Nearly All Crib Models Unsafe Under New Gov’t Standards

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission voted today in favor of banning the use and manufacturing of drop-side cribs, while also announcing the enforcement of new safety regulations regarding the making of all cribs—which has the effect of deeming just about every existing make and model unsafe, reports Consumer Ally on WalletPop.com.

According to Mitch Lipka at Consumer Ally, “Manufacturers and retailers have six months to comply with the rules after they are published, which could at least temporarily drive up costs for cribs.”

Malfunctioning hardware in drop-side cribs has been blamed in the deaths of at least 50 infants and toddlers over the past decade, and in recent years around 10 million cribs have been recalled, Lipka reports. As you might imagine, the new regulations established today were in the works a long time and will hopefully put young children on a much safer track when it comes to sleep. (And as always, heeding experts’ advice on how to put your baby down to sleep can go a long way to preventing SIDS deaths.)

Keep up with the very latest on recalls with our helpful Recall Finder and for more details on this story and helpful sleep safety tips, see Mitch Lipka’s full Consumer Ally report.

1. by LK

On December 15, 2010 at 3:12 pm

I’m so tired of the government wanting to make our lives safer! What about all the chemicals that the mattresses are soaked with, making them fire retardant, in the name of safety?

2. by ashley

On December 15, 2010 at 5:04 pm

i have a crib thats not drop side that should be brought up to the government it is completely unsafe to have an infant/toddler sleep in the screws come lose all the time i am always afraid to put my son in the crib because im afriad its going to collapse with him in it!!!!

3. by lernst

On December 16, 2010 at 1:53 pm

LK…..COMPLETELY AGREED! Those fire-retardent chemicals have been linked to SIDS in many other countries but ours. New Zealand did a study and wrapped matresses with plasic to avoid the leakage of said chemicals and not 1 baby died from SIDS on a wrapped mattress… that cannot be a coincidence. The older the mattress the more chemicals are released and the higher the SIDS rates. When is the government interference to far?

4. by Alea

On December 17, 2010 at 10:52 am

I completely disagree with this recall. I believe the number of deaths in the past decade sits around 14 with the rest being injuries. I don’t think you can blame all those on the cribs themselves considering drop-side cribs have been used for decades and millions and millions of babies slept in them JUST FINE. What child doesn’t find a way to injure themselves on something??? There is also a strong possiblity that the deaths were caused by cribs built wrong or the parent not keeping a close on the baby or allowing toys and other stuff in the crib that got jammed in somewhere. Crib injuries are going to happen without the drop side feature. Are they going to recall all cribs after that? Geez.

5. by Danielle

On December 17, 2010 at 10:52 am

I agree with everything you all are saying. I purchased organic cotton/wool mattresses for my 3 children from a CA-based company called Organic Grace. I have a drop side crib and my youngest is 1 years old. Never had any problems. The bigger issues are fire retardents, dyes in clothing, the food our kids eat, etc. New Zealand is the leader of the pack in terms of this type of research.

6. by Amy

On December 17, 2010 at 10:55 am

I for one am glad! I wonder how they are going to control ebay and craigslist….. We had a drop side that would randomly just fall down. We were very lucky our little one wasn’t hurt in it. I swore after that I’d never own another – and we don’t.

These drop side cribs are dangerous!

7. by Alea

On December 17, 2010 at 10:58 am

I’m short and the drop-side has been a huge convenience for me – I would need a stool to get my baby in and out without disturbing him with the feature gone.

8. by Diana

On December 17, 2010 at 11:01 am

I am completly disagree with all of you guys!
    Why the people have to complain every thing?
    It is for our baby safety!

9. by Anonymous

On December 17, 2010 at 11:07 am

It’s a few complaints that got the recalls and the ban! EVERYTHING is getting recalled lately. It’s amazing the world is so populated with all the supposedly unsafe products out there. Every injury or sickness nowadays ends up with a recall. People are going to get sick. People are going to get injuries, especially young children, but it is NOT always the manufacturers fault. Everyone just wants to pass the blame to someone else when something bad happens and not just accept sometimes that accidents do happen, sometimes people do get sick, and there is NO ONE to blame.

10. by MS

On December 17, 2010 at 11:10 am

I think the government should spend more time worrying about really important things. Yes, all parents will agree that their childs safety is extremely important; however, isn’t that our jobs as the parents. I have used a drop side crib for all 4 of my children, and have had no problems. If you put it together properly and make sure everything is in good working order all should be fine. A drop side crib is definately a lot easier for those of us who are vertically challenged (short). Can you imagine what this is going to cost the companies……and consequently new parents?

11. by Chelsea

On December 17, 2010 at 11:17 am

I have a drop side crib & it doesnt even go down! It would have been helpful because I am short! From my experience with cribs & pack n Plays.. pack N plays are 100% safer than cribs. they have a tight firm mattres! They dont have hard bars where if a baby falls it hurts them! and the sides are mesh! Easy breathing! I keep my son in his pack N Play .. yes the crib looks cute & all in his room but I realize he is much happier in his pack N play & their a lot cheaper than most cribs out there! Just really think about it!

