New Checklist May Help Diagnose Autism in Babies

Doctor Screening BabyBy answering 24 questions, parents and pediatricians now have a better way of determining if a baby is showing symptoms and signs of autism by age 1.

The Infant-Toddler Checklist was featured as part of a study just published in the Journal of Pediatrics,  ”Detecting, Studying, and Treating Autism Early: The One-Year Well-Baby Check-Up Approach.”  The checklist assesses babies based on emotion and eye gaze, communication, gestures, sounds, words, understanding, and object use.

Researchers at the University of California, San Diego lead the study and created the checklist for pediatricians in the San Diego area to use during babies’ 1-year well-visit checkups.  137 pediatricians participated in the study and used the checklist to screen 10,479 babies. 184 infants who failed the screening were then further evaluated every 6 months until age 3.  The checklist was able to diagnose 75% of the infants with specific problems — 32 infants with autism, 52 with language delays, and 9 with development delays.

Until now, the American Academy of Pediatrics has encouraged autism screening for toddlers 18 to 24 months, though most kids aren’t diagnosed until they’re older. According to ABCNews.com, Geraldine Dawson of Autism Speaks (which co-funded the research) said, “This study is very encouraging in showing that a quick questionnaire given to parents during a well-baby visit has potential for identifying infants at risk for autism, as well as other developmental delays, at 12 months of age.”

Read more about the autism checklist:

1. by Iron Deficiency

On June 22, 2011 at 5:31 pm

I was suggested this blog by my cousin. I am not sure whether this post is written by him as nobody else know such detailed about my trouble. You are incredible! Thanks!

2. by asd

On June 29, 2011 at 8:36 am

Just wish to say your article is as astonishing. The clearness in your post is just nice and i can assume you’re an expert on this subject. Well with your permission allow me to grab your feed to keep updated with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please carry on the gratifying work.

3. by Numbers Brenden

On July 5, 2011 at 1:01 am

The guidelines you shared here are really helpful. Rrt had been such a fun surprise to have that waiting for me right after i woke up this quite day. They’re constantly to the point and straightforward to find out. Thanks a ton for the valuable ideas you’ve got shared appropriate here.

4. by pressure washing colorado springs

On July 27, 2011 at 2:34 pm

I delight in, result in I found exactly what I used to be taking a look for. You’ve ended my 4 day long hunt! God Bless you man. Have a great day. Bye

5. by sina88

On September 10, 2011 at 1:41 am

My partner and i was aware of this kind of previously, nonetheless there was clearly a number of useful bits that finished the picture personally, thank you so a lot!

6. by www.linkstation.info: Play Casino Online

On November 15, 2011 at 3:05 pm

hello there and thank you for your info – I have certainly picked up something new from right here. I did however expertise some technical issues using this site, as I experienced to reload the website a lot of times previous to I could get it to load correctly. I had been wondering if your hosting is OK? Not that I’m complaining, but sluggish loading instances times will very frequently affect your placement in google and could damage your high quality score if ads and marketing with Adwords. Anyway I am adding this RSS to my email and could look out for much more of your respective fascinating content. Ensure that you update this again very soon..