Want To Boost Brain Power? Have A Baby!

ss_BPH088For years many women have thought that becoming a mom was the cause of a tired, jumbled brain. But now, a new study, published by the American Psychological Association, suggests that this life-changing event could actually enhance your brain function and make it grow.

The authors of the study, led by neuroscientist Pilyoung Kim, are of the belief that hormonal changes right after birth may contribute to the reshaping of a mother’s brain, according to an American Psychological Association press release.

Researchers took brain scans of 19 new moms at two to four weeks after birth and then again two to four months later, and found that their brains showed growth in midbrain regions involved with the experience of pleasure and in the prefrontal cortex, which is linked to reasoning, planning and judgment, the release states. In adults this kind of change does not occur so significantly unless there is major learning, brain injury or illness, or major environmental change.

The findings are especially true for new mothers who seemed to take more pleasure and joy in their role as a parent. Those who chose more positive words from a list of adjectives, such as “ideal,” to describe their infants, and words such as “proud” and “blessed” to describe their experience of parenthood, saw greater growth in their emotion-processing regions.

And, interestingly, Kim found that mothers who had had more nurturing from their own mothers during childhood had larger brain volumes in areas related to reading faces and empathy, and that these mothers showed more activation in these regions in response to infant cries.

Did you feel like your brain power increased as a result of having a baby?

1. by Kathleen

On October 29, 2010 at 11:08 pm

I’m not so much a believer in the idea that a woman’s brain power increases, but I do believe that a mom does whatever she has to in order to “get the job done”. It’s amazing what a mother of young children accomplishes in a 24 hour period…my hat is off to all those young moms that do it ALL and usually with very little sleep. BRAVO!!!

2. by Cessione del quinto

On October 31, 2010 at 5:26 pm

Well surely a baby means lot of work so it’s not surprise you have to improve your skill

3. by Jen

On November 1, 2010 at 3:30 pm

I don’t know if I believe that our brain power increases, but I do know that I feel more “scattered” during the day, and I do get a lot more done now that I have kids, than I did before kids. I know that on very little sleep, new moms are able to do amazing feats, including getting up, dressed, fed and get other children as well as a newborn ready for the day. If you have anywhere you have to be at a certain time, that takes real concentration and lots of luck! : ) Good luck new moms! : )

4. by Crystal Anderson

On November 1, 2010 at 7:47 pm

Having a baby changes you physically, emotionally, so why not increase your brain power. As a person with a disability with my first baby on the way, I understand this increase. Since I have many physical obstacles daily, it causes me to rethink and problem solve which exercises my brain and strengthens it. Since I’ve been pregnant, I am constantly thinking about this baby and obstacles that we may face. This thinking engages my mind and strengthens it just like work out equipment strengthens the body. Babies truly are a blessing!

5. by gegen akne

On November 24, 2010 at 5:16 am

This is one of my favorite apple blogs out there :) Great stuff

6. by free blog

On November 8, 2011 at 4:36 pm

hi!,I love your writing very so much! proportion we keep up a correspondence extra about your article on AOL? I need a specialist in this house to unravel my problem. Maybe that’s you! Having a look forward to see you.

7. by online poker spielen

On November 10, 2011 at 10:01 am

It’s the best time to make some plans for the future and it is time to be happy. I have read this post and if I could I wish to suggest you few interesting things or advice. Perhaps you can write next articles referring to this article. I desire to read more things about it!

8. by Stan Clark

On November 14, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Hiya, I’m really glad I have found this info. Today bloggers publish only about gossips and net and this is actually irritating. A good site with interesting content, this is what I need. Thank you for keeping this web site, I will be visiting it. Do you do newsletters? Can’t find it.

9. by learning management system comparison

On November 15, 2011 at 2:36 am

Nice site man Ive been shopping around for something similar to this!

10. by Darron Kuhner

On November 15, 2011 at 4:22 am

The super star musician, Lady GaGa has ended up touring in quite a few areas of the world, putting together appearances on Tv shows shows, and performing

11. by Good Ol Boys moving

On November 17, 2011 at 12:30 am

F*ckin’ tremendous issues here. I’m very happy to peer your article. Thanks a lot and i am looking ahead to touch you. Will you please drop me a e-mail?

