World AIDS Day and an AIDS Free Generation of Babies

Malaak-Compton RockEditor’s Note: Guest blogger Malaak-Compton Rock (wife of comedian Chris Rock) is a mother of two daughters who is very passionate about making a change in communities around the world.  She is the author of “If It Takes a Village, Build One,” and the founder of Angel Rock Project, an organization with a global volunteer exchange program for at-risk youth called Journey for Change.  In this guest blog entry, Malaak-Compton Rock writes about how parents can ensure babies are born HIV-free in five years.

The AIDS Free Generation Is Due in 2015
By Malaak Compton-Rock

Today is World AIDS Day, which may not resonate with a lot of people the way it did years ago when AIDS was an urgent health crisis in our country.   This year, however, I’m writing to sound the alarm and make sure that we start to pay attention again.

We are poised to achieve one of the most important goals in the historic fight against AIDS and one that is especially relevant to all of us as parents.

Within five years, we can create the first generation of babies born HIV-free in three decades.

Let that sink in for a moment.

For the first time since this disease started ravaging our society (and killed more than 25 million people), we have a shot to give an entire generation a healthy start.

It won’t be easy.  It will take hard work.  But, it is completely possible.

In the last few years the world has made huge progress in providing women and children with access to treatment that prevent transmission of HIV to babies. The rate of this success is increasing. Between 2004 to 2007, the proportion of HIV-positive pregnant women who received this treatment increased from 9% to 33% and between 2007 to 2008, from 33% to 45%. The global goal is to reach the remaining 55% within 5 years.

I’ve seen first-hand the impact HIV/AIDS has on families in Africa, the region hardest hit by this disease (90% of all babies born with HIV are born here). In the past two years, I’ve taken a group of teens from Brooklyn to South Africa as part of my Journey For Change program. This summer our teens served in the poverty-stricken shanty towns of Diepsloot and Soweto, helping orphaned and vulnerable children and granny-led households (grandmothers caring for grandchildren because their own children, mothers and fathers, are dying of AIDS).   There you can see the pain that exists as this disease decimates families, but you can also dare to dream about replacing that pain with joy, when every mother has access to the medicine needed to protect her unborn child.

Today, I’m working with (RED) as we launch an important initiative called “The AIDS Free Generation Is Due in 2015.” Our goal is to raise awareness and funding to help reach this goal. However, we know this is just one part of the solution.  It will also require continued political good will and focus from governments around the world.  If we keep this on the forefront of the fight against HIV/AIDS, we can ensure that the tools exist to bring a generation of babies into this world that will be born free of the burden of HIV/AIDS.

Learn more at WWW.JOINRED.COM.

As a parent, what does World Aids Day mean to you? Read our World Aids Day post here and share your thoughts in the Comments area.

1. by chiptuning

On November 15, 2011 at 4:21 am

Best chiptuning in Poland. If you want your car to go faster is necessary to visit us!

2. by Allegro Samochody Uzywane

On November 15, 2011 at 4:51 pm

I wanted to put you this tiny observation to be able to say thanks yet again with your breathtaking secrets you have shown on this page. This has been extremely generous with people like you to grant freely all a number of people might have offered for sale as an e-book to end up making some cash for their own end, mostly considering that you could possibly have tried it if you decided. The smart ideas in addition acted to be a great way to be sure that someone else have a similar fervor really like mine to grasp more and more in regard to this issue. I think there are a lot more fun sessions in the future for folks who go through your blog.

3. by sears carpet cleaning specials

On November 18, 2011 at 3:21 am

great submit, very informative. I’m wondering why the other specialists of this sector don’t notice this. You should proceed your writing. I am sure, you’ve a huge readers’ base already!

4. by mueller hg80 hinged knee brace with kevlar

On September 6, 2012 at 7:17 pm

I’m curious to find out what blog system you have been utilizing? I’m experiencing some minor security issues with my latest site and I would like to find something more safe. Do you have any suggestions?

5. by Marshall Hargreaves

On October 29, 2012 at 2:55 am

Some genuinely interesting information, well written and broadly speaking user pleasant.

6. by Cori Esty

On November 3, 2012 at 5:45 pm

Thank you for the sensible critique. Me and my neighbor were just preparing to do a little research about this. We got a grab a book from our area library but I think I learned more clear from this post. I’m very glad to see such wonderful info being shared freely out there.

7. by Maire Sternberger

On November 6, 2012 at 4:15 am

Hello there! Quick question that’s totally off topic. Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly? My website looks weird when browsing from my iphone. I’m trying to find a theme or plugin that might be able to correct this issue. If you have any recommendations, please share. Many thanks!

8. by spine laser

On November 6, 2012 at 1:55 pm

fantаstiс iѕsuеs altogеther, you just receivеd a neω reader.
    Whаt ωould yоu rесοmmеnd about уour publish that
    you made some ԁаys ago? Any suгe?

9. by freiwillig krankenversichert

On December 15, 2012 at 12:52 am

Throughout the grand scheme of points you secure an A for effort and hard function. Where you lost me personally ended up being on the specifics. As as the maxim goes, the devil is in the details… And it could not be much more correct correct here. Having said that, permit me inform you what did do the job. Your text is pretty engaging and that is possibly the reason why I’m creating the effort so that you can comment. I do not make it a regular habit of doing that. Second, although I can certainly notice the jumps in reason you make, I am not actually confident of how you appear to unite your tips that support to make the actual final result. For the moment I will yield to your position but trust in the future you link your dots greater.

10. by Clement Yerbic

On January 18, 2013 at 7:14 pm

I really like your blog.. very nice colors & theme. Did you create this website yourself or did you hire someone to do it for you? Plz respond as I’m looking to construct my own blog and would like to find out where u got this from. thanks

11. by krankenkassen im test

On January 22, 2013 at 10:39 pm

I’m glad to be 1 of many visitants on this outstanding website (:, regards for posting .

12. by krankenkassen liste

On January 30, 2013 at 2:15 pm

Heya i’m for the very first time here. I came across this board and I uncover It truly beneficial & it helped me out a good deal. I hope to give something back and aid others like you helped me.

13. by Dallas Wedding cakes Makers

On March 13, 2013 at 8:23 am

loved your site, guys feel free to check my wedding cakes pics

14. by Corine Guttierez

On May 6, 2013 at 10:44 am

very interesting post The article clearly stated there point of views Im going to share this online and discuss with my friends thanks

15. by Kerstin Morisky

On May 6, 2013 at 10:08 pm

Real superb looks on that site, I’d value it 10 10.