12. by celebesmom

On December 17, 2010 at 11:28 am

Be GRATEFUL that your government is even care about the safety of our CHILD!! I’m so thankful for this recall…if you happened to be the one getting the bad luck (got the bad crib), you will be so happy that someone out there is thinking of your family well being and can avoid a tragedy!!

13. by Alana

On December 17, 2010 at 11:42 am

I have 2 kids and 2 drop side cribs.

The first one my dad built, and it is extremely safe. It is very solid and the way the hardware for the drop side is built it is impossible for the bottom to bulge out the way the commercial models do. The hardware is visible, which is probably why no one makes them commercially (not pretty enough for American nurseries!) All the hardware is very sturdy and there are no exposed screws for kids to loosen and swallow. It also only drops if the adult kicks in a foot pedal underneath the crib at the same time as lifting the side, so baby can’t let themselves out in the middle of the night. It works like a charm if you are an adult on the outside, but impossible from the inside or for another child outside to operate (they’re too short).

If the commercial manufacturers switched hardware to the type my dad used on his crib, we wouldn’t be having this recall. The side moves up and down with hardware attached to a metal rod which is firmly attached to the legs at 2 points. My husband could pull with all his strength and it would not bulge (so certainly a teddy bear or other toy shoved in by a child would not move it.) Also, the mattress fits tighter in this crib than in our other crib, which was manufactured commercially. It’s so tight that I have trouble changing the sheets! A pain, yes, but at least I KNOW my kid can’t get her head stuck in there.

I don’t mind the government banning this stuff (since I don’t want to buy it anyway if it’s not safe). That said, parents need to use some common sense and only use baby equipment that seems safe to them. I quit using my Infantino sling after 1 use because it seemed like my daughter could suffocate. Guess what – she could have! They all got recalled a year later.

14. by Cindy

On December 17, 2010 at 11:48 am

Well, I guess the safest place to have your baby sleep will be the old dresser drawer!!! Hopefully, no one shuts the drawer! This is a ridiculous recall. I think that the err lies on the adult where drop-side cribs are concerned. These type of cribs have been used worldwide for decades. I would like to see the numbers on the past 50 years of use. Besides this report says that 50 children in the last decade. Is this just in the USA? And during the last decade, how many babies were born that slept in one these cribs?

15. by Jen

On December 17, 2010 at 11:51 am

Well…all I don’t like is made by wood bumped their head on that. Yeah that’s was cool convertible to bed but was worried that baby got bump on head or chin also when they jump on..so I much choose is like Pack n plays crib with soft that cant be hurt of them and its cute, easy to move or carry anywhere and cheap than the hard wood crib..but parents need to watch their baby also when its not sleeping. Don’t leave the child alone anytime!

16. by joyce

On December 17, 2010 at 11:53 am

Our parents used drop side cribs for us and we’re all just fine! Parents should be able to determine what is safe for their own children. Personally, we have a child with special needs, who has nurses, so a drop side crib is a necessity. The one we had finally had to be replaced with a hospital crib after the baby was big enough to stand up and lean over the rail even though the mattress was down as low as possible; but he still needed nursing care. We and the nurses were leaning down so far to care for him, that it was not practical for our backs, or safe for him as he got taller.

17. by David

On December 17, 2010 at 11:54 am

OK, I’m looking at all of these comments, and am wondering if there are any parents out there who can even spell. Does anyone even read what they posted before posting? The people writing these comments need to quit posting their opinions and expect to be taking seriously, if they can’t even form a complete sentence, much less spell correctly.
    Regardless, it looks like, once again, the government is overstepping their boundaries. They’ll do anything to stay in business, won’t they? They keep their safety commissions running by making ridiculous claims all the time. There is absolutely nothing wrong with drop-side cribs. It’s mainly idiots who don’t follow instructions and don’t take care of their babies properly that end up with babies with injuries. Obviously, no one can watch their child all the time, so there’s going to be accidents.
    Also, I’m not trying to be insensitive about babies dying, but if, over the past decade, only 50 babies have died, with all of the millions and millions of babies who have used drop side cribs, I’m thinking the government is seriously stretching the actual threat of the crib.
    I’m also thinking that the “around 10 million” cribs that have been recalled, how many were due to the drop down side. Where did they get this figure anyway?
    And can someone please tell me what the heck the SIDS reference has ANYTHING to do with the drop side crib? Why was that even brought up? There’s no correlation between the drop side crib and SIDS. Why did the writer even put this in the article?
    The government needs to seriously just get a grip, quit looking for a reason to keep busy, and quit wasting our tax money finding phantom problems with the items we use everyday. We’ve been using these cribs for a lot longer than just a decade and I’m sure people will continue to use them long after as well, with no problems.

18. by Alex tulk

On December 17, 2010 at 12:01 pm

I don’t know why the government is doing this now when people have been using the drop-side cribs for over 20 years now. My mom didn’t have any troubles with her 4 kids and I haven’t have anything bad happen to my son. It sounds like the government wants to dictate what we should use and not use, even when its safe.