12. by Sterling Sarnicola

On November 17, 2011 at 6:33 am

F*ckin¡¦ amazing issues here. I am very satisfied to look your post. Thank you so much and i am looking ahead to touch you. Will you kindly drop me a mail?

13. by caffeine

On November 17, 2011 at 6:35 am

I really like your writing style, great info, thanks for posting :D . “The superfluous is very necessary.” by Francois Marie Arouet Voltaire.

14. by Kraig Delage

On November 17, 2011 at 10:34 am

Just simply wanted to mention I genuinely respect your work on this blogging site as well as the high-quality blogposts you make. These form of blog post are generally precisely what keeps me going by way of the day. I found this post after a pretty good friend of mine mentioned it to me. I do just a little blogging myself and I am generally grateful to see other people adding top quality info to the community. I most certainly will absolutely be following and also have added your internet internet site to my myspace account for other people to take a look at.

15. by jane

On November 17, 2011 at 10:40 am

Brilliant. It is a particular better report that I have ever locate. But simply just how do you deal with all of the issues that you have at this point?

16. by Texas Insurance Services

On November 17, 2011 at 9:49 pm

Simply wanna comment on few general things, The website layout is perfect, the content is very wonderful. “All movements go too far.” by Bertrand Russell.

17. by Bula Ve

On November 18, 2011 at 1:04 pm

I enjoy your website.. great colors & design. Have you design and style this amazing site oneself or perhaps do you employ someone to accomplish it for you? Plz reply since I’m seeking to design my personal blog site as well as would choose to uncover where you bought this specific through. thank you

18. by Shiela Stonich

On November 21, 2011 at 3:06 pm

I had been thinking that this data was going to possibly be boring as a result of subject! Nevertheless the far more browse the a lot more desirable this gained.

19. by Milda Biamonte

On November 23, 2011 at 11:20 am

I have been thinking that this info would definitely be boring due to the topic area! But the additional browse the a great deal better it gained.

20. by Lorinda Wassell

On November 29, 2011 at 2:58 pm

Superb webpage you’ve right here but I used to be seeking to find out for those who realized of any community forums that cover the identical subjects discussed the following? I would absolutely like to become a component of on the web local community where by I could get views from other encountered folks that share exactly the same fascination. For those who have any suggestions, remember to permit me know. Thanks!

21. by Taylor Hargrove

On December 1, 2011 at 12:14 am

Howdy! It is my initially take a look at to the blogging site! We’re a workforce of volunteers and beginning a whole new job inside of a local community while in the exact area of interest. Your site furnished us favorable material to operate on. You’ve got finished a marvellous employment!

22. by Reuben Seigle

On December 1, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Have you ever at any time considered producing an book or guest authoring on other internet sites? I’ve a blog page primarily based within the equivalent topics you explore and would like to obtain you share some stories/information. I understand my prospects would have fun with your function. If that you’re even remotely interested, think free of charge to deliver me an e-mail.

23. by Clark Dacunha

On December 7, 2011 at 2:32 pm

I have to thank you for the efforts you have put in penning this web site. I’m hoping the identical high-grade web page submit by you down the road also. The truth is the inventive creating abilities features encouraged everyone to get my very own web site heading today. Actually blogging and site-building is definitely growing it’s wings and also expanding rapidly. Ones create is an excellent example.

24. by Ellsworth Bowker

On December 20, 2011 at 6:12 am

Hahahahahahaha, this politics related YouTube video is really so humorous, I loved it. Thanks in favor of sharing this.

25. by שירותי הובלות

On January 22, 2012 at 10:01 pm

Stackable boxes are a must when moving house, irrespective of self-drive van hire or removal company lorry. Sturdy green, recyclable boxes that can be reused repeatedly are the best choice for frequent house moves and for long-term storage – irrespective of where the home move happens. There is nothing more frustrating than having to reload many times, since the awkward manner in which situations are packed prevent a completely loaded van making one tour and something tour only.