We Want Your Stories About Autism!

AS_10 LIUB AS Branding logo MASTER OLOne of the most powerful ways to raise awareness for a cause is by sharing personal stories. We’ll post your stories about living with autism in a new blog series throughout April, which is Autism Awareness Month. Submit your family’s story about raising kids with autism to FacebookSupport@meredith.com with the following information for a chance to be included in the series:

• Your name
  • Child’s name
  • Living With Autism: Your Family’s Story (Please keep stories under 500 words so we can include more voices on the blog)
  • Photo of your family/child (*Optional. We will include one photo if you’d like.)
  • Link to your personal website/blog (*Optional)

Photo credit: Autism Speaks, www.lightitupblue.org

1. by nicab

On March 26, 2011 at 5:42 pm

I my self have autism and i have many things i am obessed with such as pregnancy and babies.
    I want to overcome my many obstacles such as: having to take pills an lose weight !
    I have oded twice and have to deal with voices and hallcianations that affect me every day of my life. I am also trying to go to groups that will help me move out on my own some day.

2. by Sarah

On March 27, 2011 at 8:24 pm

Hello people….my name is Sarah and I don’t have autism but I work with children that have it and it runs in my family, both my parents youngest sibblings and my youngest brother have it,my brother Samuel I’m relieved to say has so much independiance its beautiful,Sammy is a funny lil guy so If you want a good laugh while getting tips and learning more about it, this is the place to be

3. by Lisa Quinones-Fontanez

On March 29, 2011 at 10:59 pm

So HAPPY that you are doing this and recognizing the Autism community for Autism Awareness Month! For me Autism Awareness is every day – follow us down the rabbit hole at http://www.autismwonderland.com/

4. by Minna Ramos

On April 1, 2011 at 11:41 am

My name is Minna,im a autism grandmother.His name Juan Kevier,6years old ,a great student,perfectionist,curious and smart kid. Love music,and like to hear the same music for months ,until hi find someting new.It’s funny,but if hi get dirt in his shoes,somebody have to take care of that because,for him that is a emergency,hi keep on going without shoes,but never a dirty shoes.Some negatives days,hi want to eat only the same,and a amount of teaspoons.if hi said ten, is ten! hes a lil man.

5. by Monica Johnson

On April 8, 2011 at 11:42 pm

My kids don’t have autism or should I say they almost don’t have autism– I’m told such things like border-line, below grade-level, title I, might have learning diabilities, show some signs but not enough to qualify for the spectrum, developmental delays, language delays…. they work with the IU. I think the Iu does help in some ways. Other times I think they almost make you feel something is wrong with your child when really they’re isn’t. All kids are different- some just take longer to do things…. It’s all very confusing and I really relate to autistic parents and support them. My girlfriend’s kid has pdd. I think he has totally different symptoms than my children. He’s more violent and also flaps his hands and stands on his tip-toes and is obsessed with spinning things and action figures. I’m still not sure what my kids have- they do none of these things. It’s all labelling and all I can say is LOVE YOUR KIDS NO MATTER WHAT in Every way possible….

6. by Tamara Rykowski

On April 26, 2011 at 10:39 pm

My name is Tamara and I have a 7 year old son with Aspergers Syndrome. His name is Nick or “Nickelbug” for short :) He was diagnosed a year ago and life has gotten so much better since being able to put a name to it and research all the available info. We changed how we live and it works great for our family. We have two other children- Halle and Nate. We learned to prepare Nick with timers and speeches when things change. We give him sensory therapy and the meltdowns have cut by 2/3s. We educate everyone around us and host special fundraisers, which Nick is involved in- just to raise awareness in our small town. We have been lucky to have a great teacher for him! She has moveed mountains for him int he school system. Lastly, we have found that the more we educate others about this life-long condition the more people meet Nick in the middle and try to see things from his point of view. Thanks for helping to raise awareness Parents magazine~