19. by Tawana

On December 17, 2010 at 12:21 pm

I have a 10 month old daughter. And I have that kind of crib. We never move it up & down because it’s pretty hard to move, to be honest. I’d like to be able to move the side up & down to put her in the crib as it’s sometimes hard to lay her down gently because I’m petite. Anyways, I guess she’s only in the crib a little longer as she’s a little under a year old. So, what does the gov’t expect us all to go out & buy a “new” crib if ours is the one that they’ve recalled?

20. by Stephanie Duncan

On December 17, 2010 at 12:32 pm

The whole problem with the drop side cribs is that the manufacturers stopped using metal and went to cheaper plastic hardware. I purchased a drop side crib in 1995 when my oldest child was born. It has metal rods with metal brackets that are securely attached with screws to the crib’s frame. I used this for my second child as well. I then loaned the crib to my friend who used if for both her babies. I had my 3rd child in 2008 and since my friend was still using my original crib, I purchased another drop side. Guess what? Plastic hardware! We used it approx 4 months and it started coming apart. My son ended up sleeping in his pack n’play until he was old enough to go to his toddler bed. What about the original drop side crib you say? It is still going strong and when my friend is through with it, I plan to store it in my barn and use it for my grandchildren because a 5’2″ woman and a non-drop side crib do not mix! Enough said!!

21. by Jarad

On December 17, 2010 at 12:49 pm

@David, I mostly agree with everything you said, but you can’t bash people’s spelling and grammar and then misspell “taken” as “taking” in the process….

Anyway, this ban is going to cost a lot of people a lot of money for something that probably won’t protect a single baby. I can almost guarantee any deaths or injuries that have come from the drop down cribs were from poor installations by the parents or store that put them together, not the manufacturing.

22. by Chasity

On December 17, 2010 at 12:54 pm

I for one am glad that they were recalled coming from a Mom who had a horrible experience with a drop down side crib. I had no problems with my first child in this crib (note he only used it for 18 months and my boys are 2 years apart), but when my 2nd child was 1 year old we awoke on Thanksgiving morning with him screaming at the top of lungs. When my husband went into the room, he was sitting on the floor with his head wedged between the crib mattress and side rail. The parts on the crib rail had broken and had allowed him to fall through. If he would have fallen a different direction he could have suffocated.

23. by Barbi

On December 17, 2010 at 1:01 pm

I’m still undecided about where I sit with this new ban.

On the one hand, I can see how drop-side cribs can be dangerous, especially if they are not properly put together.

On the other hand, being an owner of a drop-side crib and one of the “short-mommies”, I definately see the benefits. Our crib was not on any recall, and we have never had an issue with it. Without the drop-side, I would have one heck of a time getting my son in and out of his crib (I’m only 4’10)!

Just my thoughts, but why ban these cribs when the government should really be enforcing stricter guidelines for how they are made. Also, maybe classes should be offered for how to properly assemble cribs (not just drop-sides). There are classes for proper installation of carseats and even babywearing! If parents have access to this type of educations, not only will they learn how to correctly assemble their crib, they will be able to make more educated decisions when it comes to their child/ren’s safety.

24. by David

On December 17, 2010 at 1:02 pm

To Chasity,

Sounds like your crib was a piece of junk, and had nothing at all to do with the drop down function.

25. by Michele

On December 17, 2010 at 1:19 pm

To David,

Since you expressed such concern over other people’s spelling and grammar, please be advised that you are inappropriately placing commas before the word “and” in your posts.

26. by Erin

On December 17, 2010 at 1:24 pm

I guess I am a little confused about this article. When I was looking for a crib for my 11-month old daughter, drop side cribs had already been pulled off the market. All that were available were non-drop side cribs, and there was still plenty of cribs to choose from. But this article says that this ban makes nearly all the cribs on the market unsafe.

Were there other safety regulations put into play that causes the non-drop side cribs to be deemed unsafe?

27. by Sarah

On December 17, 2010 at 1:28 pm

They just don’t meet the safety standards anymore. Are they UNsafe… Not necessarily,no, but are they AS safe as a stable non drop side crib? It’s all about safety, standards change, and if someones telling me they’ve tested a product and found that it does not meet our safety standards today then I’m going to listen. I don’t paint my house with lead paint just because more children die in car accidents than by eating led paint. I also don’t give my children plastic shopping bags because the death toll is so low. Why wouldn’t I listen when an authority on baby safety tells me something is a bad idea?

28. by Margaret

On December 17, 2010 at 1:31 pm

These cribs have been around for far too long and they should have been taken off the market decades ago. My frustration is with the government watchdog agencies that have been dragging their heels on banning these cribs. Too many families have lost infants because these cribs have remained on the market.
    As for SIDS, I don’t know exactly what it has to do with protecting infants from drop-side cribs, but the “research” that was cited regarding a connection between the flame-retardent (atimony) and SIDS has been repeatedly debunked. (See http://www.firstcandle.org) Even the researchers have abandoned the theory. The incidence of SIDS is far higher in Argentina, where there are no regulations regarding crib mattresses.
    We do know much of what can be done to prevent SIDS including eliminating blankets, pillows, stuffed toys, and loose-fitting crib sheets. Also, the mattress should fit snuggly into the crib frame with no more than a 2-finger width between the mattress and the crib. There is a lot of research that does point to pacifiers acting to prevent SIDS. The Consumer Product Safety Commission has a great video with the latest information on safe sleep (www.keepingbabiessafe.org).
    I can’t help but wonder if it isn’t merely a knee-jerk reaction when I hear or read people’s complaints about government making decisions to protect the lives of children.

