Should Silly Bandz Be Banned from School?

Silly Bandz Sea CreaturesMommy blogger Dr. Wendy Walsh at MomLogic.com was recently shocked with bad news: Her child’s elementary school officially banned silly bandz.  Across the nation, the fun-shaped rubber bracelets have become contraband after proving to be a constant distraction and source of conflict in elementary and middle schools.  Instead of paying attention in classes, young kids are flinging and filching silly bandz or fidgeting and fighting over them.

Some parents see the confiscation of silly bandz as a welcome way to refocus students’ attention on the teacher instead of on trading with other students.  Other parents believe schools may be going too far in stifling student’s creativity and “freedom of expression” (Time.com).  For now, though, some schools are adamant about keeping silly bandz out of sight and, hopefully, out of mind.  Maybe one day, silly bandz will be forgotten like pogs (remember those?) that were once popular years ago.

As a parent, do you support the banning of silly bandz?  Has your children’s school banned them?

1. by Adrienne

On October 22, 2010 at 5:45 pm

I don’t let my preschooler wear his to school even though they don’t have a ban on them.

Teachers have more important things to do than settle property conflicts between children. The “loan” of a bracelet can quickly turn into a situation the teacher must arbitrate when both children claim ownership. When a child returns home in tears over a trade (either one that is unfair or one they later regret), parents often expect the instructor to resolve the situation.

Lost, stolen, and disputed property is a huge headache for teachers. This is part of the reason many schools ban children bringing electronics and jewelry.

Any desirable commodities should be left at home.

2. by Melanie

On October 22, 2010 at 6:26 pm

My kids have been in private school for the last six years. They had a very strict dress code, including hair requirements. This year they went to public school and they love being able to express themselves through clothing and hair. My son is growing his hair out and my daughter wears 20 or so Silly Bandz every day. Sure, it may be a bit of a distraction, but it’s also a fun part of being a kid. I remember jelly bands and the like being such a fun part of growing up. I say let them stay!

3. by Jill

On October 22, 2010 at 10:13 pm

I dont let my preschooler wear them to school although they havent but a ban on them as of yet.

I can see how this can become such a distraction for the kids. Its best to keep it for play dates.

4. by Dawn Bany

On October 22, 2010 at 11:06 pm

My kids both wear them – My daughter can only take them to school and play/wear them at recess – they aren’t allowed to wear them in the school. Don’t see any problem with them – but then again I’m not in the classroom to see what other children are doing with them.

5. by Eugenia Rivas

On October 23, 2010 at 2:29 am

I don’t see anything wrong with them i have 3 kids in school and they wear them all the time its just a fad it reminds me of when i was in school and we used to wear the little plastic diffrent colored bracelets it was the fashion back then and it was cool but like i said it was just something that is gunna come and go so i dont see the big deal.

6. by Peg Ilkka

On October 23, 2010 at 8:33 am

I’m fine with banning them. After volunteering in the classroom, I see that teachers don’t need anymore distractions in the classroom … there are enough already! Kids can be challenged to find other ways to express their creativity in the classroom. Save the silly bands for outside of school… it doesn’t seem like to much to ask for the good of their education.

7. by Shannoyn Woloszyn

On October 23, 2010 at 1:08 pm

What I have read about silly bandz, they sound like they could certainly be a distraction in the classroom. I agree with other commenters in that there doesn’t need to be any more distractions in the classroom. They should definitely be kept for outside the classroom.

8. by Lynne

On October 23, 2010 at 6:19 pm

I beleive that children should be allowed to wear them, but if they become a disruption to learning then there should be a warning and then removed. There are enough disruptions in a classroom, but children need to learn responsibility also.

9. by Michele C

On October 23, 2010 at 9:17 pm

No silly bands shouldn’t be banned from school. By making such a big deal out of them, you only make them more coveted by kids. Like Cabbage Patch, Beany Babies and every other fad, this too shall pass.

