Melissa Joan Hart Talks Bi-Coastal Parenting

KelloggÕs National Breakfast DayMelissa Joan Hart, star of the ABC Family comedy Melissa and Joey, has teamed up with Kellogg’s to help share one million school breakfasts with the Share Your Breakfast Challenge. Simply upload or text (the word SHARE to 21534) a photo of your breakfast to the challenge from now until July and Kelloggs will donate a breakfast to a kid in need.

Hart and her husband, musician Mark Wilkerson, live in Westport, CT, with their sons Mason, 5, and Brady, 3.

Parents: You work on the West Coast, but live in Connecticut. How do you balance work and parenting from across the country?

Melissa Joan Hart: First and foremost, I’m blessed to have a loving husband. Since the day (my sons) were born he’s taken a chunk of the workload.  It has been hard on me to be so far away from my children for so much time. They left yesterday, and I won’t see them for two weeks, which is the longest I’ve been away from them. It’s a struggle inside of me.

My husband and I made the move to Connecticut two years ago and we thought a lot about it before we did it. We have a great home in a wonderful community. It’s great that they wake up in their own beds and can be around friends and family. The hard part wrap my head around is that I have kids I won’t be around. Here in California I work and get the hard stuff out of the way so when I get home it’s off time. Most parents have their day at work and home – I get that in weeks: One week is work, and one week is off. It’s not normal, but it’s becoming normal to us.

Why did you move to Westport, CT?

We decided when we had Brady that when Mason went to kindergarten we would move somewhere. I’m from Long Island and he’s from Alabama—we had community and wanted them to have that. We looked in a few cities…and fell in love with Connecticut. We went back the next year because it was a bad time in the housing market.

Do your boys watch your shows?

No, they know that mommy goes to work and I do a show. We watch a lot of the Disney Channel.

Why’d you partner with Kellogg’s?

I think it’s a great campaign they’ve got going on. Kellogg’s is teaming up with Action for Healthy Kids to give one million breakfasts to kids who otherwise wouldn’t have it. One in four kids in the United States is going to school hungry. As a mom that’s just unacceptable. You can’t tell when someone’s hungry necessarily, and how can children grow and learn when they’re hungry? We know this happens in other countries but it’s happening in the US too. It’s a simple thing we can do every morning.

What would we see if you took photos of your family’s breakfast?

My husband is from the South and likes to cook a big breakfast. There’s always eggs. Ricotta pancakes are a favorite thing to make. We usually have sausage and grits, and every once in a while we mix it up with oatmeal and cereal. A lot of the time my sons do cereal for themselves. It’s like we have our own buffet!

1. by Wei Facteau

On July 14, 2011 at 9:13 pm

When wine is in reality, wit is out.

2. by birkenstock clogs for women

On July 18, 2011 at 8:14 am

Fascinating post. Had been do you have all the details through?

3. by Lg infinia 55lx9500

On August 4, 2011 at 1:54 am

Wonderful site. Plenty of helpful info here. I am sending it to some buddies ans also sharing in delicious. And certainly, thank you on your sweat!

4. by Ima Spiering

On August 21, 2011 at 9:32 am

Peki hi? bir halti yemeyen kiz alinip ne yapilacaktir? basi Ürtölecek, evde oturacak, kulucka makinesi gibi Cocuk doguracak ve Cocuk bakacaktir. yok arkadas ben almayayimLivecam Sex

5. by John Worthington

On August 24, 2011 at 12:06 am

Hey, we are looking affilliates by the way for http://fbfist.com/ we are paying 50% per sell. It basically sells itself. Email me if you are interested.

6. by Abnehmen im Schlaf

On September 12, 2011 at 6:08 am

Hello! Do you use Twitter? Id like to follow you if that would be okay. Im undoubtedly enjoying your blog and look forward to new updates.

7. by Joesph Sizemore

On November 9, 2011 at 10:12 am

Wonderful goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff previous to and you’re just extremely wonderful. I actually like what you have acquired here, really like what you’re saying and the way in which you say it. You make it enjoyable and you still take care of to keep it smart. I cant wait to read much more from you. This is actually a terrific web site.

8. by Weterynarz

On November 14, 2011 at 3:55 pm

I’m so very happy browse this. This is actually the kind of manual that needs to be given and not the accidental misinformation that’s at the other personal blogs. Appreciate your sharing this most effective doc.

9. by rugs

On November 16, 2011 at 8:09 pm

There are definitely quite a lot of particulars like that to take into consideration. That is a nice point to deliver.

10. by Chinese tablets usa shipping

On December 13, 2011 at 11:17 am

Looking for the best performance android tablet shipped from the USA?

11. by 2011 ugg

On December 28, 2011 at 4:09 am

Great stuff from you, man. Ive go through your things before and youre just as well awesome. I really like what youve got here, adore what youre saying and the way you say it. You make it entertaining and you still manage to hold it smart. I cant wait to examine more from you. This can be really a excellent blog site.

12. by johne

On December 22, 2012 at 7:29 pm

amaginz!

13. by john

On January 30, 2013 at 3:36 pm

thanks for the good article. how do you wash them? I did find quality rugs but and want to know the right way before washing them.
    I got a good deal on them and very happy.

14. by haj

On March 1, 2013 at 11:23 pm

Thank you.adore what youre saying and the way you say it.