29. by NC

On December 17, 2010 at 1:53 pm

I currently use a dropside for my son & will be using a dropside once my daughter arrives. I grew up with dropside cribs as did my sisters & their kids. They were all very sturdy (I know mine was because I hung on the outside of the crib as a child. Shh… don’t tell mom :) As with Alana; the dropsides that I have also have the bars running down the side and the kick bar at the bottom. You must also lift up on the side for it to release from the “kick bar”. ALL of the parts that are required for movement are either made of metal or wood (the actual dropside is wood – the rest is metal) My cribs were manufactured the correct way which in my opinion is not what is happening these days. Companies are using plastic pieces and seem to be attempting “new & improved” ways of allowing the cribs to drop down. Instead of the ban on all dropside cribs, I think they should make companies go back to the expensive hardware & the kickbar which requires you to lift up on the side before it can be put down & make the mattress fit better. My cribs are a pain to change the sheets on but I agree with Alana, I’d rather spend a few extra minutes changing the sheets & checking the hardware than worry about my kids being unsafe. As far as them getting stuck, I use the net so they can’t get any extremities stuck (it’s also nice because he hasn’t figured out how to climb out yet :)

30. by Susan

On December 17, 2010 at 2:28 pm

@David – I suggest you read your posts before you send them. In your third sentence you used the word “taking” instead of “taken.”

It’s a waste of time even posting a comment if you’re going to start off offending others. It dimishes the validity of your remarks.

Check yourself before you wreck yourself.

31. by Audrey

On December 17, 2010 at 2:49 pm

The government needs to mind their own business!
    I have 4 kids ages 1-19 and have never had ANY issue with any of their drop side cribs and even if I had then it should be MY CHOICE to purchase something different ( didn’t even know they made anything different) or not. There is ALWAYS going to be SOMETHING that is potentially dangerous for our children…we can’t ban everything that gives every person a problem. RIDICULOUS! Is the government going to replace all these cribs? My current crib was $400…I don’t plan on buying another one. Sounds like a economic stimulation tactic to me!

32. by Angela

On December 17, 2010 at 2:51 pm

I find it funny people are complaining that the government is stepping in to help protect YOUR children. Should they have left the bad medication on shelves too?

My daughter, now two did have a crib with drop sides. I’m short and used them. I have no problem with this though. If I have another child I will use a crib without or a pack n play.

No biggie, safety first for my children.

33. by Becca

On December 17, 2010 at 3:08 pm

Alea…I’m not saying I’m totally for this recall but do you know all the children…how would you know its only 14 and basically what you are saying is that it is probably the parents fault…you must be a crib manufacturer or else you wouldn’t be saying things that really how would you know unless you were there.

34. by Jessica

On December 17, 2010 at 3:13 pm

Let’s face it, we live in a world where too many people expect someone else to raise our kids, take care of our kids, protect our kids and teach our kids. Instead of parenting skills, society promotes more and more guidelines, rules and regulations, excuses and finger pointing. It’s a wonder any of us survived. Good grief. Now what? How are you supposed to change the sheets in a crib when the sides don’t come down? If only this much energy would go into worrying about all the kids that don’t even have cribs to sleep in or enough food to eat or parents that even care about them. Fed up with stupid people. These are the same parents that put their kids cribs right next to a window with roman shades and then blame the shades when their poor child gets stuck in them!

35. by Jessica

On December 17, 2010 at 3:17 pm

And I agree with NC. The quality isn’t there anymore. Improve the product instead of banning them.

36. by laura

On December 17, 2010 at 4:08 pm

I am 5ft tall had a 10lb baby boy in july and bought a crib with NO moving parts. I am also a ER nurse and I have seen my share of horror from these cribs…nothing like parents bringing their child in the middle of the night because they fell out of the crib, or an ambulance bringing in a nonresponsive infant…I will do what ever it takes to keep him safe and it may be a pain in the butt to get him in and out of the crib that has no up and down rails but that is my problem. As far as the gov well it’s about time now work on some other saftey issues.

37. by zz

On December 17, 2010 at 4:40 pm

I think the older cribs where you had to lift and push the metal bottom was a real good one. I have seen the newer one fall with it under safe pressure, where the older ones with the same amount of pressure don’t move. Just like we were told to stop using bumper pads and not everyone is listening to that. It doesn’t matter what anyone says your going to do what you want and feel is best for your family. You can’t make everyone happy. Something you feel is good and safe, someone else may feel is not.

