Birthing Dolls for Kids?

Explaining that  a new baby is on the way can get difficult when kids are a certain age. The stork story doesn’t quite fly anymore, but explaining natural childbirth can be confusing for toddlers and awkward for parents.

So maybe the best way to explain the new arrival is with a MamAmor Doll. We first learned about her on Café Mom.  These dolls naturally birth babies—umbilical cord, placenta and all. There’s even a snap for the doll to breastfeed her newborn. The creators of these dolls are proponents of natural childbirth, attachment parenting, breastfeeding and open conversations with young children.

We can’t seem to decide what to make of these dolls! With prices starting at $130, they’re not exactly cheap but then again it’s a small price to pay to teach your toddler about what to expect. The FaceBook fan page has more than 3,500 followers. The doll’s definitely better than any educational video we’ve seen!

Would you buy one of these dolls? What do you think of them?

1. by Kelley

On December 9, 2010 at 8:58 pm

Id buy one! Im planning a homebirth and have a 2 year old daughter Id love to be able to explain things more clearly than a book could. And make it fun to boot! If I could afford one, Id definitely scoop one up. They show birth in a happy, normal way that it should be. :)

2. by Ciana maglio

On December 9, 2010 at 9:01 pm

I absolutely love these dolls, and am hoping to be able to afford one for each of my girls by next Christmas. I think it’s the most beautiful idea to finally have something that shows something so natural in a pleasant way for children. My eldest was only 2 1/2 when saw her younger sister being born, and she loves to tell her the story (at least once a week), and both of my children pretend to breastfeed their dolls. It’s quite lovely to see how caring and loving an open outlook to such a natural occurrence, can help them to embrace and look forward to motherhood, rather than growing up to be afraid of childbirth, like so many of my friends are, and for a time, I was also. These dolls are A+ in my book.

3. by Arkay A.

On December 9, 2010 at 9:20 pm

These dolls are fantastic! They are not only handcrafted and very well made, but they give an accurate approximation of the female form (With wide hips) and a realistic view of giving birth/being pregnant. Little kids and older kids as well love these dolls, and the dolls are wonderful teaching tools for so many different fields.

Bravo for these dolls making news on a more ‘mainstream’ blog!

4. by Cathi Cogle

On December 9, 2010 at 9:54 pm

I sure would, in a heartbeat! I am a midwife, and for most children (small toddlers wouldn’t really get it) this is a great way to show how mothers really birth babies, not the slot in the belly, like pound puppies! I think it is great, the way the doll has the snap on the breasts, to show what they are really used for, and a placenta and cord. Complete childbirth education in one lovable package! :) Next birth I do, I am saving up and getting one.

5. by Bernadette Paige

On December 9, 2010 at 10:28 pm

Love these dolls! I want one for my babes! Beautiful, quality dolls that you can feel good about giving to your little ones.

6. by Tammy Levi

On December 10, 2010 at 1:31 am

I did buy one and can hardly wait to receive my “mama” in the mail!! What an excellent way to get my 3 year old understand her little sister on the way! This doll will make a treasured heirloom for my daughter to have once she has children of her own. The dolls are made of such an amazing workmanship they will stand the test of time… And play!!!

7. by Sarah

On February 13, 2011 at 11:32 am

Sorry to be a kill-joy bubble but I like to explain to my children birth information which is age appropriate. I don’t see the point of them knowing how the baby comes out just like I would not talk about the menstrual cycle beore age 11 or 12.
    If mom is giving birth at home, it is wonderful to let them be aware that it is normal and safe.
    Let them know that babies aren’t just taken out by doctors in the hospital.
    They can understand the beauty of birth without going into details of how; relaxation music, aromatherapy, etc.
    They can get involved by drawing a picture for the new baby or buying a present or the new baby can “buy” the toddler a present.
    It is a cute doll though.

8. by Donna

On June 20, 2011 at 9:56 pm

Is this some sort of joke? Do all the proponents of this doll have stock in the company? Treasured heirloom?! Yeah, I can just see your great-grandchildren playing with this doll in the attic and a mouse runs out of its vagina. Good luck with those therapy bills.