Infant Deaths, Injuries Associated with Nursery Products up Sharply in 2009

Faulty infant carriers, cribs, high chairs and other nursery products caused a 21% spike in injuries last year, Consumer Ally reported today on WalletPop.com.

Regulators estimated there were 77,300 emergency-room visits related to products aimed at children younger than 5 years old, compared with 63,700 in 2008, the CPSC said in a recent study.

“The numbers in nearly all these categories are far too high,” said CPSC spokesman Scott Wolfson. “It speaks to why we have new rules in place for two juvenile products and why we are pushing so hard to have new standards for cribs in place by the end of this year.”

Infant carriers, car seat carriers, cribs and mattresses, strollers, carriages and high chairs are associated with nearly three quarters of the injuries, with falls the leading cause. Keep up with the very latest on recalls with our helpful Recall Finder¬†and for more details on this story, see Mitch Lipka’s full Consumer Ally report.

Have you had the upsetting and unfortunate experience of dealing with a recalled product for your little one?

1. by Christine McDaniel

On November 3, 2010 at 4:05 pm

It is indeed alarming that these injuries are on the rise. I noticed that most of these were attributed to falls. I wonder how many of these ER visits are not so much a result of the product as a result of the improper use of the product. Parents need to read and comply with the instructions. I’ve seen far too many babies in inappropriate car seats (or not in an appropriate one correctly), or not buckled in strollers or put in bouncers on a raised surface. Even the most safe product can be a hazard if it isn’t used properly.

2. by Maggie Spencer

On November 3, 2010 at 5:06 pm

I agree with Christine. Although the number of recalls lately has been very astonishing to me, I do also believe that the proper usage of these products can greatly diminish injuries to children using them. Parents need to follow all guidelines of products they are using for the children. If the manual says not to use it a certain way then don’t. Those manuals are given with the products for a reason. I admit I have been guilty of tossing them aside because of excitment over new baby products, but understanding how the products works and how to use it safely is very important!

3. by Stephanie

On December 17, 2010 at 3:41 pm

I agree and also wonder if they’re being unattended and for how long. I can understand leaving them in a crib for bed or nap but if they’re in a high chair, carrier or stroller, why are they falling out? Is it neglect on the parents’ part?

4. by buy pandora jewelry

On July 24, 2011 at 1:31 pm

I just could not depart your site before suggesting that I extremely enjoyed the standard info a person provide for your visitors? Is gonna be back often to check up on new posts

5. by swimming noodle

On July 28, 2011 at 12:11 pm

It was something of great pleasure discovering your site yesterday. I got here just now hoping to uncover new things. I was not let down. Your ideas in new methods on this thing were informative and an excellent help to me. Thank you for making time to create these things plus for sharing your opinions.

6. by Norris Worst

On August 26, 2011 at 3:31 pm

The heart of your writing while appearing agreeable originally, did not really settle properly with me after some time. Someplace throughout the paragraphs you managed to make me a believer but only for a very short while. I still have a problem with your leaps in assumptions and you might do nicely to fill in all those breaks. In the event that you actually can accomplish that, I could certainly be amazed.

7. by cat body language

On September 21, 2011 at 3:09 pm

I am so disappointed that I forgot she has another western coming out on Sept. 1.

8. by Eusebio Lagoni

On November 15, 2011 at 6:25 am

While I agree with the basics in Infant Deaths, Injuries Associated with Nursery Products up Sharply in 2009 | GoodyBlog , I think the positive sentiment around at the moment is a concequence of a politically engineered set of circumstances. The demand for consumer credit is still poor and there is no improvement in the housing market. The developed countries are surviving on their politicians ability to just borrow and spend into their economies which is difficult to maintain. Regards, Eusebio Lagoni.

9. by bettingplay.net by thesubmitdirectorylinks.info

On November 15, 2011 at 8:36 pm

Hello there, You’ve done an excellent job. I will certainly digg it and personally recommend to my friends. I’m confident they’ll be benefited from this site.

10. by paris turf

On December 8, 2011 at 11:02 am

Great share it is without doubt. Friend on mine has been waiting for this tips.