38. by karen

On December 17, 2010 at 4:48 pm

Why can’t they just set stronger manufacturing standards rather than banning all drop side cribs? You mean to say we can send people on “tourist” trips to the moon and talk to someone anywhere on the planet, but we can’t build a drop-side crib that won’t fall apart? And I’d like to know what people of short stature are supposed to do now– stand on a stool and reach down to pick up a squirmy baby? Now that really sounds unsafe.

39. by Karen

On December 17, 2010 at 4:51 pm

Yes, Jessica, agree 100%.

40. by Karen

On December 17, 2010 at 5:02 pm

And I agree with David on at least one point– this issue has nothing to do with SIDS– did the writer just throw in that word to scare parents even more?

41. by karen

On December 17, 2010 at 5:04 pm

I agree with Audrey. It sounds a lot like an economic stimulus. I am pregnant and my mom bought our crib for us (not a drop side, although I prefer them). We don’t have money to go out an buy a new crib because pretty much all of them are considered unsafe now. We just don’t have the money. We are struggling just to pay bills, not to mention try to get anything for our 8-year-old for Christmas.

What they NEED to do is provide free, required classes for parents-to-be that teaches things like crib setup and safety. They don’t have a problem spending our money on stupid things, why not put it to good use.

You need 4 years of schooling and a license to be a plumber, but no education is required to be a spouse or parent. I understand that marriage and procreation are God-given rights (certain unalienable rights endowed by our Creator), but in the public school system they don’t even teach communication (a big problem in marriages and parenthood alike) as a requirement anymore. If the government cared more about education than recalls, there wouldn’t be so many deaths. They still don’t even know what causes SIDS. How can they say what not to do? And like a previous post said, how are they even linking it to the drop side crib?

Bottom line: parents need to have training on proper safety of these things and manufacturers (sp?) need to be held more accountable to produce well-built, quality products the FIRST time instead of having to do all these ridiculous recalls. Raise the safety standards, but don’t punish us short moms (and those fewer short dads) because of a handful of cases (which were probably due to misuse, improper setup, or other error on the part of the parent or malfunction of hardware due to lax safety standards).

Quality should be top priority of anyone making children’s products, not profit.

42. by Kelly Jo

On December 17, 2010 at 5:32 pm

We had a drop side crib for our first son, and it was an older model with great hardware. After seeing so many recalls on the drop side cribs, we got a used crib at a consignment sale that is not drop down and we love it. I am short (5’3) and do not have any problems. They are made lower to the ground (similar to a pack and play) so it is easier to reach in and get the child. People error and put their children in danger, and the government is trying to help. Personally I don’t think I could sleep knowing that my newborn was in a crib that had been recalled. In our case, the old crib may have been fine, but it was worth the money spent to have peace of mind!

43. by SEG

On December 17, 2010 at 5:45 pm

i totally agree with NC.

I think the main issue with drop side cribs is the hardware and materials used to make them. Older drop side cribs were made with the steel rods that the rails slid on and were made with solid wood (none of the particle board that looks like wood that is everywhere). They never had all the problems that the newer cribs have with the cheap plastic that can crack and cheap materials that break easily.

I know when I was shopping for cribs 2 years ago that it seemed all the cribs that were not drop side were made with better materials and all the drop sides were poorly constructed. To me it seems like manufacturers had planned on phasing out drop side cribs with crappy construction. I bet that the stationary cribs are probably cheaper to make with less hardware.

I have a drop side crib made by childcraft that is solid wood with no plastic and have had no problems what so ever. It is an older model that I purchased used and I couldn’t be happier with it. I’m not tall so with out the drop side I would have a difficult time getting my son in and out of the crib.

The government should be more stringent on the materials and hardware used, not ban them completely.

44. by Karen

On December 17, 2010 at 7:39 pm

Fixed-side cribs aren’t any safer if they’re shoddily made. It sounds like the CPSC wants to develop stronger standards for the manufacture of ALL cribs. Now that’s a move I support completely (and I agree with others, they have to also be constructed correctly by parents to be safe.

45. by Jamie

On December 17, 2010 at 8:17 pm

Government needs to step away and let companies go forward. Companies have been so pushed by the government to change so many things that they have in my opinion had no other choice but to either raise the cost or cut cost on important things like now using cheap wood, plastic pieces and just poor workmanship. If the government would have stayed out of things along time ago unless really needing to I think we would be in this problem with everything we purchase. Before people made the decision on what was good, now the only way to by good is to spend thousands it seams. We live in a world where everything is made as cheaply as possible and no regard to human use but money. Stop sending our jobs over seas to people that don’t know us, could care less about us.

46. by Staci

On December 17, 2010 at 8:26 pm

I wouldn’t be surprised if this causes more problems because parents mainly short ones like me will be hesitant to drop the mattress setting when the child starts sitting and standing just so that they can put the to bed soundly without waking them. Luckily, my second child gets put down awake and falls asleep on his own but my first was a whole different story. I would have to rock him till he fell asleep and then put him in gently. Without the drop side this would have been next to impossible!