10. by Amanda

On October 23, 2010 at 11:04 pm

I think it’s fine to ban them. Kids can express themselves creatively in other, school-friendly ways (writing, drawing, etc), and then have something to look forward to when they go home. It even opens up doors for new social events – Silly Band Sleepovers, anyone? Schools have enough to deal with.

11. by Amanda H.

On October 24, 2010 at 11:15 pm

what the heck is that yellow one supposed to be?

12. by Patty

On October 25, 2010 at 11:21 pm

I think if the school has banned it, it is because they’ve finally have had enough of the distraction in the classroom. While your kid may be sitting quietly with their bands, be assured others are causing problems.

13. [...] Well, the results are in! While some of you strongly supported banning the potentially distracting fad bracelets, others thought schools were making mountains out of molehills. [...]

14. by Leigh

On October 27, 2010 at 7:46 pm

As a preschool teacher I do not allow silly bandz or any other jewelry (except earrings) because they lead to children becoming upset when: they are lost, broken, stolen or “traded” (which in preschool REALLY means your friend can wear it for a while but I want it back or I will be hysterical at home when I don’t have it anymore).

15. by Alexia

On October 29, 2010 at 4:42 pm

Just so you know I am a young girl, and i believe silly bandz deserve to stay. You all know kids will whine if you put a ban on them! I mean you know what? Silly bandz help people be creative without breaking dress code! Just so you all know,
    Silly bandz are not all distractions! In fact when you were kids you probably got to wear what was in style then (not now *hehe*) SO WHY THE F** CANT WE EXPRESS OURSELVES!?

GET OVER YOURSELVES AND THINK BOUT THE KIDS!

<3Alexia:)

16. by mbt shoes melbourne

On July 18, 2011 at 9:59 pm

hank a person for your helpful suggestions! We might possibly not have become this particular on my own! Can it be okay in order to research causes of getting this particular upon my personal web site basically add a back-link with this web page?

17. by www.polarft60.org

On July 28, 2011 at 12:00 pm

I really like the style of this site, I will doubtlessly return in the near future!

18. by Watches For Sale

On July 29, 2011 at 9:03 pm

We give you that means total dwelling based work opportunities and which have been available about belonging to the community. And daily operate out in the lookup motor optimization and social media marketing optimization or social media marketing merchandising and without doubt Syftaeem is mostly a decent and helpfully enterprise to setup your home laptop or computer based home business.

19. by Air Max Cheap

On July 29, 2011 at 10:21 pm

We’re glad to inform you that you simply shall be connected immediately with us for one particular yr on agreement foundation and generate a specific and ongoing monthly cash flow.

20. by Jessia Cizek

On August 28, 2011 at 8:36 am

Lovely just what I was looking for. Thanks to the author for taking his clock time on this one.

21. by Tracy Leuy

On November 14, 2011 at 2:31 pm

While I agree with the points in Should Silly Bandz Be Banned from School? | GoodyBlog , I think the positive sentiment around at the moment is a concequence of a false set of circumstances. The demand for consumer finance is still weak and there is no improvement in the housing market. The developed countries are surviving on their governments ability to just borrow and spend into their countries which is difficult to maintain. Regards, Tracy Leuy.

22. by Bettina General

On December 23, 2011 at 9:30 am

Thank you, I’ve just been looking for information about this topic for ages and yours is the best I’ve discovered so far. But, what about the conclusion? Are you sure about the source?

23. You really make it seem so easy together with your presentation but I in finding this matter to be really something that I feel I’d by no means understand. It kind of feels too complex and extremely broad for me. I’m looking ahead for your next put up, I?ll attempt to get the grasp of it!

24. by Eve Strider

On November 4, 2012 at 2:16 am

Yet another good article!

25. by Michal Gronstal

On April 3, 2013 at 7:59 am

Anyway I will be subscribing to your feeds and even I achievement you access consistently quickly.