft gehen würd? Sie finden alles von Ihrer zukünftigen Arbeitsplätze nach lernen, lieben dies Leben, Freundschaften, Glück und schlechte. Einige Leute entdecken die überwältigende und will überhaupt nicht jeden Teil die Zukunft nach kennen, wenn einige Leute das spannend entdecken und springen uff ( berlinerisch ) die Chance nach lernen, was sieben wird. Vorhersage über die Zukunft dieser Menschen wird als Wahrsagerin psychischen Lesungen.

26. by kartenlegen mit zeitangaben

On November 28, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Was wäre, wenn Sie herausfinden, als Ihre Zukunft gehen würde? Sie finden was auch immer von Ihrer zukünftigen Arbeitsplätze zu erlernen, lieben das Leben, Freundschaften, Glück und ebenfalls schlechte. Einige Leute entdecken die überwältigende und ebenfalls möchte nicht jeden Teil die Zukunft nach kennen, wenn einige Leute dies spannend entdecken und springen uff ( berlinerisch ) die Gelegenheit zu erlernen, Welches passieren wird. Vorhersage Via eine gute Zukunft der Menschen wird als Wahrsagerin psychischen Lesungen.

27. by shooter games online

On November 29, 2012 at 2:54 am

Enjoy a lot of distinct game titles and truly evaluate all that you can. The very first action ahead of jumping into something is to appear just before you leap– so analysis flash games ahead of you determine to make them.

28. by the best games online

On November 29, 2012 at 11:28 am

Perform a lot of different video games and really examine all that you can. The first action ahead of leaping into something is to look ahead of you leap– so research flash video games ahead of you make a decision to make them.

29. by brain training games online

On March 3, 2013 at 1:10 pm

Engage in many diverse games and truly examine all that you can. The 1st action prior to leaping into anything is to appear just before you leap– so research flash game titles ahead of you choose to make them.

30. by www.cloudsalespeople.net

On April 5, 2013 at 4:27 pm

The material is very significant.|

31. by gosho

On April 16, 2013 at 1:06 pm

Thank you so much for posting this.

32. by Jamila Lumas

On April 25, 2013 at 1:25 pm

I know pregnant women need to ask a doctor about medicines for a yeast infection, but is there even a problem for pregnant women to use something like monastat 7? Does a doctor have to be consluted first. I know it is recommended to do so, but I want to know if there was an over the counter medicine availble without a prescription.

33. by Sang Kolesnik

On April 25, 2013 at 6:35 pm

Very nice design and wonderful articles , absolutely nothing else we need : D.

34. by free online bingo games for fun

On April 29, 2013 at 5:01 am

The majority of us understand the disadvantages of playing games online. However, if the growth and improvement of thinking abilities are considered, playing sport turns out to be quite benefiting. When you play your selected gaming, it is extremely difficult to focus on other activities. Even though cuisine is getting burned in the stove, you hardly detract up your eyes through the screen of the computer.