47. by Karen

On December 17, 2010 at 9:05 pm

That was my point too, Staci, I think this could cause more accidents than it will prevent. But I don’t agree, Jamie, that the answer is just to leave it up to business to do the right thing. That’s what led to some of these cribs being poorly built in the first place, which ended up giving them all a bad name. It’s too easy to blame the government for the growing tendency of business to take shortcuts and put the bottom line before quality workmanship.

48. by Sarah

On December 17, 2010 at 9:44 pm

I think the recall is ridiculous – my parents had a drop side crib they used for me and both my older siblings and it was perfectly safe. My sister fell out of it when she was a toddler…not because it was a drop side, but because my mom was a new mother and didn’t think to remove a large stuffed animal that was in it that she climbed on! That can happen with any crib! No recall is going to prevent accidents from happening…they are inevitable. We just hope and pray that none of them are serious.

49. by Toni

On December 17, 2010 at 10:33 pm

I agree with the improvement of the design rather than the banning. Also i understand if you are short and it is to hard for you, but honestly i am 4’11” and i have a 9 month old… she weighs almost 19 pounds, i weigh 98. I spent alot of money on her crib and it was not a drop down crib and right now it is the lowest it can go. I have absolutly no problem with getting her in and out of the crib at all. I mean yes i do have to lean on the front rail to reach all the way down, but it is not at all unmanagable. Honestly i would not trade her crib for anything. If all these drop down cribs are having malfuntions and mine hasnt had nearly as many, even if it seems like such a small amount of babies. I would never risk getting that design over the one i have.

But i 100% understand someone who might be physically challeged otherwise.

I support any action that is for the safety and protection of babies.

And someone in the world will find the littlest thing the complain about no matter what the topic.
    Including spelling… i mean come on who cares, just because someone spells incorrectly or has inproper grammor dosent mean they cant have a valid point.

50. by Angela

On December 17, 2010 at 10:39 pm

I’m 5’2″ and the mother of a very healthy 10 month old, and setting her in her crib every night is a challenge and a back pain. Changing her sheet is even more of a pain since the mattress is so tight, however, all it takes is 1 announced infant death for me to know it’s well worth the effort as long as i know she’s safe in her crib. Kudos to the government for stepping in because there’s parents who will continue to purchase that cheaper sold, cheaper made product even after they’ve been warned of the risks. I admit cribs are ridiculously expensive so if you can’t afford a strong crib, play pins are great alternatives.

51. by AFirefighter

On December 17, 2010 at 11:29 pm

@David: I agree that people need to read over their post before they send it.
    To everyone else: I agree that the government oversteps their bounds constantly on things that are not their concern but if they are so concerned with our infants and toddlers lives why are they not concerned with these same childrens lives before they are born? They are just as much alive and can feel just as much pain when they are in the womb.
    Also, for those of you complaining about the fire-retardant mattresses, maybe if you had worked a house fire where you had to search for hours for and then help identify the bodies of a 3 year old and a 5 year old you would be very greatful for the laws regarding fire retardant mattresses. I can find plenty of things wrong with the government today but you will not hear this firefighter complain about her infant sleeping on a flame retardant mattress. Just something to think about. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

52. by Denise

On December 17, 2010 at 11:33 pm

To be honest – this just pisses me off. I don’t want the government telling me what I can and can’t have for my child. I’m barely five foot tall. I’ve stood in the stores and tried to lay stuff in cribs that side’s don’t drop. I would have to drop by child 6 inches into bed once they are old enough to stand. Its not safe to have the matress raised to the point that they can stand to hang over it but I’m not going to have any choice if I can’t reach to lay a sleeping baby down. Thanks for making the next 3 years DEFINITELY extremely difficult to deal with as opposed to experiencing a MINUTELY POSSIBLE danger.

53. by Brittany

On December 17, 2010 at 11:53 pm

These comments are a little irritating to read. If the government were telling you where you can live, what you can wear, and where you can work, I could understand your frustration towards that, but were talking about the safety of our children! I don’t care if it were one child or 14 that had died in an incident where a drop side crib was involved..one would be enough for me! As far as all of the other dangers that pose a threat to my child, I am sure the government is looking into those and researching them or someone is. Until then I know to keep them away from child, as do you, obviously because you have posted it on here! So again the comments are a bit irritating, instead of hating the government for trying to keep our children safe, try being grateful that they are informing everyone what could possibly be a death threat to your child, I know I am!

54. by LeeAnna

On December 18, 2010 at 2:08 am

anyone who thinks the recalls are a good idea are really stupid. the gov’t is controling so much of america that should be controled by the people that its scary. I would rather the gov’t stick its big fat ugly head out of everyday affairs and stick with getting pork out of the bills like obamacare. which was a really dumb idea.

55. by Lezlie

On December 18, 2010 at 2:43 am

Okay, given that manufacturers use such weak hardware that have a short optimal usage lifespan because they tend to wear out, break, and warp faster then metal or hardwood hardware I can understand why the government is issuing a ban on drop side cribs. But, I can understand also why the band of drop side cribs is an issue for many women primarily. Excluding myself the women in my family are short, ranging from 4’11 – 5’4 so they favor the drop side feature when putting their children to bed, or taking them out. Being 5’8 I never bothered using the drop side feature, even though all of their cribs had them, because it wasn’t necessary for me and the only reason I had considered purchasing a drop side crib when I have a child is because it would make it easier on the females in my family to have access to my baby. I guess now when the time comes for me to purchase a crib I will also have to invest in a sturdy stepstool for them. Personally, I don’t see why the government couldn’t just focus on increasing manufacturer regulations and safety standards. Plus I would have preferred that the numbers again for infant deaths related to drop side cribs have been cited so that we could confirm their source. Also I wonder for all those expectant mothers who just purchased drop side cribs that were not recalled are expected to do? Are they going to be given the option of returning the cribs they’ve already purchased for credit towards a government approved crib? Or are they expected to shell out the money to buy another crib and just lose out on what they spent on the crib they already have? Also, is the government going to take measures to stop day care centers and hospitals from using the drop side cribs that they already have? How are they going to regulate the private resale of drop side cribs on craigslist, eBay, and at yard sales?

56. by karen

On December 18, 2010 at 3:25 am

I want to clarify a few things from what I said in a previous post. I am not opposed to the government helping make our children safe. What I would rather see them do instead of banning the cribs is make sure the cribs are built well to begin with, like they used to be. That’s the problem with our government, they take the easy way out instead of forcing the industry to comply with extremely rigid safety standards to begin with.

Ask my husband, whenever I hear of a recall, I hate it because these products should never even have been put on the market until their safety was thouroughly (sp?) checked by a third party. Whenever I hear of an injury or death caused by an unsafe product, I get extremely upset at these companies and even more so at the fact that more than half, I’m sure, could have been prevented by more strict safety standards to begin with.

I can’t help but wonder, still, how many of these drop side crib injuries/deaths were due to negligence on the part of the parents. I know that many of us women tease men about not reading the instructions when putting something together. My own husband talked of putting the crib together without looking at the instructions. (I wasn’t even going to let that happen, because its NOT SAFE!) A lot of women can be the same way with instructions. So how many of these cribs that caused these injuries or deaths were even assembled correctly in the first place? I’m not trying to be cold, I hate, hate, HATE to hear of a baby that was hurt or killed by anything. (Esp people, I’m not a very good Christian at all when it comes to hearing about a child abuser/murderer.)

Bottom line: I don’t disagree with the government’s interference in safety matters, but the type of interference is what I get afraid of. If they would just hold these manufacturers to higher safety standards, so many problems would be eliminated.

I also just thought of another thing that needs to be reinforced in EVERY classroom in America, on a daily or weekly basis: FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS. I am my son’s teacher at our very small church school, and I take points off his work when he doesn’t follow the directions exactly as written. And I’m talking about giving anywhere from a 0 to only half credit for the question. And then he hears about it orally too and gets in trouble big time if its more than once in a workbook. Hopefully that will cause him to be a man that follows instructions when putting something together.

57. by Alicia

On December 18, 2010 at 5:01 am

I for one think it’s great they are banning them and cannot believe you people thinking oh it’s the government trying to control us ..sad..it’s about protection of children and to say I had them growing up and I am fine is pure ignorance they used to never use car seats either and had lead based paint what was deemed safe then is not the same as it is in this erra and products aren’t made as well these days sad but true so I think they realizes the imperfections the newer drop sides had and got smart I for one am very satisfied with them off the market it’s about time it’s 2010 NOT 1950

58. by agtilley

On December 18, 2010 at 6:12 pm

I have some real mixed feelings with the ban on drop sized cribs. It seems the government is once again protecting us from ourselves. Drop-side cribs have been used for years without problems. If anything I would question the quality of the makers and request better quality control. The drop side was a real advantage when it came out and it saved my back. Parents need to be vigilate that children use the cribs for sleeping not play areas. If a child is up and bouncing around get yourself up and care for the child.I personally don’t like the government in my life everyday. Its not that I’m too old for change. I just want less interference. I don’t like options taken away from me. Warn me if you like but I have a brain. Let me choose.

59. by Karen

On December 18, 2010 at 6:37 pm

LeeAnna,

Um, please stick to the subject at hand. This has nothing to do with health care reform. I don’t agree with an all-out ban as opposed to just making sure drop-sides are safely made, but perhaps you’d just like to leave the safety of our air and water completely up to corporations and see how long before we can’t drink or breath without dropping dead.

60. by Jackie

On December 19, 2010 at 1:11 am

David, I’m kind of in love with you right now.

61. by andrea

On December 19, 2010 at 11:48 pm

I have a drop side that was recalled & did request the parts for it . my son is 7 months old & when he starts pulling himself to a standing position than i will install the parts to keep the sides from coming down. this crib was used for my first child 10 years ago with no problems then or for my second child. it has the metal rods & you have to lift it as you use the foot peice. the parts thatkeep it from moving are metal tubes. i feel safe in the correction that the manufacture has taken to fix this issue.

62. by rjdoghouse

On December 20, 2010 at 2:55 am

I’m a little confused with this one. I have a crib that has been recalled – twice. once to replace the brackets (I got the fix kit for that) and once due to the dropside (again, got a fix kit for that) now that I have made the necessary adjustments to make it safe, are they now saying it’s not?

I agree that we need safety standards – however, I’m starting to wonder at some of this. People don’t set them up right and don’t use them properly making it imperative for safety councils and manufacturers to cover their butts. (coffee burns and still people try to sue over that one) I want my kids to be safe – bottom line – but not in a bubble. I want things to be built to keep them safe and I don’t want to pay to replace them when a new standard comes out. It’s getting ridiculous as we get more and more litigous (sp?) Why can’t it just be done right the first time?

63. by Sarah

On December 20, 2010 at 11:37 am

I have a wood drop-side crib with the older style metal hardware. If companies are truly dedicated to safety in their products, they should revert to quality materials and forget the plastic. For a $3 increase in production cost, they can use metal hardware that will outlast the useful life of the crib (especially if it is made of particle-board).

64. by Tasha

On December 21, 2010 at 9:43 am

I am glad they are banning them. As for the shorter people, they do have a feature on some cribs where you push in the on ends of the side you want down and it folds out towards you, like an oven door. I hope they make more of those kind. They are much easier to deal with.

65. by mjwel

On December 22, 2010 at 2:17 pm

I have a two month old baby I have just purchased my drop side crib. What am I supposed to do go out and buy a new one. Doesnt the government know how much these cribs cost. My husband wanted me to get a used crib from a place like kid to kid (a resale store), but I refuse to put my baby in anything that is used not because I want every thing new. But because I dont know how the other person took care of the items. I cant afford to go out and buy a new crib a few months from now just cause the government says my crib is banned. I made sure my husband properly assembled the crib and looked at the directions that he didnt miss putting a screw somewhere.

66. by heather

On December 24, 2010 at 1:20 am

What happens if you have a drop side crib already? My sister bought a very nice exspensive Jenny Lynn crib from JCPenney and it was only used for my niece. My sister pasted it downed to me, and I wanted to use it because lets face it in this time $ is short for everything, but i dont want to risk my childs life, so is there a way to make them stable?

67. [...] U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission recently announced the enforcement of new safety regulations regarding the making of all cribs, including finally banning all drop-side cribs. These new [...]

68. by Jay Smith

On February 14, 2011 at 8:11 am

The government thinks it should be in charge of recalls of items that do not function properly, perhaps they should recall themselves, as they are certainly malfunctioning greatly. As far as cribs, the older, better built (American -made) cribs with 2 long steel rods are not involved in the recall. The newer, cheaply (foreign-built) built cribs using plastic hardware are at issue. Plastic does get weaker and stressed with age and if the screws etc. are not kept tight, could fail causing a dangerous situation. Any parents who don’t check hardware occasionally and ensure a safe sleeping environment are too stupid to be parents and have no business reproducing. Let’s stick to the real issue though, and realize cheap imports should be the discussion. Let’s get the U.S.A. back to work manufacturing its own products again. This is only my opinion. Jake

69. by Stephanie

On March 28, 2011 at 4:25 pm

I had a crib given to me from someone and when I did the research ( it was a simplicity drop side) I discovered it had over four recalls, 3 of them associated with the drop side. Each time called for different designed hardware, that further resulted in a child’s injury. My family had a old drop side that had the metal rod hardware, and it went through probably about 12 kids, four of them me and my sisters, and the rest my cousins and their children. It is still going strong for sure. All that ever was replaced was the mattress and the teething guards. That being said, this crib I received, was built shoddily, I did not trust the hardware whatsoever. This was before the knowledge of the recalls. Recalls are a necessary evil and are designed to protect our kids. Not everyone experiences the circumstances that lead to the recall, but I am sure if it was one of you skeptics, you would be wanting someone to step in.

I did my homework and purchased an antique crib that has a drop-front gate. It met the spacing requirements of the spindles, and my husband was able to climb inside of it and lay down (tightly, but it held his weight no problem). Most importantly it was made in Canada, and it was built with all real wood and stainless fasteners. I was disappointed to see the manufacturer went out of business because it could not compete with the cheaply made cribs being sold everywhere else. I replaced the hardware since it was a little old and it is solid and good as new. If I hadn’t of found this one, I would have purchased a stationary one and used a step stool if I had to because no “convenience” compares to the safety and life of my child.

70. by Heather

On April 26, 2011 at 3:02 pm

I personally don’t agree with all the recalls that are going on. If there is a defect in the manufacturing, sure, get it fixed. There is always someone that won’t like a feature, but many more that love it. I have always had these kinds of cribs with no problem.

Parents need to make sure they are taking necessary precautions and setting things up right. Things put in and by the cribs should be watched. LIFE is not “safe” and not everything in it will be. Things can happen, things can break, and things go wrong. You can’t fool-proof life. I don’t think the cribs have a “defect” worth recalling them over.

71. by Barbara

On June 28, 2011 at 5:40 pm

I have a drop side crib, We took long screws and secured the updown side, it NO longer moves just like the other side, IS this Safe?